Anybody else know you could do this with the flashlight?

Snogan

Just noticed this a few days ago while playing during an Aurora with a flashlight equipped, I dropped the flashlight as I was going to put it away for the morning because I hate carrying unnecessary weight but I accidently left it on while I dropped it. Turns out it stays lit even in placement mode unlike the lantern which only emits light once placed in a valid location. Here's some footage of me messing around with it. Turns out the placement "range" is practically as far as you can see with your cursor. You can see it emits light as far away as fishing huts (obviously you can't place it there but holding it in placement mode still emits light). Anyways. Just wondering if any of you ever noticed this was possible. Thanks

https://youtu.be/QkZDamEyv1A

(Edit): Sorry I'm not sure how to have the video embedded in my post

Edited by Snogan
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

If I could do that, this would be a game changer for me.

I dont think so. Auroras are not so frequent. I think sunny day is more frequent. So magnifying lens is better option. Of course you cannot use it indoor.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, wizard03 said:

Never had much use for the flashlight....only on dureing an aroura, doesn't "scare away" the wolves effectively, constant weight...Meh

Ya what's up with that? I could've sworn when the aurora and flashlight was first introduced the high beam on it consistently scared wolves away, now it only seems to keep them at bay and as soon as you're not pointing it at them or turn it off high beam they charge. 

1 hour ago, Snogan said:

Ya what's up with that? I could've sworn when the aurora and flashlight was first introduced the high beam on it consistently scared wolves away, now it only seems to keep them at bay and as soon as you're not pointing it at them or turn it off high beam they charge. 

Ever since the Bleak Inlet and ammo crafting became a thing I quit trying to scare wolves off and instead just shoot 'em in the face.  I'm going to have to test this now...

On 1/26/2020 at 5:57 AM, acada said:

I dont think so. Auroras are not so frequent. I think sunny day is more frequent. So magnifying lens is better option. Of course you cannot use it indoor.

Agreed, but to think that you can have a fire starter in sunlight AND daylight that doesn't deplete out like the match's and Firestarter's…..It would make it very usefull, even in its limitations. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, Snogan said:

Just noticed this a few days ago while playing during an Aurora with a flashlight equipped, I dropped the flashlight as I was going to put it away for the morning because I hate carrying unnecessary weight but I accidently left it on while I dropped it. Turns out it stays lit even in placement mode unlike the lantern which only emits light once placed in a valid location. Here's some footage of me messing around with it. Turns out the placement "range" is practically as far as you can see with your cursor. You can see it emits light as far away as fishing huts (obviously you can't place it there but holding it in placement mode still emits light). Anyways. Just wondering if any of you ever noticed this was possible. Thanks

https://youtu.be/QkZDamEyv1A

(Edit): Sorry I'm not sure how to have the video embedded in my post

Interesting, didn't know that. +1

Not sure whether there's a practical use for that.