How's THIS for bad luck...

GothSkunk

In my experience, that would have been a kill shot on a moose. Every time I've hit one in the snout, it drops them. With bears though, the sweet spot seems to be between the ears and the eyes.

Well, it didn't turn out so bad.. you got him down in the end. Pretty funny though.  :coffee: 

So far, I've found three instant kill spots while goating around trying clear as much of the maps as possible (as part of my own personal challenge).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Explorers beware... so far I've found instant kill spots in the following regions: Broken Rail Road, Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway.  I would bet there are more, but I honestly don't want to find them.  Having a survival runs end this way is the absolute worst feeling!

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

So far, I've found three instant kill spots while goating around trying clear as much of the maps as possible (as part of my own personal challenge).

Explorers beware... so far I've found instant kill spots in the following regions: Broken Rail Road, Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway.  I would bet there are more, but I honestly don't want to find them.  Having a survival runs end this way is the absolute worst feeling!

That's brutal. They really, REALLY don't wan't us goating around anymore, do they?

I wish they would eliminate the insta-kill nature of these zones and just have them kick you back out to a nearby spot. That would accomplish their goal of keeping us out of areas they want us out of as well as not ending our runs in abrupt and shocking fashion. Insta-kill is not necessary.

@jhickie
Honestly, I think these are just errors on the map.  When you step in those particular spots, it registers as though you just feel off a cliff... the death text always say that I died form massive internal injury from falling (even though my character didn't fall).

I mean, I suppose it could be intentional... but so far it's only one (very specific) spot in the regions I mentioned.  It's not used to guard rail other "out of bounds" areas.  I've found some invisible walls in certain areas of the other maps that clearly serve that purpose.

But you're right, regardless of why... it is brutal. :D

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:08 AM, ManicManiac said:

@jhickie
Honestly, I think these are just errors on the map.  When you step in those particular spots, it registers as though you just feel off a cliff... the death text always say that I died form massive internal injury from falling (even though my character didn't fall).

I mean, I suppose it could be intentional... but so far it's only one (very specific) spot in the regions I mentioned.  It's not used to guard rail other "out of bounds" areas.  I've found some invisible walls in certain areas of the other maps that clearly serve that purpose.

But you're right, regardless of why... it is brutal. :D

I know there's been a few areas patched with instakill walls to prevent out of bounds exploration. Some old screenshots of areas that are a work in progress were discovered thanks to such tricks. Not linking to it since the admins have asked not to reveal unfinished regions, but you can still find these if you look.

As for me, I'm always leery of trying new routes. I'm very guilty of sticking to my known paths whenever I play, taking the same route across the maps to reach the points of interest. I have respect for those like @ManicManiac who challenge the game's boundaries, trying to get just that one bit of map revealed. It takes guts to risk ending a run thanks to a bad fall into an unclimbable crevice or an invisible killzone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, jhickie said:

In my experience, that would have been a kill shot on a moose. Every time I've hit one in the snout, it drops them. With bears though, the sweet spot seems to be between the ears and the eyes.

Yes the moose is weak in the head. But the bear not ! Is the hump the sweet spot not the head.