v1.72 Achievement Run

Hotzn

OK, why do I look at my skills? Because there is that achievement which I am still missing, the one which requires me to raise all my skills to level 5 in a single game. With my current playstyle, the skills seem to rise somewhat evenly, so I won't really have to change anything. The only skill which concerns me is the bottom one - gunsmithing. I presume the experience I collected there is from reading one of the books, and there might be more gunsmithing books waiting for me on other maps. But at some point I will probably have to venture to BI and use the special workbench/machinery there. Which means facing at least one timberwolf pack. Well, whatever, that pack will - if I survive/defeat them - provide me with another achievement (the 'Defeat a Timberwolf Pack' one). The big question is: What to go for first? Gunsmithing & timberwolves? Or 500 days survival and mapping? Hmmm... considering that I have never been to HRV either and there is also some interesting exploring to do on other maps, I have a tendency to go mapping & accumulating survival time first. And of course there is the next achievement in line: Deep Forest (keep a campfire burning for 3 days). So, Hotzn, the plan:

Mop up DP by doing the following: Explore the cave at the broken bridge as well as the rest of the map, and map it. Punish the bear for its insolence and make a rug out of it to place in front of a chimney later. Then travel back to Crumbling Highway (hrgn? was that the name?) and make the next plan...

On 2/16/2020 at 8:45 AM, Hotzn said:

So in which situations do you really need quartering?

I use it a lot in late cold weather when you're not too far from a warm place: you get the pelt and guts for "free" and spend much less fuel and time (for surprise blizzards)

On 2/22/2020 at 2:55 AM, Drifter Man said:

But I'm mainly concerned about getting stuck in a time-accelerated activity for more than a hour without the option to check what's going on around me.

I cancel while quartering , it keeps memory of how much you've done already (intended feature? no idea). I usually quarter and carcass in... four quarters of time.

• Upvote 1

You don't smell while quartering. Also, when you exit from quartering you don't stink either, because none of the items are on you. When you harvest that's not the case; if you start a full harvest and cancel part way through, you'll have the meat on you and have smell bars. While you can't get attacked while time accelerated, I would expect that the accumulating pile of meat in your backpack can bring the pain; when you exit time acceleration anybody within smell range will immediately start looking for you; when you finish quartering they won't because everything's on the ground. This means that if a wolf is just outside seeing range but inside smell range that you've got very limited time to make tracks; this is simply not an issue when quartering because at no point during the process do you have smellies on you.

Meat bags definitely smell less, but they are generally quite heavy (usually close to ten kilos), so carrying them sucks because 50% of the weight of the meat bag is valueless. I have chosen to carry meat bags when crossing PV's open fields because wolves, but also chosen to harvest on site and carry the meat because I know I have a route I can use that will let me avoid wolves and bears. It's really situation dependent.

I don't quarter deer, generally, though I could see a scenario where I might choose to do so, esp. at lower skill levels. This is a straight up time issue.

I generally quarter, then grab the hide and guts and hightail to somewhere I can drop them to start curing. After that I'll return to the meat bags and start harvesting them in situ. When I finish one I drop the meat and start the next (keeping any eye on FL and my temp meter, of course, and casting an eye around to see if any wolves are nearby). I try to harvest all of them because meat bags decay really fast, then I'll start ferrying the meat back to wherever it is I'm living at that moment, keeping the load down enough to be able to sprint if necessary. Of course, if I get into hypo risk, that means it's time to pick up some meat and get back to my base so I can warm up.

• Upvote 1