I wish I could map this…

dahemac

I can stand inside a shelter and map an area around me like I am using short-range sonar or something, but I cannot draw this valley on my map when I have climbed up here to a vantage point where I can see it all. I wish I could map what I can see.

CantMapThis.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, Fuarian said:

Perhaps the higher you are the more you can draw, but the less detail you get the further out it is. 

Or how about the game maps are more useful so that what you have ‘drawn’ in some way records the area in a meaningful way. TLD mapping, I mostly just do not do it because the maps are so ambiguous.

• Upvote 2

I find that if referenced properly, the current charcoal maps are both accurate and very useful.  I don't see anything "ambiguous" about it at all.

:coffee::fire:
I mean sure... we don't have a "gps" marker hand holding players to tell them their precise location or provide them with grid coordinates :D
but I'd argue, those kinds of things would be horrible for the Survival Sandbox experience.   The "gps" tag magically floating around our map in Story Mode is bad enough in my opinion.  I wouldn't want any such thing to be implemented in Survival.  I say the charcoal maps (and associated mechanics - by and large) are fine as is. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have a rather silly gripe about the map...it starts off black, and becomes light when you fill it in.  That's...not at all how charcoal works lol.  I would like it if the whole map were a blank piece of paper, like the background texture of the map but without any markings.  And then using charcoal fills in markings of stuff nearby.  Purely for the aesthetics.  But yeah, there was a game I played briefly called Miasmata, where in order to map you had to triangulate a position using prominent landmarks.  That was a pretty hardcore system, and one that made a lot of sense.  But yeah considering how TLD originally wasn't supposed to have a map at all, I'll take what I can get.  Charcoal is useful to mark down places you've cleared so you don't have to go sifting through pages of daily logs to see if you looted that one cabin in the middle of nowhere.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2020 at 6:38 AM, exeexe said:

Would be great if u could mark your map

Like i drop a riffle in a house then i go to my map and mark on my map that i dropped my riffle here

That functionality is somewhat already present. You can place notes in your journal, including 'rilfe dropped at mystery lake cabin'.

8 hours ago, Archonax said:

That functionality is somewhat already present. You can place notes in your journal, including 'rilfe dropped at mystery lake cabin'.

Yeah, but it would be more helpful for some people if you can use the map for making visual notes. Like, you can use one charcoal and then you can add notes to a house symbol and if you hover over it it will display your notes. That would make the map more useful.

• Upvote 1