Favorite map

EjectedCasings

Favorite map?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hard to nail it down to just one, they each have their own charms.

I used to hate DP because of CrH, now I love it. It's small, has lots of loot, coal in the mine, metal in the trailers, beachcombing, bear and deer to hunt, minimal wolves, a forge, multiple bedroll spawns, and a stim!

Close second for me would be HRV and CH.. CH has a bit of everything and HRV has tons of mushrooms/rosehips/saplings to forage as well as good loot in the ice caves.

Most hated for me would be BR. Always seems to turn to fog or blizzard when I get there, bad sightlines and sneaky wolves, and the Shed is very wolfy. I've littered the ground in front of the Shed with 9 wolf corpses and will still hear barking. It's insane.

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Hard choice between TWM and HRV, but while I really love TWM, mostly because I sort-of consider that map "home", HRV simply is the "objectively" best map in the game in terms of innovative level design and overall concept. Every visit to HRV is a challenging adventure, no matter if you are 1 day in or 100 days in, and no matter how often I'm there I still get occasionally lost - which is something I can't say for other maps. It's always a sight to behold, and the loot is actually very good. You haven't played the game until you toured HRV with a fresh Interloper :D 

If we are talking best map for long-term survival I guess CH would be it, especially if you are well versed with your weapon of choice. Later in the game the frequent wolves turn into an advantage since they can provide a steady and reliable stream of income (food). It also features one of the easiest moose spawns in the game (at Quonset) and a bear you can hunt with relative safety (the one at Misanthropes). You have fishing, you have rabbits, you have ample deer spawns on the ice, you have beachcombing if you're into that (Hint: I'm not), the only real drawback is that there is no cave to sit out cabin fever - but that time is probably better spent fishing anyways. (CoHoHo - it's fishmas!)

Worst map .... gameplay wise that's somehow still PV, even though the revamp really made the map so much better (as I keep telling everyone, sorry🤣). The distances combined with the blizzards have cost me so many days, and because of that it's probably the most un-interactive map in the game. Half the time you are hiding in some house, cave or corner to let the next snowstorm of doom pass. I really get the concept behind the region, and I understand why it looks good on paper ... but it really isn't fun. At least with the revamp finally there's something happening on the map.

Design wise .... I guess BR. The map feels lackluster, more like a transition zone that doesn't really go anywhere. I mean it was basically implemented as part of Episode II, and the mostly linear nature of the map shows this very clearly. Plus the entire area around the MYard is more like a combat zone than actually a place in the game - even on Interloper you can rack up half a dozen wolves no problem, and the next day there are already new ones. On the flipside: if you are into eating wolf and you have Archery V ... with the forge since Redux and the workbench ..... you can live a very, very, very long time here if you just bring enough saplings.

At present, my favorite place to live is Timberwolf Mountain.  I really love the variety of paths and terrain, as well as the abundance of game for hunting (in most cases you have good access to every kind of pelt).  Also, fishing... fishing is always good for the food stocks and lanterns. :D 

Don't get me wrong, Mystery Lake will always be home to me.  I think it will always be home for those of us who've been playing since the days when Mystery Lake was our entire world.

I do, also, really enjoy Desolation Point and Forlorn Muskeg... but in the end I'd have to settle on Timberwolf Mountain as top of my list.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

It varies but right now it's Forlorn Muskeg because:

* Vast terrain, no coldproof shelters unless you keep to the mountainside. 

* An abundance of sustainable resources,

* Very enjoyable once you find the good spots and get a grasp of navigation across the small islands.

* Spence's with crafting table and forge. (Brain deploy the good reward chemicals when finishing a forging session).

* Relentless thin ice.

HRV get high points too for its complexity and Beauty, on the minus side are the imo unelaborated shelves. Love CH for reasons mentioned above but there's just something about the lack of infrastructure on the inhabited islands. No bridges, no boats (except the small skiffs on other parts of the map) so the narrative congruity isn't quite there. EDIT: Meaning, how would someone use to live there during summer when the ice is melted.

Edited by manolitode

CH by far i enjoy living at the most, you can do everything you could want without venturing much away from fishing camp.  TWM i also really enjoy, tons of action and adventure, and the no loading screen home is a huuuugggeee plus (i play on an old potato xb1).  mystery lake always feels like home but i get bored there very easily.  bounce back and forth between trappers and camp office but it just gets old for some reason.  BR and BI are my least favorite, BR is small and feels much like an afterthought, it goes nowhere and there isnt any great loot you wont have already by the time you get there.  BI has potential but i really dislike the direction they went with the EP update, i went, i crafted ammo, i fixed some tools, but the entire idea feels cheesy.  people were surviving years before ammo crafting, so why did we need that instead of interesting crafting that gives us new gameplay options?  also the timberwolves feel very rushed and just overall a waste of resources.  there isnt anything special to do with the pelts, why would i want to risk attack to kill them?  you can survive an eternity on bows/arrows alone, the only reason u would have to craft ammo would be to deal with the timberwolves constantly.  i would have rather seen an entirely new foe accompanied by a new pelt/crafting option.  lastly, the little obstacle course to get to the mill feels out of character for TLD, and in general the idea of the aurora producing enough electricity to power lights and machines seems silly to me

This is a tough poll because all maps are pretty good, I play Interloper a lot and I always seemed to end up on Mystery Lake  .  Coastal Highway is a great map but Quonsit Hut is the crafting place and it's always has so many tricky wolves running over the high banks by the road the outdoor workbench you need to kill the bear and wolf patrolling before you can use it. Pleasant Valley is a great map but I get cabin fever too much because the weather sucks. Timberwolf Mountain is pretty good but the Mountaineers Hut requires a fire all the time dito to Forlorn Muskeg and Spence Homestead. Desolation Point where I am at on my current run is also tricky for cabin fever although there is plenty of coal in the mines. Hushed River is where I die most of the time early on and Mountain Town,Bleak Inlet,Broken Railroad is too wolf infested.....

Okay... so I haven't actually played all the maps.

Lemme explain

I feel the need to 'savor' every map to try and get a feel for it and what it is. What I mean by that is I like to start a new character on every map. So far I've worked through Mystery Lake, Mountain Town, and am working on CH and PV. And I have to say, PV in Voyageur isn't bad. Weather is mild enough and clothing is abundant enough that I don't run into issues with the weather. (Though i'm sure that's going to change when I get into more difficult modes). Best way I can describe CH is action packed. Wolves, bears and moose over by the Quonset hut, wolves on the ice, wolves on the highway, bears by the islands. Honestly a great map. ML has got it all. Wolves, fishing, snaring, hunting, exploring through big ruins (the dam) and plenty of transitions to other regions in case you get bored. MT is where things kind of fall apart for me. Lots of decent loot, sure, but a lot of wolves in a small place. Not to mention the Workbench is right next to a wolf spawn (and outside) IMHO it's a place to loot when you are just wanting to grab supplies. Not to live. My next maps are probably going to be HRV and FM, since everyone seems to have a good opinion on those. Definitely going to finish with a summit of TWM though.

6 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

Okay... so I haven't actually played all the maps.

Lemme explain

I feel the need to 'savor' every map to try and get a feel for it and what it is. What I mean by that is I like to start a new character on every map. So far I've worked through Mystery Lake, Mountain Town, and am working on CH and PV. And I have to say, PV in Voyageur isn't bad. Weather is mild enough and clothing is abundant enough that I don't run into issues with the weather. (Though i'm sure that's going to change when I get into more difficult modes). Best way I can describe CH is action packed. Wolves, bears and moose over by the Quonset hut, wolves on the ice, wolves on the highway, bears by the islands. Honestly a great map. ML has got it all. Wolves, fishing, snaring, hunting, exploring through big ruins (the dam) and plenty of transitions to other regions in case you get bored. MT is where things kind of fall apart for me. Lots of decent loot, sure, but a lot of wolves in a small place. Not to mention the Workbench is right next to a wolf spawn (and outside) IMHO it's a place to loot when you are just wanting to grab supplies. Not to live. My next maps are probably going to be HRV and FM, since everyone seems to have a good opinion on those. Definitely going to finish with a summit of TWM though.

check out the Trailer just off the road outside of Milton, its up by a moose spawn, the bear is up the road with cars nearby to hide in.  the workbench is indoors and there is a firebarrel outside, its also right next to the HRV entrance, so its the best jump off to go there and fall back when you need to craft.  the only downside is storage, but neat little piles on the floor works for me.  i always find myself spending the most time there when in MT

6 hours ago, odium said:

check out the Trailer just off the road outside of Milton, its up by a moose spawn, the bear is up the road with cars nearby to hide in.  the workbench is indoors and there is a firebarrel outside, its also right next to the HRV entrance, so its the best jump off to go there and fall back when you need to craft.  the only downside is storage, but neat little piles on the floor works for me.  i always find myself spending the most time there when in MT

This is my favorite place to base when I'm in MT, for all the reasons you mentioned. You can live there a really long time with the nearby bear and moose, there's a workbench inside, and HRV is close by. Much better than super wolfy Grey Mother's or the always exciting Paradise Farm.

Be careful with the fire barrel though, I'm not sure if the new changes to the wolf AI will make them pause at the fire barrel like they do with the campfires.

9 hours ago, odium said:

I've been up there on my 50+ day (my best at that point) Voyageur character, but not to the workbench. Ended up losing him because I got attacked by said bear as I rounded a corner. He managed to get me and I quit the game. A couple days later when I loaded back in I had forgotten that I didn't patch my blood loss and I died while I was repairing my clothes.

Edited by EjectedCasings

Timberwolf Mountain is my vote.

With some of the best loot available, as well as an interesting map design, it's one of my first stops in any new game. Reaching the summit within the first ten days of a game is a strategy that always rewards with abundant equipment to see you through the future challenges.

Especially with any Interloper difficulty, the guaranteed spawns at this location mean you're always going to want to visit, and the sooner it's done, the better. There's no greater feeling than limping across Crystal Lake overburdened with loot and four sprained limbs from your reckless descent down from the Summit. Hurts so good!

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to say a favorite overall, but my favorite to set up a home base is Mystery Lake. 

Coastal Highway is growing on me as a place to survive for a while. I also enjoy my loot runs to Broken Railroad, although I never stay long. I dread going to Pleasant Valley, seems like it's always a blizzard the whole time. And don't even get me started on Forlorn Muskeg. I never like going to Timberwolf Mountain, but always find myself staying longer than intended because it is rather peaceful at the Mountaineers Hut. 

And I still haven't checked out Hushed River Valley or Bleak Inlet. Gearing up for Bleak in my current stalker run.

Well, according to jeffpeng, I haven't played the game yet, but that's okay.  It's always good to have something to look forward to. 😉 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, jeffpeng said:

HRV simply is the "objectively" best map in the game in terms of innovative level design and overall concept. Every visit to HRV is a challenging adventure, no matter if you are 1 day in or 100 days in, and no matter how often I'm there I still get occasionally lost - which is something I can't say for other maps. It's always a sight to behold, and the loot is actually very good.

Agreed.  However..

Since the introduction of custom settings, I've been doing almost nothing else, trying out different variations with passive wildlife.  That said, Bleak Inlet all the way.  I've always liked the look and feel of the coastal maps, and well, it's the new one.  Fishing, bad weather, foggy vistas, the wreckage of civilization, aurora tool sharpening, more unusable boats taunting you. Call me crazy, but I love that.  Plus, I've got my new pal in the workshop.  I swear there's a tennis ball or something rolling around in there he's always after.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

• 4 weeks later...