Lost and Found boxes in transition zone caves

Tactical Ex

Bottom line question: If a lost and found box appears in the cave, which end of the cave should I expect it to appear?

Can anyone cast some light on how this feature is expected to work with transition caves? I have not been able to find solid information on how this is expected to behave on the forums so far. I'll test it out if need be but would rather not dump the time into it if the answer exists already. 

Scenario prompting the question: I have loads of resources dropped (some food, some firewood, mostly ammo crafting goodies) inside the transition cave between FM and BI (items are on the BI side). The expectation is that I will be able to move all the goods to the cannery in a few trips after culling the local timber-wolf population with the limited protection supplies I've stockpiled. 

My current assumption floating around in my grey matter is that the boxes appear at the entrance you first encounter. I've seen Lost and Found boxes in indoor areas (Logging house in CH) and they spawn by the door (but there was only one door) so maybe the boxes spawn at the first entrance which the player encounters? If that is true then it would be beneficial for me to enter BI through the ravine and go to the transition between FM and BI from the BI side so that my loosely strewn resources spawn in a box close to where I originally dropped them. Then again, I don't know if they will even spawn inside caves so mostly assumptions are being made.

The lost and found boxes do spawn inside of interior caves/mines at the entrance area.  I think, in the case of Cinder Hills, that it appeared on the Coastal Highway side.  That may have been because the Pleasant Valley side of Cinder Hills was changed to a more "damaged" mine entrance.  Since I came in from Coastal Highway, it might be, as you speculate, that it appeared at the side where I entered the mine.  I don't know if anybody has gone to the trouble to test that hypothesis. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to test this out. 2 observations which are of note ...

1. Entering Forlorn Muskeg from the cave leading to Bleak Inlet does not place the lost and found box at the entrance to the cave. It appears that this box will always appear at the FM/ML connector. 

2. Even though I had a boat load of supplies strewn about in the BI/FM cave, no lost and found box was triggered and everything was where I left it.

My issue dealt mostly with the cave so nothing negative occurred for me in that regard but having to drag 33k of coal and meat back to the forge in FM is always going to be a walk from the tunnel exit across the muskeg 😕

Edited by Tactical Ex
grammar