More than one bear at a time?

CMT1984

So I've always been under the assumption that only one living bear could be on the map at a time. Mystery Lake stalker run, shot the bear at unnamed pond and he ran off. So I went straight to the cabin north of the unnamed pond to look for the moose and there was a bear walking around in Clearcut too. I checked my stats and the 1st bear was not dead yet. 

I've never seen 2 bears alive at the same time.

17 minutes ago, CMT1984 said:

So I've always been under the assumption that only one living bear could be on the map at a time. Mystery Lake stalker run, shot the bear at unnamed pond and he ran off. So I went straight to the cabin north of the unnamed pond to look for the moose and there was a bear walking around in Clearcut too. I checked my stats and the 1st bear was not dead yet. 

I've never seen 2 bears alive at the same time.

Hi there, if i'm not mistaken, only moose is "one at a time" animal.

27 minutes ago, peteloud said:

It seems like it was the same bear twice.

I have never seen two bear at the same time.

That's what I first thought but my stats said I killed 2, and I harvested 2 bears.

26 minutes ago, Makex said:

Hi there, if i'm not mistaken, only moose is "one at a time" animal.

Ok I thought it was bears too but maybe I'm mistaken.

I once shot a wolf on the ice in front of the jetty on TW. When the harvesting process finished a bear was standing right next to me, I always crouch before doing stuff so it hadn’t reacted to me.  I shot it in the head and it dropped (I couldn’t have missed, it was a foot away).

I harvested it’s fur and, when the process finished I was inside another bear. I took a few steps back, it reared and I shot it in the head (Lucky shot).

But I’ve never seen two live bears simultaneously, or mooses either.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm on Timberwolf Mountain right now and I can confirm I have three active bears right now (I made round trip up to Eric's Fall and then back down the other side to the Mountaineer's Hut).

@CMT1984
Yes, you were definitely thinking of the moose...

On 2/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't claim to know definitively... but the following is what I've personally observed (or what has been posted by Hinterland) about the moose behavior:

There are various possible moose spawning points.  At the beginning of a survival sandbox, spawn points are pseudo-randomly selected from amongst the pool of possible spawn points.  Only one moose will spawn at a time, and that one moose will "migrate" between all the spawn points that were selected at the beginning of the run.  The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals.  Once successfully hunted, then the population respawn interval for the moose (at the selected difficulty) must pass before the migration process will begin again.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Ideally, I think I would like it if the timber wolf packs functioned in a similar fashion when they eventually escape Bleak Inlet and start invading other regions :D 

Bears do also have possible spawn points (marked by a small-ish pile of bones), but generally speaking, if you see bones then there is likely a bear roaming around some place in that territory (though not always, is seems that sometimes they're spawned in and sometimes not).   So far, I've noticed that for the most part, once I've spotted a bear... it's just a part of my life in that region from then on (or so it seems - I don't keep tabs on them everyday) :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, Daymo said:

I once shot a wolf on the ice in front of the jetty on TW. When the harvesting process finished a bear was standing right next to me, I always crouch before doing stuff so it hadn’t reacted to me.  I shot it in the head and it dropped (I couldn’t have missed, it was a foot away).

I harvested it’s fur and, when the process finished I was inside another bear. I took a few steps back, it reared and I shot it in the head (Lucky shot).

But I’ve never seen two live bears simultaneously, or mooses either.

Wow, what a story!  2 lucky headshots.

• Upvote 1

Timberwolf Mountain has multiple bears. I've had to deal with up to four on the map. As for the others, each map from what I've seen has two different spawn chances for the bears. (Could be more depending on the map.) Just be super careful once you're around those areas.