Scariest moment ever in Pleasant Valley

ChillPlayer

Allright this was... intense to say the least. I was streaming my hunt for the fourth bear in PV, with the help of tracelye's hand drawn map I had an idea where to look for it. I've spend two days ingame searching for a sign of a bear, nada. A wolf attacked me once, that's all that happend. I harvested it and continued the search. Suddenly there's a Hunters Blind I never saw before, so I figured I must be on the right track. Down a slope further away from everything I suddenly see far away a bear - and then fog kicks in.

Already having an uneasy feeling I decided to find my way back to the blind. I've laid down my bedroll and slept for an hour in hope the fog would turn to clear weather. But no, it was still foggy. And something new - food steps outside, but not the fast running ones from rabbits or wolves. Slept for another hour and when I woke I found myself in the mids of a blizzard. Foodsteps were still audible outside, meanwhile there were already 10 people watching my stream. I peaked around the corner and there it was, a bear. I quickly went back inside and slept hour by hour in hope the blizzard would die off, which of course it didn't.

I tried to make a fire on the steps when suddenly the bear rushed from the side towards the entrance, I just could barely step back. But it was somewhat stuck so I took my gun and shot it, it troded away and after another hour of sleep I could see it's carcass a few meters away from me. But the sound of footsteps was still there. I peaked again around the corner and woooot? a second bear. Mind you I already killed three bears before I went up there, so there are at least 5 bears in the map. I needed food so I ate one piece of wolf meat raw. Blizzard was still going on, bear was still outside and now I also got food poisoning. By now there were 15 people in the channel, my condition dropped to about 40%.

I had to do something, it was already 10pm and I had to get down to the road, blizzard and bear or not. So I took all my courage and ran for my life when the wind turned to my backside. Luckily the bear got either stuck or just didn't feel to it but it wasn't a problem to get away from it. I ran like hell until I found the frozen part of the river. Condition was down to 15%, I was freezing to death but I thought I can find the Farmstead. Aaaah there's the bridge, I went on it and it said "Contemplation Bridge" and not "Heartbreak", as I've expected. 10%, I ran in one direction no hut, I ran in the other no hut, 5%... on the side of the road - blizzard was still going - I made a fire and it held. My condition dropped to 2%.... and stabilized. I foraged some more wood, still 2%. So I lay down for another hour, 2% (mind you, food poisoning requires 10h sleep), another, 2% and then suddenly the sound becomes clearer, 3%, 5%, 6%. And now finally the blizzard has blown off.

I checked my surroundings and saw that I was only 100m or so away from the next hut. I decided to take the long road towards Farm Stead when suddenly another blizzard hits. I began freezing within seconds again, searched for a hut, found one without bed. Left it, went in the other and went so sleep again at 2%, it takes quite a while to get from freezing to not freezing now. Slept for an hour, 3%, 5%, 48%... And that's when I finally realized, that I am going to survive this freaking blizzard hell of a night.

Thank you hinterland, thank you so much for making a game where such intense moments are possible. That's exactly the reason why I love this game so much, you find yourself in a situation bare any hope, somehow magically you pull through, only to find yourself in an even worse situatione but you pull through again, and survive. No one of my viewers including me thought I would even escape from Hunters Blind in one piece, let alone survive a blizzard on the side of a road lol. This was a very awesome moment in my gaming history that I won't forget quickly :shock: :D

Now that's a hell of a story. Those are definitely the best moments in the game, those "Shit shit shit shit shit" moments as you're moving, trying to stay smart until your health starts to drop too low, and you start getting stupid, just trying to find any way to survive, the desperation sprinting blindly in a white out only to stumble upon a cave/building/hut whatever. Then it feels like the biggest weight drops off of you as your breath out that sigh of relief and know your 60+ game or whatever isn't over. Yet. :D

Yes these are definitely the best moments in the game, especially if you survive it just barely. I didn't recover many times from 2% condition lol.

Denyo you missed all the action by about 20 minutes, the bear(s) were indeed in the area I was searching, just way behind the hills. But there's still one bear alive and a carcass to harvest, so tune in this evening, 8pm MET ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Allright this was... intense to say the least. I was streaming my hunt for the fourth bear in PV, with the help of tracelye's hand drawn map I had an idea where to look for it. I've spend two days ingame searching for a sign of a bear, nada. A wolf attacked me once, that's all that happend. I harvested it and continued the search. Suddenly there's a Hunters Blind I never saw before, so I figured I must be on the right track. Down a slope further away from everything I suddenly see far away a bear - and then fog kicks in.

Already having an uneasy feeling I decided to find my way back to the blind. I've laid down my bedroll and slept for an hour in hope the fog would turn to clear weather. But no, it was still foggy. And something new - food steps outside, but not the fast running ones from rabbits or wolves. Slept for another hour and when I woke I found myself in the mids of a blizzard. Foodsteps were still audible outside, meanwhile there were already 10 people watching my stream. I peaked around the corner and there it was, a bear. I quickly went back inside and slept hour by hour in hope the blizzard would die off, which of course it didn't.

I tried to make a fire on the steps when suddenly the bear rushed from the side towards the entrance, I just could barely step back. But it was somewhat stuck so I took my gun and shot it, it troded away and after another hour of sleep I could see it's carcass a few meters away from me. But the sound of footsteps was still there. I peaked again around the corner and woooot? a second bear. Mind you I already killed three bears before I went up there, so there are at least 5 bears in the map. I needed food so I ate one piece of wolf meat raw. Blizzard was still going on, bear was still outside and now I also got food poisoning. By now there were 15 people in the channel, my condition dropped to about 40%.

I had to do something, it was already 10pm and I had to get down to the road, blizzard and bear or not. So I took all my courage and ran for my life when the wind turned to my backside. Luckily the bear got either stuck or just didn't feel to it but it wasn't a problem to get away from it. I ran like hell until I found the frozen part of the river. Condition was down to 15%, I was freezing to death but I thought I can find the Farmstead. Aaaah there's the bridge, I went on it and it said "Contemplation Bridge" and not "Heartbreak", as I've expected. 10%, I ran in one direction no hut, I ran in the other no hut, 5%... on the side of the road - blizzard was still going - I made a fire and it held. My condition dropped to 2%.... and stabilized. I foraged some more wood, still 2%. So I lay down for another hour, 2% (mind you, food poisoning requires 10h sleep), another, 2% and then suddenly the sound becomes clearer, 3%, 5%, 6%. And now finally the blizzard has blown off.

I checked my surroundings and saw that I was only 100m or so away from the next hut. I decided to take the long road towards Farm Stead when suddenly another blizzard hits. I began freezing within seconds again, searched for a hut, found one without bed. Left it, went in the other and went so sleep again at 2%, it takes quite a while to get from freezing to not freezing now. Slept for an hour, 3%, 5%, 48%... And that's when I finally realized, that I am going to survive this freaking blizzard hell of a night.

Thank you hinterland, thank you so much for making a game where such intense moments are possible. That's exactly the reason why I love this game so much, you find yourself in a situation bare any hope, somehow magically you pull through, only to find yourself in an even worse situatione but you pull through again, and survive. No one of my viewers including me thought I would even escape from Hunters Blind in one piece, let alone survive a blizzard on the side of a road lol. This was a very awesome moment in my gaming history that I won't forget quickly :shock: :D

We bitched a lot about food posioning and made the case as to it dropping you all the way to zero was BS. So it was fixed food poisoning, drops you to something like 15% now, Anway feedback for you back in 1.82 corrected the mechanic so you could have an excellent adventure. - You're welcome :)

P.S. Good move Hinterland!

Archived