I can’t turn my head, and the aurora should wake me.

dahemac

It is odd that the camera rotation, when you are inside a car prevents you from turning your head and looking out or into the back. There are probably camera rotation angle limits somewhere set to far too small an angle. I do not need to be able to spin my head like in the exorcist, but the left and right rotation should be enough that the views overlap and I can see what is out, or in, the back.

While playing, while sleeping, especially at the Cannery Workshop, I have jumped at the aurora starting and everything kicking into life. Probably this should disrupt your sleep. This would have the gameplay advantage of sometimes making getting enough rest problematic, but also allow you to get up and use the power-on time if you need to.

• Upvote 2

Agreed to both points. there was a mod  that allowed full rotation in the car, so it must be something that can be overwritten/changed.

It is also annoying that you can't break sleep once you've started. There are many times I've set myself up for a good night's rest only to hear the aurora, and not being able to wake and make use of it. I would think that the lights flickering and buzzing would be enough to wake anyone already on edge from having to scavenge and survive in this environment.

• Upvote 2

On 2/15/2020 at 8:18 PM, Silverhour said:

I would think that the lights flickering and buzzing would be enough to wake anyone already on edge from having to scavenge and survive in this environment.

When I am at the Cannery Workshop to use the machine I now just sleep in one or two hour increments. You are right that would wake people.

• Upvote 1

The car one is pretty obvious and something that got in my way just a few days ago. I was also asked by the kid watching me play why I couldn't look out the back of the vehicle.

The aurora one is cool and I like that too, but that could be an option maybe. I think personally I would sleep through auroras but I've apparently slept through earthquakes and trees being cut down. But I know not everyone is like that. I am happy either way, or having it sometimes wake or and sometimes not. I do like the idea of preventing sleep to kinda mess things up for you, it would be cool to see how it would actually play.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think it's better that the aurora doesn't wake up the player.  I say that because if we want to take advantage of the aurora, then I think it should be a choice that the player should make, and plan for... as in sleeping in 2-3 hour increments.  I never did like the idea of the game giving us safely nets...  I'm a firm proponent of player choice.

:coffee::fire:

On 2/17/2020 at 11:48 PM, ManicManiac said:

I think that player behavior doesn't need to be fixed by a developer... so I still don't think there is anything about this that needs fixing on Hinterland's end.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, ManicManiac said:

To me player choice is more powerful at adjusting the experience than wanting to change the game itself.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Personally, I think it's better that the aurora doesn't wake up the player.  I say that because if we want to take advantage of the aurora, then I think it should be a choice that the player should make, and plan for... as in sleeping in 2-3 hour increments.  I never did like the idea of the game giving us safely nets...  I'm a firm proponent of player choice.

Hrrm... but it's strange that your avatar can go to sleep, saying "I shall only sleep for exactly two hours, then I shall miraculously wake from my sleep to decide whether to sleep another exact one or two hours". The player choice should really only be whether to go to sleep or not, and there should be no control over when to wake up. In the end, there is no alarm clock available in this game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Hrrm... but it's strange that your avatar can go to sleep, saying "I shall only sleep for exactly two hours, then I shall miraculously wake from my sleep to decide whether to sleep another exact one or two hours"

I know what you're getting at, but... sometimes a video game just has to "video game." :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 2/5/2020 at 2:24 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't much try to scrutinize the creative choices that were most likely made for gameplay reasons.

Edited by ManicManiac

14 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Hrrm... but it's strange that your avatar can go to sleep, saying "I shall only sleep for exactly two hours, then I shall miraculously wake from my sleep to decide whether to sleep another exact one or two hours". The player choice should really only be whether to go to sleep or not, and there should be no control over when to wake up. In the end, there is no alarm clock available in this game.

As I get older, this is perfectly normal for me as I need to pee about every 2 hours. lol

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Hotzn said:

In the end, there is no alarm clock available in this game.

I've said in the past that a wind-up alarm clock would be great.  Like if you go to sleep, you always sleep until you are fully rested.  Unless you have an alarm clock in your inventory, at which point the game plays as it currently does.  But for all the sense it makes, you'd have people crawling out of the woodwork complaining how it ruins the game, they're never playing again, blah blah.  Happens every time some major new thing is added, before everyone quiets down and learns to deal with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I've said in the past that a wind-up alarm clock would be great.  Like if you go to sleep, you always sleep until you are fully rested.  Unless you have an alarm clock in your inventory, at which point the game plays as it currently does.  But for all the sense it makes, you'd have people crawling out of the woodwork complaining how it ruins the game, they're never playing again, blah blah.  Happens every time some major new thing is added, before everyone quiets down and learns to deal with it.

It is true. The current game implies that you do have an alarm clock.

alarmClock.jpg

7 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Very true. It might be worth thinking about what the game would be like if going to sleep would mean not knowing when to awake. I remember there was a time when the game would sometimes wake you up, saying "something woke you up" (can't remember the exact wording). That was exciting and a little creepy at first, for a while I thought something new had been introduced, like someone sneaking around your shelter at night, or rats scuttling about. But there was nothing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dahemac said:

As I get older, this is perfectly normal for me as I need to pee about every 2 hours. lol

I had to laugh at this, but at the same time would like to point out - if you don't know it already - that this might be an indication that a certain organ in your underbelly has expanded. A natural phenomenon for many males with growing age, but something that should be kept an eye on. From a certain age onwards, a man should have some things checked regularly, especially if confronted with the phenomenon you describe.

Nah it would be better to craft some sort of an alarm. It would be quite easy since you have open wires laying around, so all you do is attach ur alarm to the wires and when there is electricity the alarm goes off and you wake up.

Optionally, but i dont know if this works, you put your bedroll on a wire, wake up from electrocution, just you now have to deal with being burned, but its manageable.

You definitely should not wake up just because the sun goes through an anormaly

the car thingy is quite obious, so no reason to talk about it, obiously Hintrerland would have changed it looong time ago if thats what they wanted.

Edited by exeexe

8 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I had to laugh at this, but at the same time would like to point out - if you don't know it already - that this might be an indication that a certain organ in your underbelly has expanded. A natural phenomenon for many males with growing age, but something that should be kept an eye on. From a certain age onwards, a man should have some things checked regularly, especially if confronted with the phenomenon you describe.

Prostate regularly examined. Thanks for concern. 😜

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, Hotzn said:

Maybe fix an alarm clock with the workbench?

On 2/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, dahemac said:

It is odd that the camera rotation, when you are inside a car prevents you from turning your head and looking out or into the back. There are probably camera rotation angle limits somewhere set to far too small an angle. I do not need to be able to spin my head like in the exorcist, but the left and right rotation should be enough that the views overlap and I can see what is out, or in, the back.

I don't know how I did it, but I once entered a car and was looking backwards in the seat. I managed to look in 180 degrees behind me until I looked forwards and then I got locked back into the regular front and sides viewing angle.

Um, back to the OP, yes please to both of these! The original “something wakes you up” was the aurora. And I think it’s way more immersive to have the character sleep deep if exhausted, alarm or no. It’d make sense you could wake more easily if you were well rested, but for “red” exhausted states, when you sleep you should not have a time choice less than x hours. And in the “quiet apocalypse” electronics and noise would absolutely disturb your sleep, along with the massive electromagnetic fields that create the phenomenon. And not being able to at least TURN AROUND, even if they don’t let you grab the items in the back seat is so ridiculous. They even admit in the load screen text one of the major reasons to enter a vehicle is to escape the wild life!! You would absolutely be whooping out all windows to see when they are before emerging again!!! Sorry, this one has bothered me from day one...

• Like 1

I like both things fine they are.  I think the aurora thing (once again) goes back to player choice.  If we want to take advantage of the aurora, I think the player aught to plan accordingly and "nap" instead of selecting to sleep 7-12 hours (then complain that the aurora didn't conveniently wake us up).  We made the choice, and I think we should live with the consequences.  I say that because it's really easy to nap in shorter increments if we do want to take advantage of the aurora.

What if we wanted to sleep the whole night and had no use for the aurora at the time?  Well then, I'd bet we'd have folks complaining if did wake them up when they didn't want it to.  This game puts more onus on the player than I think most folks are used to, so I get the rather constant desire to have the game set up little safety nets to help "save the player from themselves."  However, I very much respect that (for the most part) this game doesn't do that. 

As for the range of motion in the car... look, I get what OP (and some of the other posters) are getting at.  However, I see it as method of making taking cover in a car, a little bit of a riskier proposition.  On the other hand we can still hear things skulking around when they are close to the car.  We can complain about the "blind spots" or we can realize that we can use audio cues to let us know let us know if something is dangerously close.  I get gripes folks have about it... but honestly it's not that big of an impediment if we keep our wits about us, I mean we do still have at least a 180 degree rotation to look around with (left, front, and right) :)

Anyways, I just don't think not being able to swivel ones' head 240 or 360 degrees in a video game (especially in one very specific set of circumstances) is really that big a deal.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:55 AM, ManicManiac said:

Personally, I think it's better to accept and embrace the game for what it is.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:24 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't much try to scrutinize the creative choices that were most likely made for gameplay reasons.

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest kristaok

I agree, we should be able to turn around and look behind us in the car from the front seat. As for Auroras waking us up, nah I can't see it. :P 

YMMV, but the question, which has been around awhile, did intrigue me so some time ago I sat in my car, put my back against the seat back, and tried looking left and right.  I could look over my left and right shoulder but not much farther which was at best some peripheral vision.  To actually extend how far towards the rear I could see I had to lean a bit forward so I could rotate my upper body or at least my shoulders.  So the game limitation seemed reasonable even if limiting. 

Now there is nothing to prevent the devs from assuming that a player would do something similar to look more to the rear but it seems to me that they chose not to.  They could have enabled the rear view mirrors for limited rearward viewing but that was likely too costly/complicated to implement for the value to the game (I assume someone probably thought about it).