Any tips for killing wolves?

TLD

I usually get wolves by:

1) Baiting a rabbit or deer into them and shooting them as they feast on the carcass.

2) Shooting a wolf that's eating

3) Getting lucky and getting a solid hit on them with a revolver as they charge (DO NOT rely on this as a method, last resort only. Avoiding confrontations is key) I will usually find their corpse a day or so later while i'm exploring. Look for ravens circling over near where you shot it.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, TLD said:

Anyone have any tips on how to kill wolves. Hard to practice in interloper and it is hard to aim using PS4. Any help would be appreciated. 

The dirty answer to this is spend 4000 hours in pubg first. XD Sadly due to that experience time, I find all the wild life in the long dark to be easy enough. At least if they would increase the deadzone and turn off aim accel. >.>

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:56 AM, TLD said:

Anyone have any tips on how to kill wolves. Hard to practice in interloper and it is hard to aim using PS4. Any help would be appreciated. 

Try practicing in Voyager, wolves are easier. What specifically are you having trouble with? There's a lot of variables involved in killing wolves post Errant Pilgrim, and the technique varies greatly depending on which weapon you are using.

Of course, bait no longer works like it did in the past. Are you having trouble with the bow? With fire hunting? If you're asking for advice with the rifle, my advice would be to just shoot them. :fire::wolf:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Perren said:

If you have clothes with enough protection, medical supplies and a sharp knife you could go hand-to-hand with the wolves. 

That's insane on Loper, and will likely get you killed. I'd rather get mauled by a bear. 🐻😄

Of course, the optimal approach would be to find somewhere they can't reach you and/or shoot them before they are in detection range. That's where the rifle comes in handy. Hell, if you have a rifle you can just shoot them whenever you want.. at range, on the charge, fleeing, etc. The technique changes a bit when you are playing Loper, as you are limited to the bow.

If they detect you in Loper, you are going to want to immediately make a fire. Choose somewhere open and flat so there's no pathing issues if you can, but that will depend on the wind and weather. The wolf will approach, hold your ground. Make sure your fire is directly between you and the wolf. He will charge and then stop short of the fire for a short time. This is your window to shoot. As soon as you aim, the wolf will flee so make sure you get a shot off quickly! If you don't get a shot off or you miss, the wolf will flee and run around for a bit, giving you time to pick up your missed arrows and reset the battle for the next round. Wash, rinse, repeat until all wolves are dead. This method is very effective if used correctly.

Anyway, I play Loper/DMC so that's my advice for killing them with the bow. Once you get to L5 Archery, you can just sneak right up on those jerks and pop them, but until then you will need fire for the assist. Good luck and keep warm! :fire:🏹:wolf:

Edited by jhickie
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok

It was easier to kill wolves back in the day when you could bait them, now not so much unless you can get a nice headshot in.

If you have no fire or it's too windy, get the bark, then 'hook' them by aiming+releasing, then aim and hold until they straighten out the last meters toward you, shoot. You might still get the struggle but they will die quickly if you have a struggle weapon. If you lead them to a fire, if the fire is behind a snow drift or behind a rock in a cave, they might not see the fire until they go for you. Flat, open ground is best for wolf hunting.

If they go after you from stink, not from seeing you and barking, do not lead them back to base, but drop the stink/crouch because they may ignore the fire.

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, jhickie said:

Make sure your fire is directly between you and the wolf.

The fire doesn't have to be between you and the wolf, but it gives you the biggest buffer.  I've stood off to the side of a fire, same effect.  The wolf will stop within a certain radius of the fire, regardless of where you're standing.

On 3/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, MrWolf said:

The fire doesn't have to be between you and the wolf, but it gives you the biggest buffer.  I've stood off to the side of a fire, same effect.  The wolf will stop within a certain radius of the fire, regardless of where you're standing.

Feel free to test that out at your own discretion, people. Multiple wolves can make things interesting at a fire. It's happened before in my experience, but YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

@TLD I play Loper and, for the longest time, I always said avoid wolves, because they're near always avoidable. But the AI has changed.

Yesterday a wolf wouldn't leave me alone, wouldn't be paid off with meat. I thought I lost it in some steep ground and trees. Then it was on me. At the end of the struggle my earwrap was ruined.

Earwrap Ruined. The wolves are now for killing. I've never been one for killing them so it's new to me. The first two I took on ended in struggles. The next four all died without laying a tooth on me. Here's what I've learned.

The arrow shot scares them, so long as it lands near them. So. With your bow, line the wolf up somewhere it won't dodge into cover. Aim. The wolf will zigzag. Follow it and shoot either when you have a shot or just before its on you. Aim for the chest. So far this has scared it off, killed it or, worst case, sent it running with an arrow in it.

My earwrap will be avenged.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stone said:

Yesterday a wolf wouldn't leave me alone, wouldn't be paid off with meat.

You have to be a good distance away from the meat--nearly to the point that the 3D model isn't rendered--before a wolf will be distracted by it.  Even then, it will grab the meat and run off, instead of standing there and eating it like the old days.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, TLD said:

The most efficient way of killing wolves is to push a deer in to them and this also makes them stand still while they eat. If you want to be truly efficient with your arrows skip wolves all to gather and only hunt beers. As for forced fights aim just below the shoulder, track them for a few seconds and wait till there about to jump on you to release. If there are two if you sprint amount between shots you can get them both, just don't over turn or your dead. If there are more then two find a tree or something to climb of and massacre them from safety. If they catch you out on ice first of what are you doing letting them do that? Then sprint back, turn around and kill one as they stop just before charging, repeat. Also I play on an Xbox most of the time an I hardly ever miss with any of the weapons so, it can't be that much harder on Playstation. You can also try adjusting sensitivity and the like. 

Edited by RegentRelic

@jhickie and @kristaok, so now wolves are harder to kill!?  I play Stalker with a bow and killing wolves is challenging enough as it is (on Vigilant Flame).  I do use a decoy and stand back far enough so that they will go for the bait (too close, and they will ignore it and attack).  I've found that actual skill (from shooting at them many, many times) has helped.  I try to hit them in the center of their face.  Usually, if I do, they'll drop.  If not, they'll run off and bleed out and I have to spend time finding them to get my arrow back.

Do either of you know the logic for making it harder?  Also, is it that decoys don't work any more or has the sent from it been increased, or what?