Bow drill/fire plow

XLWatercube

@XLWatercube
I think a "hand drill" would be better, but honestly there are more than enough resources for fire already...  While I do think a hand drill would be a really nice touch, ultimately I think it's just not necessary.

:coffee::fire:

On 7/24/2019 at 3:25 AM, ManicManiac said:

One thing that I (and others) have suggested in our wish list threads in the past has been friction fire.  Many people get caught up on the "bow-drill," probably because it's more familiar... but I think the "hand-drill" would be better since it's simple (and the crafting recipe could conceivably be just a stick and a piece of cedar - because these are already in the game).   ***for the sake of balance... I have also recommended that this ability would be unlocked once the player's fire starting skill rose to a more advanced level... like Level 5  - this way we have the magnifying glass and friction fire to rely on if we live long enough to run out of matches.  :D ***

handdrilllrg.jpg.77adc4f754bbd1e2c8d56be658e0ca03.jpg

Also since I only mentioned in passing and not explicitly beforehand... we do currently have the magnifying glass we can use as a fire starter during clear sunny conditions.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

- Maybe we could use a stick/cat tail stalk and a piece of cedar as a hand drill for making a friction fire?

Edited by ManicManiac

Not including friction fire sources appears to be a deliberate design choice by Hinterland. If you want a fire, you have to either burn a finite resource, or wait until the conditions are right. It's part of the core strategy in the course of surviving.

Besides, I really can't say I've ever completely run out of matches in any game I've played. Properly husbanded, a single match can last a day or more, especially if you're sleeping in short bursts while travelling with a chain of torches.