How much weight is too much?

desertedone

7 hours ago, desertedone said:

How much carry capacity do you think isn't too much? I'm thinking about 35 kg at best with well fed, about 40 kg for well fed+moose satchel. 

Not sure I understand the question correctly. In any case iirc encumbrance is gradual in this game. So even below the threshold of your 'maximum' carrying weight, weight slows you down and tires you out. Or, in other words: You move faster and tire less quickly with 10 kg of luggage than with, let's say, 20kg. At least I remember it like that.

When setting out on expeditions, I try to take as little with me as possible for that reason. For smaller hunting or exploration trips which are intended to bring me back to base within a day or two, I try to stay below 20 kg, often around 17-18 kg. I move considerably faster than with all the gear, and I have room to bring back loot without becoming over-encumbered (meaning without going above 30 kg).

23 hours ago, desertedone said:

How much carry capacity do you think isn't too much? I'm thinking about 35 kg at best with well fed, about 40 kg for well fed+moose satchel. 

Anything above 35 kg without bonuses is too much to me cause that's when stalking wolves tend to catch up and things go bad.

12 hours ago, wizard03 said:

100 lbs! XD

Actually my limit is right at the ability to run and not run.....If I loose the ability to run, I drop junk.

2 minutes ago, lillitys said:

I'm super bad at leaving things behind, so I'm always walking around with a full bag... I'm consciously trying to learn otherwise, but whenever I leave some item behind, I always seem to regret it later :D

Yep, same problem. I always try to carry everything, sometimes I risk journeys while I can't sprint. Bad habit.

It's completely dependent on how agressive I've got the predators set.  If aggressive, then anything that encumbers me is too much and I'll only carry over that limit if I absolutely must and then I'll only carry it for the shortest possible time.  My caches of most things are small and haphazard and my gameplay is more about covering more ground quickly and being mobile to avoid predators is critical.

If the predators are passive, I'll load myself right up until I can no longer run at all and concern myself with getting the "world" organized a bit and wandering around to get good screenshots.  My survival is seldom in question and getting sprains is seldom more than a slight inconvenience.

Moving base? Load me up, so long as I'm below 30kg I'm not too worried.

If I'm moving, I take the tools I need to establish myself. This will usually be a half dozen arrows, survival bow, hacksaw, quality tools, (improvised) knife, two cooking pots, magnifying lens and firestriker or a pack of matches, prybar, hammer, and bedroll, plus clothes, food and water to make up the weight.

Once I reach my new location, I dump it all and selectively equip what I'll need for that day. Going hunting? Drop everything but warm clothes, bow, arrows and knife. Harvesting wood? Drop everything but my hacksaw.

Removing unnecessary clothing is also a great means of avoiding extra weight and wear on your gear. Two bearskin coats will give you great thermal protection, but you don't really need to wear them if you're spending the day doing a cooking marathon.