Hylander's Map

Hylander

Good work,your map is really useful to check whether you missed some places.

Could you please add bear locations as well? I found a bear near Lonely Cabins (about 1400/2150) and another one at about 2400/2650 (near the cave north-east of rural crossroads). Not sure about the location of the third bear I encountered, I'll check that.

EDIT: Third one is roaming around somewhere at 1450/500. Fourth bear at 2700/900 near Cascading Falls (there's also a cave).

I'm aware that bears patrol quite large areas so their coordinates will never be 100% accurate, but at least they give you an idee where to start searching. :)

Thanks for the great map, great help, i want to add a few more cave if you confirm it is real, this address is not exractly because i look on your map to say it:

200 2600 Near misty Picnic area

500 200 Go to three strike farmstead then go ahead

2700 700 To the right of Cascading Fall

I can't find a second cave. I found Hilltop Cave which is very close to Hunter's Blind, but I don't see another cave near there. The closest other cave I've seen there is at (2018, 819).

If you think there is another cave there, can you post coordinates so I can check it out?

I cannot find Forrest Cave,and I play now Pilgrim mode,so I can get use to new enviroment,Hylander. :( I was running arround on right side of path between Picnic Spot and Pensive Pond.Coords does not help anymore,as they disabled debug setting.:-/

Also,it would be good if you can add that path,covered with snow,which is going near Picnic spot.I have realy hard times to find some places in PL.Maybe that"s coz it is first time,I"m in PV map.It is darn huge and I keep loosing coordination there.:-/ I realy hate this map. :evil:

Hylander: What program do you use to create the map?

And have you thought about adding elevation info or at leas the cliffs?

I'm using Inkscape for the map. I've thought about adding elevations, but its a very difficult thing to get right. Someone on the steam forums was talking about writing a Python script that looked at captured video with the debug hud on, and doing OCR to extract the height information everywhere the player goes. I think that's a brilliant idea, but hard to do now with the debug hud gone.

I cannot find Forrest Cave,and I play now Pilgrim mode,so I can get use to new enviroment,Hylander. :( I was running arround on right side of path between Picnic Spot and Pensive Pond.Coords does not help anymore,as they disabled debug setting.:-/

Also,it would be good if you can add that path,covered with snow,which is going near Picnic spot.I have realy hard times to find some places in PL.Maybe that"s coz it is first time,I"m in PV map.It is darn huge and I keep loosing coordination there.:-/ I realy hate this map. :evil:

I take all my words back. :lol: :lol: I just needed to calm down and start logical thinking and observing.:-) Without to look on map I could find all caves,which are on my path. :) And I discovered already half of Pleasant Valley map.And,what are tips,with whom I discovered caves? ;)

First of all,I am using Pilgrim mode now,just to get familiar with enviroment and landscape in PV.I knew,where could be some caves,approximate.I went first uphill from Rural Crossroads.Then I first listened to crows and looked for them,so I head to that direction.Next thing was,that near caves there was a bear sometimes.So,I ran towards bear and he fleed from me into certain direction.When he stopped,I approach to him from aside and he fleed again to same direction,as when i chased him from front.So,I just followed that direction,on which bear fleed,and voila! :) Every time,when I chased bear on this way,he always lead me to the cave.

And then I also noticed pattern about landscape,where caves are nearby.Whenever there was a plane within hills,just like snowboard trail or bob track,it always lead to the cave.

So,with those tips it can be found caves.From start I thought I will always lost and will never find any cave,but after I realised those tips,I have no hard time to find them,altough map looks huuuuuge. :D

I encourage everyone to try use Pilgrim mode first to get yourself known with map.It will be much easyer then to play harder modes.Just like I am doing.All you need to do is just search for "U" or "V" shaped terrains in your path,and they will lead you to caves.

So on what appears to be your latest map, you have two caves with coords 1432, 209. One is labelled Burned Ridge Caves near Bunker A and the other is down by Bunker D. The first one appears to have the wrong coords.

I do find a cave near 255, 1558 but for me its at about 230, 1559 so I'm not sure if I've found the right one. This area seems (for me) to be very high probability of ankle twisting so each search nearly ends in disaster as it appears that I twist ankle, then get a snowstorm. Managed now three times to eventually find my way out :-)

I've found, I believe 12/13 caves so far, all pretty much where you have them mapped. So its just this Burned Ridge Cave that I can't find (yet).

Archived