Fish Calories

chicks

Hey guyz, I'm wondering why the calories of a fish is reduced upon cooking? IIRC, it's the only product where this happens, correct? Is it intended? Can I eat raw fish without risk of infection/disgusting farts?

Also is it know whether there are plans for long term survival via fishing, via using bones to fish or something?

So if I've read correctly, I don't believe that fish above 70% will make you sick. I know this is true of all normal food and any cooked meat, and since raw fish doesn't display a warning about making you sick without cooking, then I want to assume this is true of raw fish as well. Of course anything below 70% condition (other than dried food/packaged food to my knowledge) can make you sick, cooked or not.

As far as why they lose calories, I'm not sure what that comes from. Maybe it's a reduction in fat or other parts of the fish during cooking? I assume Hinterland has a reason, but I personally am not privy to that knowledge.

I also find fishing to be pretty viable for long term survival (as far as 100-200 days) due to the fact that in my experience, and this my come down to play style / priorities but I find myself with an abundance of scrap metal normally when I start to reach day 50, 60, etc. Since you get two hooks for one chunk of metal you can stack fishing tackles pretty easily.

Sadly I can't figure out much consistency in regards to how often tackles will break or how their condition affects all of that. I do find fishing to be somewhat useful though. I know it's a point of contention, but in my experience I tend to catch more than enough calories worth in fish to justify the time I spend fishing.

Well I'm not sure I understand the logic of it all. Fish and read meat act in the same way : if it's fresh it's safe (tartar and sushis are a good proof of that) but why a fish loose SOOO much calories is kind of a mystery for me. Arguably, I didn't notice if there was a diminishing return from cooking red meat, but IIRC it is not much if there is any, as 1 kg of cooked meat is 800 cals and I don't recal seeing red meats around 1k or more raw, so max they loose 1/5 of their cals. Fish seems to loose almost 1/3 or 1/4 IIRC, which seems like a lot. Having metal being already a limiting factor in fishing, the cals loss from cooking fish seems to kill the purpose of fishing really... I know this is alpha and stuff, but still...

As for tackle breaking and fishing results, I found that my 80% fishing lines broke all the time if I fished for 4 hours. It seems a little bit intense, considering the cost in metal related to it, let alone the pitiful calories gained from fishes.

For food, I never got sick from eating cooked meat, what ever the % (I never eat stuff under 25 as I always eat the oldest stuff first anyway). I got sick the first and only time I ate fresh meat though. So to me cooking your food is a safe way not to get sick. Only fishes makes me doubt the gain from cooking due to calories lost.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I fish I only do it for 1 hour at a time but for 2-3 sessions, and I almost always get a net gain in calories. Sometimes you can catch bigger fish that have in excess of 1500 calories :) I was doing this in the ice-fishing shack pretty much between the coastal townsight and island opposite it with the house on it.

And yeah the other foods lose calories when you cook 'em as well, it's not just fish. I assume it's from all the juices that you lose and the burning up of some of the material.

All meats / fish loose calories when you cook them. Raw venison = 900 calories / kg, cooked venison = 800 calories / kg. Raw rabbit = 500 calories / kg, cooked rabbit = 450 calories / kg. Wolf meat also has this, but I don't know the exact values. This happens in RL too, if you cook something you loose some of the caloric value. Why fish loose so much more calories than meats.

Personally, I don't think fishing is worth it as it takes lots of time and lots of resources. Not only do you need scrap metal for the hooks, you also need to use your knife or hatchet to open the fishing hole and it takes 5% of your hatchet and even 10% of your knife (when fully frozen).

So if I've read correctly, I don't believe that fish above 70% will make you sick.

This might have been the case before V193 update. Started a new run after that update on Mystery Lake and used go fishing with calories near 100-200 for an 1-2h short fishing trips and eat all fish fresh and raw as soon as I got them. That way all fish eaten was always at 95% condition or so. Then I got food poisoning and had to take some antibiotics and sleep 10h etc.

So there might be a small % chance now getting a food poisoning even from top condition fish (condition at 90% - 95%).

-Hyssch-

So if I've read correctly, I don't believe that fish above 70% will make you sick.

This might have been the case before V193 update. Started a new run after that update on Mystery Lake and used go fishing with calories near 100-200 for an 1-2h short fishing trips and eat all fish fresh and raw as soon as I got them. That way all fish eaten was always at 95% condition or so. Then I got food poisoning and had to take some antibiotics and sleep 10h etc.

So there might be a small % chance now getting a food poisoning even from top condition fish (condition at 90% - 95%).

-Hyssch-

Actually I don't think it was true pre v.192 either. But pre v.192 the chance to get food poisoning was very low so you hardly ever god food poisoning. Even when eating raw meat/ fish at 1% condition, I never got food poisoning in over 200 days. With the v.192/ .193 update the chance to get food poisoning has been increased again.

Only cooked food and packaged food will never give you food poisoning when their condition is over 70% (or was it 75%?). All raw foods have a small chance of giving you food poisoning even if their condition is high.

Archived