Does the rifle not scare wolves?

Glflegolas

Hey folks,

I'm playing intermediate difficulty in Wintermute, and it doesn't seem like the hunting rifle has any effect on wolves whatsoever. I took two shots at a wolf, and still got into a struggle.

Anyone else experience this? Wolves are scared of gunshots in survival mode.

@Glflegolas

Shots do scare wolves, even when those shots miss... however sometimes when a wolf charges and manages to get "too close" triggering the attack animation... it's already kind of "to late."

I've had situations in the past where I got off a shot (admittedly a bit too late, that hit them on the back), but because they were "too close" the gunshot didn't interrupt the charge in time.  Ultimately I think it's a matter of timing in the mechanics... but I think the result is spectacular.  The shot goes off, you see the spatter of blood, but you get jumped anyway... the struggle ensues and you grab your knife -- two stabs later, you have some ripped clothes but you stand triumphant.

Also it's a good incentive to get better at taking longer shots, and take down a threat before it becomes a true danger.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@Glflegolas

Also it's a good incentive to get better at taking longer shots, and take down a threat before it becomes a true danger.

That's the bane of my existence in this game. I can't hit anything with the rifle unless it's at point blank (a.k.a. sneaking up on something until I'm ~10 paces from it). The gun sways too darn much... and I've been playing for 155 hours.

The revolver is a little easier for me, I can often land a successful hit from a little farther away with that.

3 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

the bane of my existence in this game

I can relate... in all the time I've spent in this game, I'm still fairly garbage with the bow and arrow :D
Though I admit, I think it's because I've just never forced myself to really rely on it. 

If I can finally get the mapping portion of my personal challenge done, I'll be dedicating some to time to finally getting really proficient with the bow. :D

Hmm. I shot at a wolf once and missed, and had time to get off a second shot. This still didn't affect the wolf.

Maybe wolves are now only scared of gunshots that pass very close to them? If that's the case, the sway of the rifle makes it nearly useless for self-defense.

19 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

the sway of the rifle makes it nearly useless for self-defense.

Not at all :) (personal opinion)
From my experience it's very effective, it just takes some practice.  The sway isn't much of a factor if your survivor isn't tired.  The best general advice I can give is just to pay attention to sight alignment and sight picture.  If those aspects are good... you'
ll rarely miss.  It's also beneficial to "pick your battles" (so to speak).  You can always lead a stalking wolf/bear away to a place that would be more advantageous for you (like say some open/flat ground).  Sometimes where you fight can be the critical component.

:coffee::fire:

On 2/17/2020 at 7:27 PM, Glflegolas said:

The gun sways too darn much... and I've been playing for 155 hours.

When you first raise the rifle, it is pointing directly straight ahead, and your aim is dead on. Then the sway kicks in.  So the trick is to raise the rifle, aim, get your target centered on the screen.  Then lower your aim...then quickly raise the rifle and fire off a shot in one smooth motion.  Don't give your aim a chance to go off-center.

• Upvote 1

Recently I had close wolf encounter. He ran at me and I had the rifle in my hand. No time to switch to revolver. I shot at him and saw blood. But he continues to run. So I prepared mentally myself to struggle. But what was the surprise when the wolf just ran near me crying.

Before I had another encounter which was pretty same, but ended in struggle. I think I shot the wolfie little bit later. But as @ManicManiac mentioned it was short encounter. No clothes damaged, no major injury. I think it took two knife swings.

This picture is from struggle, where I hit the wolf before, he jumped. But no clicking frenzy, the struggle was immediately over with this bloody diarrhea case.

Diarhea.jpg.f731359235a613f7746aa4d9ef5a57a5.jpg

At the end I think if the wolf crosses some line, he will attack you shot or not. Of course if the previous shot was not crit.

Guest jeffpeng

@ajb1978hint is it.

Another important factor is how rested you are. This also factors into how fast and how much sway kicks in. I'm also rather certain that fatigue plays a role in the "accuracy range". Accuracy range is a loosely defined statistic at which range you can hit targets reliably, and it increases with skill and (I think) rest. If you fire a rifle past said accuravy range there is an increasing chance that you miss your target despite "actually" hitting it, based on sheer probabalistics.

So, in a nutshell:

- Follow @ajb1978's wisdom.
- Be rested.
- Read books and practice.

Also about charging wolves: Don't aim at their head, aim at their feet. There is a lot of latency going around: The time your brains takes to process the image and issue the right commands that eventually leads to a muscle contraction clicking the mouse, which takes about 200 milliseconds for a typical human being, and then the game to register your action and actually calculate it, which takes at least two frames plus the remainder of the frame currently being drawn, which equates to another ~33 to ~50 milliseconds. So between you wanting to issue a shot and the shot actually registering are about a quarter of a second, and a charging wolf close to the player might travel enough distance that a headshot actually hits it in its behind or misses altogether.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:39 AM, acada said:

At the end I think if the wolf crosses some line, he will attack you shot or not. Of course if the previous shot was not crit.

Correct, but the damage sustained from the shot is factored into the struggle, so such a struggle is easily won, even on Interloper, assuming you aren't already on your last leg, have a weapon and are reasonably rested.

Edited by jeffpeng

I think, there are two more factors to sway.

1. The mobility penalty from clothing. I have about 45% mobitlity penalty in my currect run (yes I am walking tank). And when I start aiming, the bar in right lower cornes starts from ~75%. Just like the bar for the climbing on the rope and just like the bar for sprinting.
  2. Freezing. When you freeze, the sway kicks in earlier.

Little bit off topic. The level 5 revolver skill is really working. Recently I was jumped by a wolf. I had the revolver in my hand. I managed only to turn around and click the left mouse button when wolf was about in middle of the screen. And it ended not well for him. Found my steaks few hours later.

• Upvote 1