Poison meat drops

BrackzillaR

So, then, if you harvest the wolf after it dies, you are handling guts and hides tainted with a poisonous substance, and the meat would be poison to you too. So, poisoned wolves = character gets poisoned too if they touch it, or harvest it (poisoned blood all over your clothes, face, hands...), or eat it. Cooking does not always nullify the effects of poison. All depends on the type of poison. And the character should have a high chance of poisoning themselves while preparing the poisoned bait, or the poison itself. I would also expect dead crows, and dead bears. You food supply just got cut down and made inedible, because -poisoned bait.

And no, I don;t support this either. Why bother getting weapons, or hunting with them, if you can just drop poisoned fish or rabbit or venison all over the place, as decoys? Instead of using the decoy to distract the wolf and give you a chance to get away? Would make the game far too simple and "safe". Kill wolves the old-fashioned way. With a gun or a bow and arrows, or in a fair fight... in a struggle with the correct weapon. Having poison for wolves would make Stalker insanely easy, Loper too. And would be pointless in Pilgrim, altogether. Barely worth it in Voyageur, IMHO.

We are not supposed to feel 100% safe, and we aren't supposed to be the Apex Predator anymore. It's a new world... and we aren't in charge anymore.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I might have misspoke by putting poison as the main idea of this post, by poison I meant some kind of tranquilizer or an actual poison. Primarily a poison made from like a home cleaner, or some type of medication. Also I agree with Pancake, that the player could not eat the wolf although if you play on anything Stalker and above you probably aren't eating wolves very much to begin with as they can give you intestinal parasites. If I'm going to throw away a source of food (Rabbit) I want it to have as much value to me as it would if it were food. I'm trading a piece of my food for a dead wolf that I probably wouldn't eat in the first place. This saves a rifle round for a deer or other animal that I can actually eat.

I disagree that it would make the game much easier as poisons don't have to be extremely common and the devs have done a good job of keeping everything in balance. I've survived for 70 days on Stalker, and I now modify Stalker because I feel as though the wolf spawns are frustrating to deal with when you only have 4 bullets in a rifle, and no revolver spawns. 

Just use toothpaste with xylitol in it(or gum or whatever). That will kill wolves no problem but be harmless to people. I could kill a few dozen wolves IRL with the toothpaste I have right here in my house.

As to whether this should be in the game.....eh. I'd say maybe if it's really rare to find Green Beaver Natural Toothpaste, but then it would end up being largely pointless. I think it's really hard to balance something like this.

Edited by odizzido

On 1/26/2020 at 8:07 PM, ManicManiac said:

I wouldn't be in favor of this, mainly because wolves are already reasonably simple to mitigate (provided we pay attention to our surroundings as we travel).  I think making wolves any easier to deal with would be a mistake.

:coffee::fire:

This.

Also I generally don't feel good about poisoning animals at all, be it insects, mice or wolves, it is a pitiful way to perish from poison, and needlessly painful. Shooting an animal is hard enough, I would not want to even have the possibility to poison animals in the game, even if I never used it. Plus it would force Hinterland to add even more disclaimers, like saying "we do not actually encourage the poisoning of animals in real life", and that alone could spark discussions nobody has any desire for.

I am totally against poisoned meat being introduced.

A tranquilizer dart gun and darts we might find, on the other hand, would be a nice alternative (in custom mode) to replace the rifle and pistol and make no kill (pacifist) runs possible.  Darts should be as common as rifle rounds and be able to render a bear unconscious with a single shot.  This would enable the player to exit the area unscathed.  Ideally, if such a setting is chosen by the player, cattails and other medicinal plants should respawn.  To make the run sustainable, new darts should be craftable at the mill in Bleak Inlet.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, acada said:

Just wonder. Is the chocolate toxic for wolfs same as for dogs?

Yes as far as I know. However chocolate is not as bad for dogs as people say(it's still not good), and it's actually toxic(though not as) to humans as well. It's just we usually don't eat so much of it that it happens to us. For anyone interested:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/chocolate

I have checked the poisoning symptoms for dogs. If it is simillar for wolfs, it is no value for the game. Initially I thought such wolf would be sleepy and easy to hunt. But it would be restless and touchy. So I think hunting such wolf could be more dangerous.

Although it could end like

Diarhea.jpg.f731359235a613f7746aa4d9ef5a57a5.jpg

I know somebody in the forum has better image with the stains :D .