The cannery wolf

Tbone555

So let's talk about the wolf in the cannery behind the keypad door. I have questions, such as how and why is he even in there since there seems to be no other way in than the closed door and the dock is collapsed. But that's a discussion for another topic. I see nothing but potential in this wolf.

Let's say he's taking shelter from the timber wolves. He was bitten and is bleeding all over the place, whimpering in the corner. Surely death is approaching... until you stumble across him. In this what if scenario you would have two options. You can put him out of his misery. Or, since he's too weak to fight you... you can wrap his wounds and sit with him for a while. Comfort him. Offer him some water or a bit of meat. Then when you return he might be up walking around. He would still growl at you and be skittish and wouldn't approach you. But he wouldn't charge you. You could continue feeding him and it would work like a trust meter of sorts. The more time you spend with him and feed him the more he would be comfortable around you until eventually you have your very own pet wolf. Now let's be realistic. This wouldn't be like dog meat from fallout. It would simply be a moral dilemma. Do you take on an extra mouth to feed to save this poor wolf's life against a mutual enemy, do you shoot him yourself and waste a bullet to ease his pain, or would you simply loot and walk away listening to his whines and leave him to his fate? Maybe he pulls through and next time you come to make some ammo he'd  be waiting for you, more aggressive than other wolves due to starvation and isolation. You can nurse him to health, visit him every day and even pet him when he warms up to you. But this wolf is more of a friend than a pet or a companion. He won't go exploring with you. But when he is healthy, and you're ready to move on to the next map and can't take care of him anymore, you would let him out of the building and he will simply scurry off into the woods. This would be killing two birds with one stone as it would offer a new awesome experience and gameplay mechanic to focus on, but also set the ground work for possibly having a companion to follow you one day. Like a little test trial.

I love this idea. It does run completely counter to the main premise of the "lonely apocalypse" and would take a lot of work to introduce; either of which mean this will probably never happen, but I still really like it. I've wanted some sort of dependent (animal or child) to care for for years. I still doubt that it'll happen though.

• Like 1

Nice idea. I would take it little bit deeper. When the wolfie is fully healed, you could release him. So from now there is one friendly wolf in the BI.

But will he go back to some pack? Or will he remain loner? If he is in pack again, I think you lost your friend. When the pack attack occurs and you kill some wolfs, your former friend could be there. And if we should be really pushing the idea, there could be one carcass with some recognizable marks.

But if he would be loner, you can recognize him from far and approach him with juicy raw steak. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, acada said:

Nice idea. I would take it little bit deeper. When the wolfie is fully healed, you could release him. So from now there is one friendly wolf in the BI.

But will he go back to some pack? Or will he remain loner? If he is in pack again, I think you lost your friend. When the pack attack occurs and you kill some wolfs, your former friend could be there. And if we should be really pushing the idea, there could be one carcass with some recognizable marks.

But if he would be loner, you can recognize him from far and approach him with juicy raw steak. 

I love that idea! That would be wild to release him and then one day have to kill a wolf with a unique scar that you healed and recognize your friend. That would be such a surreal experience.

17 hours ago, Fitz said:

I love this idea. It does run completely counter to the main premise of the "lonely apocalypse" and would take a lot of work to introduce; either of which mean this will probably never happen, but I still really like it. I've wanted some sort of dependent (animal or child) to care for for years. I still doubt that it'll happen though.

That's the idea of him not being a "companion" where he would follow you around everywhere. Knowing that you've been alone up until this point. And finally finding a friend in this cold, quiet apocalypse... just to have to release him and watch him run away into the woods, knowing you're alone again. That's really the whole point of that's experience I suppose 

I only mentioned the idea of having a follower companion because I know a lot of people have been asking for it. I personally wouldn't like that, I think it would take away from the experience. But if hinterland did want to go that way this would be a nice test trial to play with the idea :)