As soon as I step on thin ice, my shoes and socks can get 100% wet.

stmSantana

That's pretty nasty. I noticed the second attempt you were on crackling ice even shorter time. Is it located to only one place?

Not sure whether breaking ice has some phases. Last time I fell under ice it was like Nice -> Wet -> Ded. But maybe it is like: Water rises from bottom. After short time it rises above shoe level and then whole shoe is 100% wet. Since you did two tests immediately after themselves, maybe the counter was not zeroed. Something like some people suggest for the sprain calculation. When you stop for a while, the counter is zeroed.

Forlorn Muskeg is, by design, a wetland. I'm not entirely sure how exactly it works, but yes, walking around in the zone does have an impact on how wet your feet get.

Anecdotally, I have only noticed this out on the muskeg proper. Any area that's pretty solidly snow -- such as the areas near the radio towers, for example -- won't have this problem. But anywhere where the ice is thin or blue, walking on or standing on it for prolonged periods of time gradually makes your feet wet. However, I've never run over the muskeg with running shoes.

I am confident that what you're experiencing is by design.

Edited by GothSkunk

thank you everyone.I reported to support.

I will write about my experience in detail.
There are two types of thin ice in only Forlorn Muskeg.
A: When you get on the ice and the warning icon appears, run away immediately and your shoes will not get wet at all.
B: When you get on the ice and the warning icon appears, your shoes will be completely wet, even if you run away immediately.

Which type of ice exists depends on the coordinates of the map.
In some places, two types of ice are next to each other.

Note
"Thick ice" (no warning icon) is safe to walk.
Your shoes won't get wet at all if you walk a long distance.
Clothing gets wet only when snow is on your body.

• The result depends on the player position.
  • screen_(1225, -132, 917)_784bbd0e-109f-40b5-ba88-307c6be7b722.jpg
  • screen_(1207, -132, 915)_8dfd1409-62ac-4250-967e-da2380ec4465.jpg
Edited by stmSantana

19 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

Forlorn Muskeg is, by design, a wetland. I'm not entirely sure how exactly it works, but yes, walking around in the zone does have an impact on how wet your feet get.

Sure, absolutely... but I've never experienced a situation where just stepping out on the thin ice resulted in our feet being instantly soaked through as demonstrated in @stmSantana's video.

:coffee::fire:
That's why I lean towards the assumption that it's a bug of some kind.

I have had that happen to me a couple times, at least.  Once was quite a while ago, in Forlorn Muskeg, where I discovered my boots and socks were all frozen. Then recently where I found my boots and socks all 100% wet and getting mostly frozen, again in Forlorn Muskeg. 

I had attributed all this to a modified way of dealing with weak ice in conditions where you won't be always be completely immersed (taking a polar bear swim).  I just assumed that there would be a % chance that, while you avoided a partial (I never actually tested this) or complete bath, you ended up like calf-deep in the water.  You think you got away scot free then find your boots and socks are soaked. 

The problem for Hinterland might be that they haven't yet figured out how to change the graphic sequence to make it more obvious that you nearly took a bath so the same sequence applies to both.  It would be nice if Astrid or Will would at least comment something to the effect of, "Whoa! Nearly took a swim there, better be more careful", so as to cue the player that it wasn't just a benign encounter with weak ice that something different did or may have happened.

Guest jeffpeng

I can confirm this is not new. This has been in the game for quite some time. I always reasoned it as "well, sheet was close, ice was cracking, water was breaking through, but you made it out before you fell through completely". Never really thought about it as it made sense to me.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I can confirm this is not new. This has been in the game for quite some time. I always reasoned it as "well, sheet was close, ice was cracking, water was breaking through, but you made it out before you fell through completely". Never really thought about it as it made sense to me.

Same here, I've had numerous instances of wet footwear after sprinting across patches of weak ice.  I can't predict it reliably but I have just gotten into the habit of taking off my footwear if I'm going to cross weak ice, just in case. 

Interesting... I've had instances where falling through the ice on the muskeg didn't completely soak my footwear but only get them somewhat wet... and I've had times where I've sprinted across weak ice and had just my shoes get somewhat wet... but I've never experienced being soaked through to the skin so immediately after stepping onto thin ice and then getting off it right away. 

I'll check it out the next time I'm on the muskeg, but I have a long way to go before I get there.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

I reported this bug a while back, and devs responded, so I think it will be fixed. It's not tested by me if it happens outside FM, but it would be reasonable to assume it happens when you step on weak ice, as demonstrated in the video, in all regions that have weak ice. So check your footsies before sleeping and take off frozen clothing, or you can get double frostbite.