Wolfs, cooked food and scent

When I carry fresh guts, meat  and skins the wolves gather interest slowly but when I carry cooked food they charge me like I had just eaten their first born. 

If it was/is intended for me to not be able to carry cooked food, why doesn't the scent indicator show scent and more precisely all 3 scent bars? They charge like it should be at 5 but there is no 5.

I had read that you couldn't carry cooked food in the radial but I experimented with loading up the radial with other foods to keep cooked out of radial and I still get the charging behavior.

I'd gotten tired and a bit of PTSD from the charging behavior on regular stalker. Clearly bugged AI there. No scent, no food , headed in the opposite direction and at 200 yards they would change direction and charge like a hellfire missile and on stalker they usually brought company. That got unplayable, made timberwolfs seem like puppies so I dialed down the radius and numbers. 

But now I still have this "Errant" behavior.

Left the revolver and a hundred twenty rounds of ammo along the railroad tracks. Its useless, it scares them when its empty but a full one they charge at like a rawhide chew toy. This should have been hotifixed long agao.

• Upvote 1

Do they charge you as described above no matter how many cooked meat you carry? As you may know already, if you carry more than 2 cooked meat, no matter their weight you start to exude scent. Meaning 3x10cals worth of cooked rabbit will smell the same as 3x1000cals of moose meat. You should see the scent bar activate if you pick up meat but it can be somewhat discrete, used to evade my attention for some time.

I hadn't noted the scent bar being dependent on pieces or weight. I keep looking for the scent bar. If I had one I would blame myself and not complain. I'm not on that stalker setting right now but I have been carrying cooked meat for a few days in Pleasant Valley and have evaded the wolves. I'm wondering if it is location specific or did I just get lucky because of the long sight line or wind. On regular stalker neither of those mattered. If I could see even a speck of the wolf the would about face and charge even from hilltops.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, cooked meat has always given stink, which you can test by picking up 3 pieces and see the stink-o-meter register 1 line of stink. The stink-o-meter displays a floating point number between 0.0 and 3.0. This should mean 1 piece of cooked meat could correspond to a stink value between 0.34 and 0.66 - although some types of cooked meat could have different values.

This poses a big problem early game when you have to go places. I recommend to eat or leave meat and then go, until you can kill the wolves.

The reason we all thought cooked meat was stink-free could be due to a bug where it didn't affect animals (or affected them very little), and now it works as intended. We also perhaps notice it more clearly now that the animals are interacting so immersively. <3

In either case, you can drop meat until they turn off you, if they haven't barked yet.

You should also never carry stink while harvesting an animal or passing time in any way - this can bring a wolf or a bear from a very long distance. I think this is what happened when you say wolves attacked right away. If you do this, after the time has passed, the animals are close and ready to attack, without going through the stages of howling, being interested, barking, and stalking.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2020 at 8:21 AM, Gun Tech. said:

and now it works as intended.

I'm not certain if its intended that 1 piece of cooked meat would provoke a stronger response than 1 piece of raw meat.  I've also noticed that they'll bee line from a distance with cured gut and not bee line until fairly close with an uncured gut.  I have been able to carry a full 20 lbs of raw deer meat and not provoked much of a response, but the same group of wolves from the same distance charge if I'm carrying even 1 piece of cooked meat.  This effect is consistent enough that I've actually worked it into my hunting routines and I no longer worry as much about transporting the raw meat.