Tried real reishi tea - a review

So I decided to give the real reishi tea experience a shot. Unfortunately we don't have reishi in my part of the world so I decided to get some freeze-dried capsules with reishi extract. Quite a lot of reviews claimed that reishi tastes pretty bad but I wanted to try for myself. Can you believe it... it tasted like mushroom. Not strong all but with a very gentle taste of mushroom, like a bland mushroom soup. I wouldn't drink it again just for the taste but will keep it at hand if I get food poisoned ;) As for the science, some studies have shown some positive results, I'm sure there are negative effects too. 

Would love to hear opinions on eg fresh reishi and reishi tea.

(See the jar below, drew over brand/logo since it's HL:s forum and this is not a brand/supplement recommendation.)

untitled2.png

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some dried reishi from a farmer's market last year, it was quite bitter. Its still drinkable but I definitely prefer the more commercial preparation that I stumbled upon recently. Its probably more processed and less effective than the real stuff, but its quicker to make and easier to drink.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, deathbydanish said:

I picked up some dried reishi from a farmer's market last year, it was quite bitter. Its still drinkable but I definitely prefer the more commercial preparation that I stumbled upon recently. Its probably more processed and less effective than the real stuff, but its quicker to make and easier to drink.

Nice! I would like to try the real deal sometime, even if it's bitter. There's also something about grinding and preparing it by yourself I suppose. I liked the jar above cause it had not additives. Do you drink it "pure" or blend it with other ingredients? I like to add some ginger root, and a few drops of lemon.

I've also tried reishi tea, and my assessment was largely identical.  It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste good either.  If you want to take it as a dietary supplement, I suggest mixing it into coffee.  I personally don't feel the need to buy any more once my current bag of reishi powder is gone.

I've also tried rose hip and birch bark tea, and those two I'm a repeat customer on.  Rose hip tea is phenomenal with a little honey and lemon, and birch bark tea straight up kind of reminds me of watered down maple syrup.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:16 AM, ajb1978 said:

I've also tried rose hip and birch bark tea, and those two I'm a repeat customer on.  Rose hip tea is phenomenal with a little honey and lemon, and birch bark tea straight up kind of reminds me of watered down maple syrup.

I've yet to try birch bark tea but it sounds like it could be well worth a try. Birch leaf tea is supposed to be nice too. Right now the only plant I pick myself to make tea from is heather. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:01 PM, manolitode said:

Nice! I would like to try the real deal sometime, even if it's bitter. There's also something about grinding and preparing it by yourself I suppose. I liked the jar above cause it had not additives. Do you drink it "pure" or blend it with other ingredients? I like to add some ginger root, and a few drops of lemon.

What I did with the reishi I bought from the farmer's market was to just boil it in a pot and use that as my tea. From what I read you can reuse them, just dry them and store them for later.

The commercial reishi tea is this stuff.

Once i had problem with sleeping then one day after i had played this game many times i read somewhere that in traditional chinese medice (TCM) Reishi is considered to calm the mind, so i tried it and now i can fall asleep with no problems. I can also confirm if u take a lot of it (more than 12 drops) you can see weak closed eyes hallucinations

On 3/25/2020 at 11:27 AM, kristaok said:

Perhaps Rose Hip Tea would taste better?

I've been experimenting a little bit with rose hip tea lately. Tried @ajb1978's lemon/honey idea which I quite liked. The rose hips tend to dominate the other flavors with it's sweetness, if sweet is the right word here I'm not sure. I still have half a kilo of grinded rose hips so any ideas are welcome 😃 I think for tomorrow morning I'll try reishi- and rose hip-tea. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I also tried reishi tea, but mostly because I was sorting through my wife’s tea collection from some nutrition fair and found a few samples.  Same result as noted above: not bad or good, just mushroomy.

i wasn’t suffering from food poisoning at the time, so I only got a warming up bonus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 9:06 PM, manolitode said:

I've been experimenting a little bit with rose hip tea lately. Tried @ajb1978's lemon/honey idea which I quite liked. The rose hips tend to dominate the other flavors with it's sweetness, if sweet is the right word here I'm not sure. I still have half a kilo of grinded rose hips so any ideas are welcome 😃 I think for tomorrow morning I'll try reishi- and rose hip-tea. 

I know you're talking about ground rose hips, but if you're able to pick rose hips there are several things you can do with them, rose hip muffins are very good aswell as rose hip marmelade :)