Quinzhee: the snow shelter

dahemac

3 hours ago, acada said:

It could be an option. You can build snowshelter in 45 minutes. The igloo would take ~6 hours. But it would not need any cloths.

You would be dead before it would be finished - and if ur not freezing you wouldnt build it in the first place.

@exeexe OK Maybe not 6 hours. But you know, it should be longer than the snow shelter. Maybe 3 hours... My plays are mostly in voyager. You can spend 6h outside in this dificulty except for blizzard.

I have not built the snow shelter because I was freezing right in the moment. But I started in mid day because I knew I will spend night outside.

2 hours ago, exeexe said:

You would be dead before it would be finished - and if ur not freezing you wouldnt build it in the first place.

Snow shelters, I have built. I did not freeze to death while doing so. Igloos are long-term seasonal shelters. Since winter never ends, you could build igloos around the map, adding to or finishing them over time as you do clothing, and they would be there for months or indefinitely for you to shelter in when you were coming through the area. It would be an interesting game mechanic to see if a wolf had made it their home or a bear or moose destroy it while you were away.

Edited by dahemac

18 hours ago, acada said:

@exeexe OK Maybe not 6 hours. But you know, it should be longer than the snow shelter. Maybe 3 hours... My plays are mostly in voyager. You can spend 6h outside in this dificulty except for blizzard.

I have not built the snow shelter because I was freezing right in the moment. But I started in mid day because I knew I will spend night outside.

Even 1° below freezing is enough to maintain rate at -20% condition each hour. 'Feels like' temperature must be brought above 0°C (32°F) to end this state and stop the condition loss. The hypothermia affliction will set in after 2 hours of freezing, doubling the rate to -40% per hour. Surviving more than 3 hours while freezing is unlikely.

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Warmth

I am aware of the freezing mechanism. On the page you posted is mentioned that from warmth to freezing is for ecample 15h when feels like is -1°C. So 3hours for building igloo would be fine with feels like -7°C. -8 with slight condition loss. Plus of course you can make a fire to keep yourself warm, just like for carving big carcass. I know you would not start from the total warm stage. This is just for illustration. And yes if you start it when you are already freezing, it is too late and you would freeze.

I would see the igloo as long alternative to snow shelter. And in my POV it has to be balanced and the longer time to build could be good balancing. Otherwise there would be ton of igloos over the Great Bear.

3 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

I'm in favor of it being a longer crafting time. Far more durable than a snowshelter, but it should be a project. Otherwise, like @acada said, why wouldn't there be igloos everywhere for you to hop into?

I think it would make a great skill tree. And yes, especially for novices it should take a long time to make a so-so pile of snow with a hole in it. At level 5 it should take, as it does in reality 3–6 hours to make an igloo. And while the quinzhee should be for just a night or two, an igloo should last for weeks, unless there is a chance a marauding bear or moose stomps it, or a wolf moves in. Moreover I am not sure why anyone should care if another player wants to spend all their time building igloos all over the map. How would that affect your gaming experience?

27 minutes ago, dahemac said:

I think it would make a great skill tree. And yes, especially for novices it should take a long time to make a so-so pile of snow with a hole in it. At level 5 it should take, as it does in reality 3–6 hours to make an igloo. And while the quinzhee should be for just a night or two, an igloo should last for weeks, unless there is a chance a marauding bear or moose stomps it, or a wolf moves in. Moreover I am not sure why anyone should care if another player wants to spend all their time building igloos all over the map. How would that affect your gaming experience?

I'm not neccisarily saying it's a bad thing, but for me, that would make an igloo extremely OP. I never said that another player putting Igloos down would affect my experience. I just want it implemented in a way that I see as balanced. It's all perspective.

@EjectedCasings Balance is a tricky thing and I think Hinterland do pretty well with it. I doubt my custom settings, which I do not remember, and I have no idea how to check, but I doubt they would satisfy an hard-core max-difficulty player.

I would probably like to build an igloo in HRV to use as a base. But perhaps they are unnecessary because players are just going from building to building, or cave or whatever.