Guts and pelt do not dry beneath a camp fire

Maikleeps

If you mean drying wet stuff that seems like a good idea, however I am not sure that guts and pelts get wet like clothes. If what you are referring to is curing the pelts, the thing you are doing when you lay them on the floor inside for several days, that is not simply a drying process. Putting them over the fire would ruin the pelts. For more realism you would have to make a stretching frame for the hides and also soak them in truly vile substances to get them usable. More realistic hide and gut curing might be an interesting added mechanic, but using a fire would be less realistic.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maikleeps said:

Thank you for your quick answer. Yes, I meant curing. And I didn't know that the process of curing is not that simple. 

Conveniently, this video shows the steps and tools you would need to cure a moose hide properly in TLD. It is a big deal. Honestly I do not think you could do any such thing in winter. Perhaps this is too much entire to be included in a game, but also it might be cool to add some processing to curing, akin to the time it takes to make clothing items. Hilariously at one stage they do use a campfire to dry the hide, so I was some wrong. (Hide Tanning the Woods Cree Way)

Edited by dahemac

• 4 weeks later...