Things like fire and branches pop in as I move

Aurimas

Does anyone have this issue? I'll attach some screenshots later, but basically I can't see some things in clear detail from some distance and some things like branches visually pop in as I move. I have my Quality settings on ULTRA

Edited by Aurimas

I think it is common for static objects, which are not part of the map. For example I have pile of meat somewhere. When I am going to the point, I cannot see the pile untill I am cca 50-100m from it. But animals can be seen to ... I dont know ... far far away. Even when they are just some 2x2 pixels dots.

Even on Ultra most things aren't rendered infinitely far away.  Certain landscape elements are, like mountains and such.  Some render farther than others, like the shortwave towers in Forlorn Muskeg, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to see their lights from the other side of the region during an aurora, but most things you have to get within a few hundred meters before they are visible.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:41 AM, Aurimas said:

Does anyone have this issue? I'll attach some screenshots later, but basically I can't see some things in clear detail from some distance and some things like branches visually pop in as I move. I have my Quality settings on ULTRA

I got this same issue, and typically when its right next to me....Im on xbox x. o.o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, pdxaeroman said:

Even on ultra there are still some sliders at the bottom that can be adjusted for pop-in. have you messed with those?

You registered in the forum to reply to this! Welcome to the forum! .. Anyway, those sliders they don't do s*** when it comes to some objects popping in (you must be playing on small monitor?). I sent a support request and apparently Hinterland is aware of this and maybe they will add another slider in the future for this issue:

Thanks for sending us that video. I'm sorry to hear that when items render in at the maximum view distance this takes away from your immersion. Taking a look at your capture though, things look to be operating as expected.

We appreciate you bringing this up and will consider adding an option to scale object render distance in the future

P.S. Hope I'm not in trouble for posting this ..

Edited by Aurimas

I very much doubt you're in trouble for posting this. You're experiencing something that is a limitation of video games in general; however it's more apparent in TLD because you are able to see much much further than you are in most video games (not many video games allow you to look at things that are a kilometre away). This is done for performance reasons; by cutting down on the number of items you see by only rendering items within x distance of you they are cutting down on the geometry that needs to be rendered by the video card resulting in better framerates. Many of the regions in my long run game (coming up on three years in game time) have literally thousands of entities lying around the map; wood, fireplaces, meat, dropped dead flares, and the like. Trying to get the game engine to render every one of those things in the map is going drive your video card into the dirt.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:21 PM, stratvox said:

you are able to see much much further than you are in most video games

Man, like I showed, things appear only when you approach them pretty close .. you can see some rocks and building from pretty far yes, but I would like to see wolves in the same way, also sticks, fires and so on

resulting in better framerates

Thanks for concern, but I have those pretty high and wouldn't mind objects rendered from further bringing them frames down a bit

in my long run game (coming up on three years in game time) have literally thousands of entities lying around the map; wood, fireplaces, meat, dropped dead flares, and the like. Trying to get the game engine to render every one of those things in the map is going drive your video card into the dirt.

I guess if you have low frames in particular file - you could use the hypothetical slider to lower the render distance, or it could be automatically done for you, and it could be done on the fly too (counting the objects that need rendering, though only the devs know if this would be easy to implement).

I very much doubt you're in trouble for posting this

I guess now I am.. seriously man, you're missing the point

I'm dragging by at 25 fps, but I still think it would be nice to be able to see things like campfires from further away. maybe implement a system that detects if the entity is visible to the player, and if it is larger than a pixel at the distance it is away. if both of those return true, it could render in that entity. This means it could also not render entities that are out of the player's vision or hidden by an obstacle, which would balance the framerate but make it look nicer.

• Upvote 1