Nerf Ruined Food

Willy Pete

Once you reach level 5 cooking, there's no longer a reason to quickly cook and consume lower condition food items. You can literally let everything from fish to energy drinks go to zero condition and use it to its full potential and I find this a wee bit OP if not ridiculous.

Instead, once an item reaches 0% condition, it should slowly start to lose calories (though not weight) until it reaches 50% of its regular calorie count. This process would take some time, it wouldn't be something that happens overnight. Therefore, you can still consume it and gain something from ruined food, but not a full meal's worth. To counteract food items spoiling in the world, I think all food items would have to spawn at 80% or above to give the player a fighting chance to collect them before they go bad.

Maybe you could halve the buffs that ruined energy drinks give, meaning they only last for half as long.

This way, players are enticed to use up their lower condition items first for fear of losing precious calories, but ruined items at level 5 cooking can still be used to a degree.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2020 at 6:11 PM, Fuarian said:

Right? Explain to me how your ability to cook food somehow makes you immune to disease from consuming ROTTEN FOOD?! That makes NO SENSE!

It could be argued that with great cooking power comes the ability to better determine what's safe and not safe to eat. For the longest time I trashed ruined food items until someone on here pointed out that they're still edible at level 5 cooking.

1 hour ago, Dum_Gen said:

"Nerf" means decreasing efficiency, making the game mechanics more balanced, not overpowered.

Thanks for getting that for me. Thought nerf was a proper word.

32 minutes ago, odizzido said:

Since food shouldn't be spoiling anyways(it's all frozen), I don't have an issue with it sitting for years at 0% and still being edible.

Frozen food can technically still go bad. Freezer burn and whatnot can slowly make edible things inedible.

20 hours ago, Willy Pete said:

It could be argued that with great cooking power comes the ability to better determine what's safe and not safe to eat. For the longest time I trashed ruined food items until someone on here pointed out that they're still edible at level 5 cooking.

But you're still actually eating the food. The entire thing. 

On 3/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, odizzido said:

Since food shouldn't be spoiling anyways(it's all frozen), I don't have an issue with it sitting for years at 0% and still being edible.

Try it. Go dump some food in the snow and come it a year latter if it is a pound of bloody meat like in game it will have maggots if not completely gone any thing that isn't sealed air tight is going to get some fungi or bacteria colon to decompose it or if it is completely sealed like in a chunk of ice eventually it will become hard, dry and devoid of nutritional value. The main thing is though looking at it from a game play perspective. I think that the game is much more interesting when you have to worry about how much food you should gather before it starts wasting. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, RegentRelic said:

Try it. Go dump some food in the snow and come it a year latter if it is a pound of bloody meat like in game it will have maggots if not completely gone any thing that isn't sealed air tight is going to get some fungi or bacteria colon to decompose it or if it is completely sealed like in a chunk of ice eventually it will become hard, dry and devoid of nutritional value. The main thing is though looking at it from a game play perspective. I think that the game is much more interesting when you have to worry about how much food you should gather before it starts wasting. 

I can't try it because I don't live in a place where the high for the entire year is -10. Just to go through your list, maggots are fly larve. Insects don't operate in sub zero temperatures so there would be no maggots. Second point about bacteria/fungi....they don't grow either. Now as to your third point, hard and dry. Well yes it will become hard since it is frozen and I am on the fence about dry. Freezer burn is when the moisture from food escapes, but if you bury it in the snow would that prevent it from drying out? I am not sure. Dum_Gen already linked about nutritional value.

Just to mention though, I do have some year+ old meat in my freezer that was frozen raw(so plenty of bacteria). It is sealed, but nothing is wrong with it. That's the closest I can get to the long dark.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, Willy Pete said:

Thanks for getting that for me. Thought nerf was a proper word.

It is.  Nerf is a reference to the Nerf toy guns that shoot foam darts.  To Nerf something is analogous to replacing live ammo with foam darts--it makes it markedly less effective.

:coffee::fire:
No thank you...
I say leave it to player choice. 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:13 AM, ManicManiac said:

I disagree with your assertions here.  It sounds like the main gripe here is that cooking level 5 allows players to not risk food poisoning... it seems to have little to do with whether or not a player can eat ruined things.  I've mentioned this many times before so I will briefly summarize it here: I think folks should be able to play how they want, and I don't think removing options from players is not necessarily the right answer.  If folks don't like that something is possible in the game... all they have to do is choose not to play that way.  If a player doesn't agree with being able to eat ruined food, then all they have to do is despawn it in a nearby container.  I see no reason to take the option away from other players.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:44 AM, ManicManiac said:

if Hinterland saw it as an issue, they would have addressed it and changed it.  Until such time, again we can just chose to not do those things if we don't want to... but there's nothing wrong with other players choosing to do those things.  I just don't think it's necessarily the right answer to take those options away from other folks.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:50 AM, ManicManiac said:

You can just chose not to do this... again I don't see a need to change the game if you can just choose no to do it if you don't like it.
...player choice :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1