Water transportation in The Long Dark. An unrealistic mechanic and what should be changed in the next survival update.

GarlicPops

Some really great ideas in this thread. I think it's a very valid point that food management right now is complex, and water management is trivial. I'd love to see more complexity in the water management, particularly with regards the transportation of water and plastic bottle spawning, or open-top storage of water if you're not transporting it around. Finally I could have a reason for keeping 30 empty tin cans at the Camp Office!

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, acada said:

But I recall there was a note on the water tower in the Mountain Town, that the water has been infected in the water pipes. It is possible it was in the story mode

I think I had it happen to me one time when I added toilet water, it caused all my stored potable water to go bad. I thought It was odd because i got so used to taking a pitcher to the toilet without thinking twice.

or maybe I didn't boil snow water and added it to my container without noticing..

8 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I think I had it happen to me one time when I added toilet water, it caused all my stored potable water to go bad. I thought It was odd because i got so used to taking a pitcher to the toilet without thinking twice.

That would be strange and new. And if you just thaw snow and not boil it, it will not make all your water to be not pottable. If you already have some pottable water and make some unpottable, these are stored separatelly in your inventory. 

On 3/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, GarlicPops said:

As we all know, The Long Dark’s goal is to be as realistic as possible when it comes to survival mechanics

I'm not disagreeing with the concept of adding new systems or tweaking existing ones  - but - just want to point out that.... Hinterland has said on numerous occasions that they are not trying to make a realistic survival simulator. They are trying to put the player before a set of choices to make for an interesting experience. The Disclaimer also makes this part clear...so just when looking at certain mechanics, keep in mind how they might balance out with other mechanics in the game. It's often a case of...change one thing, change everything...and not always for the better. 

Edited by Lohaan
grammar
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1