Best clothing?

wizard03

So I got into quite the stalker run recently, got outfitted early in the game with a bear coat, deer skin pants/boots, rabbit mitts, and a bit of this and that, but then I came across some regular clothing, and super rare clothing such as ski boots and gauntlets, and I realized how much better those things was compared to the crafted stuff I made. However I also noticed how overweight I was with the bearskin coat.....

So simply put, what really IS the best clothing in the game???
I guess the better question is, whats good for "loot hunting" where the objective is to stay in the region, but allows you to carry more stuff back to home base.

And the next question is, whats good to keep you nice and toasty when you decide its time to leave the region and establish a new base in a new region {and your not worried about how fast or slow you are going}

While the bear coat was truly splendid at keeping me warm, loosing those mobility points really drained the fun out of trekking around and savaging. Ontop of that, the extra weight it created really put off trying to lug all the stuff I found while out and about back to base. Especially when just the expedition parka would have done the job. Thoughts? Opinions?? 

• Upvote 1

There isn't a best really, and it depends how you play. The bear coat offers some good protection which can be pretty useful if you're fighting wolves, but yes it's quite heavy. If wolves aren't a problem for you I would say stick with the lighter clothing. I would probably try to see what is a bigger threat to you, wolf melee damage or being slow.

Also something to keep in mind, on lower loot settings the expedition parka cannot spawn and you're likely not as well armed, which can make the bear coat more attractive. It may simply be a bad choice if you have the expedition parka with how you play.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

There isn't a best really, and it depends how you play. The bear coat offers some good protection which can be pretty useful if you're fighting wolves, but yes it's quite heavy. If wolves aren't a problem for you I would say stick with the lighter clothing. I would probably try to see what is a bigger threat to you, wolf melee damage or being slow.

Also something to keep in mind, on lower loot settings the expedition parka cannot spawn and you're likely not as well armed, which can make the bear coat more attractive. It may simply be a bad choice if you have the expedition parka with how you play.

I actually did get two expedition parkas on a loper run once. I didn't know any better and was keeping my eye's peeled for better and didn't repair them x.x

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I actually did get two expedition parkas on a loper run once. I didn't know any better and was keeping my eye's peeled for better and didn't repair them x.x

Can't have been Interloper.  The best non-crafted outer layer you can get on an Interloper game is a Mackinaw Jacket.

7 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Can't have been Interloper.  The best non-crafted outer layer you can get on an Interloper game is a Mackinaw Jacket.

I absolutely swear I did, I may just throw a loper run again to see if I can find em again, with my luck it was a 1 in a 1000 x.x

It depends on the difficulty and your goals. On lower difficulty you'll be perfectly fine with man made clothing. It has a far better warmth/weight ratio. Animal clothing has better protection, but that's usually not too important unless you deliberately get into fights. That changes on Interloper where the best clothing items simply don't spawn, so you need to craft from animal hides. It's the only difficulty where the bear coat makes any sense at all.

Also consider how long you will play your current game. Cloth is a limited resources so animal clothing conserves it. However there is still a lot of it. Enough for hundreds of days of repairs.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, just had anouther steam roller run on stalker. That bear coat is just too much, same with wolf coat. Man made clothing is just fine honestly.....kinda thinking of using the best "lightweight" clothing now....thin wool sweaters, toque's, ect. ect…..at least I don't have to wait for the hides to cure.

I'd divide the category into two parts, Stalker and Interloper.

In Stalker, a variety of man-made clothing is ideal, whichever options offers best warmth to weight ratio. However, should you be concerned with wolf encounters, consider sacrificing your outer layer to a high defense item, which will significantly reduce wounds taken in wolf encounters.

Head: rabbitskin hat and wool toque

Hands: rabbitskin mitts

Inner Torso: 2x fisherman's sweaters

Outer Torso: 2x expedition parkas

Inner Legs: 2x wool longjohns

Outer Legs: 2x snow pants

Inner Feet: 2x climbing socks

Outer Feet: insulated boots

Accessory: wool ear wrap

Total: 33°C

In Interloper, high thermal protection is essential. Given the rarity of high end items, you will need to craft your own equipment anyway, and by day 50 you'll be suffering health loss very quickly outdoors without the best equipment possible.

Head: rabbitskin hat and wool toque

Hands: rabbitskin mitts

Inner Torso: 2x thin wool sweaters

Outer Torso: 2x bearskin coats

Inner Legs: 2x thermal underwear

Outer Legs: deer hide pants and combat pants

Inner Feet: 2x wool socks

Outer Feet: deerskin boots

Accessory: wool ear wrap

Total: 30.5°C

However, you can also vary your clothing from day to day. Only going out for a quick stick run or to check traps? Spending the whole day indoors crafting or next to a fire fishing? You can remove and store your heaviest items to avoid increased calorie consumption and fatigue. But this is a high level play tactic that isn't too essential unless playing at very difficult levels, such as custom mode.

Really, it's a better option to simply manage your inventory more efficiently. Do you really need ten packs of matches? That's an extra 1kg of weight right there. Twenty tinder or cattail heads? That's another 1kg you don't need. If you've recently looted some spare clothing, it's insanely easy to have gathered over 5kg of junk in your inventory. Gather your loot at the closest landmark and dump it. Floor storage is best for anything with decay, since it disappears if it reaches 0% in a container.

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Really, it's a better option to simply manage your inventory more efficiently. Do you really need ten packs of matches? That's an extra 1kg of weight right there. Twenty tinder or cattail heads? That's another 1kg you don't need. If you've recently looted some spare clothing, it's insanely easy to have gathered over 5kg of junk in your inventory. Gather your loot at the closest landmark and dump it. Floor storage is best for anything with decay, since it disappears if it reaches 0% in a container.

Yeah, Im a bit of a loot ho. :P But even I have noticed how quickly you can aquire some serious junk in a short amount of time. Because of this, I typically create junk drops near base.....its not in a storage unit, but close enough nearby that if I just so happen to need it, I can just go grab it.

Silly question, but Im noticeing certain things tend to wear out or loose condition faster than other stuff. Does each item last differently than the rest? Or does going into containers for something effect the rate of degradation?
If I keep getting into a drawer that has food in it, will it effect how fast or slow the food degrades, even if all I grab is the tool box?

On 1/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, wizard03 said:

I absolutely swear I did, I may just throw a loper run again to see if I can find em again, with my luck it was a 1 in a 1000 x.x

Revolvers aren't supposed to appear in loper either but allegedly do. But I've never seen an expedition parka in loper.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, wizard03 said:

While the bear coat was truly splendid at keeping me warm, loosing those mobility points really drained the fun out of trekking around and savaging. Ontop of that, the extra weight it created really put off trying to lug all the stuff I found while out and about back to base. Especially when just the expedition parka would have done the job. Thoughts? Opinions?? 

I'll agree with most on @Jimmy's list above but eg add a satchel as accessory. As coat I prefer 1 wolf coat and pair it with a Mackinaw jacket, avoid bearskin coat for mobility reasons. But sure, useful when sleeping outside and harvesting big game.

i play voyageur so there is a ton of options but the best setup i like is: rabbit hat, balaclava, moose cloak, exp parka, two cowichans sweater, gauntlets, ear wraps, satchel, deer pants over snow pants, two wool longjohn, two climbing socks, deer boots.  the cloak is kind of annoying cause you have to harvest it and re craft every once and a while to keep it nice, unless you somehow have lots of extra hides.  may switch back to wolf coat for ease of repair.  i know this setup is total overkill but i just cant fathom not wearing the absolute highest numbers

After reading this thread I decided to try changing my clothing strategy.  I replaced my Bearskin Coat with an Expedition Parka and changed my bearskin bedroll for a standard bedroll.  It has been a pleasant change.  Being able to walk quickly makes the game less frustrating.  I hate slowly slogging on into a headwind when I have a load over 40Kg.

I found it easier to keep my total load to below 40Kg, (using a moose backpack), and have been able to travel faster.  I have been careful to avoid travelling in bad weather, this has been made much easier because know the maps and where there are good shelters.  It would be very different for someone who doesn't know the maps and the placement of shelters.  Early in the game, when you might be caught out in a blizzard the extra warmth of bearskin can be very important.

I have also started to reduce the amount of food I carry around. That has also lightened my load and beneficially speeded me up.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Somewhat on the same topic. Does the wolf-skin and/or bear-skin coat deter wolves at all? I feel like I heard that somewhere but never confirmed. 

Yes, but not always. Occasionally, instead of a wolf seeing the player and entering tracking mode, if they're wearing wolf or bear hide outerwear, the wolf will become afraid and flee instead. I've witnessed this behavior many times in regular play.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, wizard03 said:

So I got into quite the stalker run recently, got outfitted early in the game with a bear coat, deer skin pants/boots, rabbit mitts, and a bit of this and that, but then I came across some regular clothing, and super rare clothing such as ski boots and gauntlets, and I realized how much better those things was compared to the crafted stuff I made. However I also noticed how overweight I was with the bearskin coat.....

I guess the better question is, whats good for "loot hunting" where the objective is to stay in the region, but allows you to carry more stuff back to home base.

And the next question is, whats good to keep you nice and toasty when you decide its time to leave the region and establish a new base in a new region {and your not worried about how fast or slow you are going}

Your clothing should depend on what you plan to do. Personally, I like my luggage to remain light so I can move faster without tiring out too quickly. I generally avoid clothing items which reduce my speed. For example, for my 'outer outer' layer of leg clothing, I like to have the combat pants. They provide good warmth and defence, while not slowing me down at all. The 'inner outer' layer can stay empty. For my 'outer outer' layer on the body/chest, I'll take the expedition parka (if available). The warmth/weight ratio is unbeatable in that slot (the Wiki has tables showing you the warmth/weight ratios for all clothes, that's really useful information). However, right below the expedition parka - in the 'inner outer' layer - I will just wear a down vest. Because any windproof or defence bonus does not count in this slot (as long as the 'outer outer' slot is occupied). So here only the overall weight and the warmth/weight ratio count. Therefore, down vest, because it is light. For the hands, the gauntlets do look nice at first glance - but they slow you down (directly, via slower movement) and add a lot of weight really (which slows you down even more). So I only use them if I intend to get into a handfight with wolves (which I rarely do). Otherwise, they stay at home and I wear wool mittens instead. They have the best warmth/weight ratio for the hands, and only weigh 0.1 kg overall. Unbeatable.

When I'm fully equipped, I have a temp bonus from clothing of about 21-23°C. I leave camp with an overall weight (clothes, weapon, tools, all equipment included) of 17-18 kg and move really fast. That would be on Stalker.

Interloper changes the equation a bit, as some clothes are not available, and temperatures become very low. But I still have a tendency to prefer light weight over a maximum warmth bonus. Light weight just has so many advantages. I would rather cover a greater distance and then warm up in a shelter or by a fire than creep over floor overburdened and end my day prematurely.

I took opposite approach. I am walking tank.

Wool togue + rabbitskin hat
Ear wrap + satchel
Bearskin coat + Wolfskin coat
Deer Skin pants + Snow pants
Wool Longjohns 2x
Heavy Insulated shoes or Deerskin boots.
Rabbitskin gloves

The only thing I hate is the Ski boots, so I dont take it. And if there are Mukluks, I take them over insulated shoes.

It is true that running in this gear is not great. But I dont run.

Edited by acada
forgot some clothing slots

Have to admit, it tilts either direction for me. Either I go full blown tank, or just enough to keep frost bite at bay. Admitedly, Iv been leaning harder and harder towards the light weight setup tho.
Current revolation is Canadian tuke, ski mask, ski jackets, thin wool sweaters, wool mitts, ear wrap, satchel, combat and snow pants, the red undies, mountain climbing socks and just plain sneakers.

Seems to be really nice thus far as I can carry quite a bit of stuff so far. Which is good. I plan on trying to drag as much stuff as I can to BI to set up a lill bit of a shop there. Im even going to bring a bearskin bedroll so I can sleep in the cannery.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to go with the following

Torso:

Fishermans sweater, cowichan sweater, marine pea coat (mackinaw is also good), a wolfcoat

Head: Balaclava and rabbit hat

Hands: Ski gloves

Legs: 2 sets of wool thermal underwear, snow pants external with deer hide legs under

Feet: Deer hide boots

Ofcourse, can't forget those lovely ear warmers!

This kind of clothing is warm enough to laugh *most* blizzards off. Very rarely feel threatened by weather in this situation. I got to day 150 on voyager before weather became a bit of an issue ( - 40°c ish ) and i got bored and advanced to stalker. Day 35 now on stalker and aiming for this clothing combo again

The wolfcoat is my favourite. It's warm enough when coupled with a decent few underlayers. Heavy, but not as heavy as the bear coat, offers good protection, easily repaired mid to late game and ofcourse has the chance to repel ambushing wolves.

Personal preference ofcourse. This clothing combo keeps you warm and is not too much of a burden on weight.

People have suggested to wear warm clothing for longer expeditions and lighter layers for regular activities to save weight (fishing, wood collecting etc) but it's not really my style.

I prefer to make the bear skin bedroll with my hide. Yes it's heavy, but for long travels when you struggle for shelter it's a good bedroll in emergencies

On 2/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, wizard03 said:

Seems to be really nice thus far as I can carry quite a bit of stuff so far. Which is good. I plan on trying to drag as much stuff as I can to BI to set up a lill bit of a shop there. Im even going to bring a bearskin bedroll so I can sleep in the cannery.

Oh you are setting a shop in BI. Ill visit when I am near by. You will have only clothing or I can expect a little bit of pastry as well?

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2020 at 2:58 AM, wizard03 said:

I say the best clothing for hunting is moose cloak ballistic best ski boots etc. But for foraging get warm lightweight things like mackinaw  jacket and will shirts and that sort of thing generally speaking I usually have wolf coat if I have time to cure the stuff until I find expidition  parka I don't play interloper though when I've tried my parents tried but failed to help because the would say save your stim  for when you really need it when I'm dying of cold in Hibernia processing cuz with the bed I had not enough good clothes to warm up