desertedone

What could be the last stages of Wintermute?

Recommended Posts

Yup, from DP there could be a transition zone or whole region. I have a crazy idea. The bridge is broken. If there are rocks on shore... there could be way by boat. If it would be sailing boat, one should be waiting for good wind. So this could be like "enter the boat and step out on the other shore". Or it could be rowing boat. So you should work your way. If you strand to far from land, there could be warning like "you are not prepared for such long sail".

The rowing boat... Maybe it could be used to make your way along DB, CH and BI. Of course the harsh weather, water moisting your clothes should make the boat trip hard.

But anyway. The end I hope for is Will and Astrid will meet again. They retrieve the mystery briefcase and it will help people. They can die after, but together. And for the anomaly. Magnetic poles changes and after few years there will be spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will's Jackrabbit Transport parka is draped over a rock, and the bear spear leans up against it.  Another bear nearby is telling a story to its cubs.

"In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of a live wire, his soul blistered by the fires of his stove and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Forlorn Muskeg seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the gloves of the Great Rabbit, and those that tasted the bite of his spear named him... the Doom Slayer."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't really sure where "North" is on the World map (some seeming inconsistencies with the Cardinal Directions noted by several players over the years, pointing out sunrise and moonrise inconsistencies on some maps...). And we don't know how accurate Jeri is when he says "North of...". True North? NE? NW? Or some variation thereof? And the new region I am suggesting, connecting TWM and DP would not be Perseverance Mills. @Jimmy puts it closer to where I would imagine it.  The old (original by Hinterland, and changed to the new one we see now.. so the Wind Rose is likely not even close to being accurate...) World Map shows a road going from DP, up past TWM. And the red area on the map is shown as being a possible future area. With many regions now on the World map not shown at all (or possibly shown but not named). The area to the right of TWM, between DP and TWM, with the long road shown... that is where I imagine the new connecting region I am suggesting to be. That road being the one on the other side of the DP Broken Bridge we cannot reach right now. I do imagine the red area on the original map now being Episode 4 or 5, rather than the originally envisioned Episode 3 location, which is now PV (with some changes to the size and shape of the region, perhaps).

229b3311a7cc2241d2fb637e83526bf4.thumb.jpg.70038254b4b5f2dda4c754d6c1cf4942.jpg

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.0c7b63d22eaab9cbcba5bbe3d845f4a2.png

Make sense? The old and new maps are not that much different. The new map seems to be skewed slightly, no Wind Rose, and stretched, to include FM, BR, MT. HRV and BI. But that road from DP up past TWM is what keeps me thinking there is going to be something on the other side of the DP Broken Bridge, as shown in a screenshot from the Fandom Wiki (because searching my now over 6000 screenshot large collection of shots from the game is just a bt too time consuming right now, to find one that shows the location well...).

Broken_Bridge.jpg.f331eede9517ad35cd43bfdf054bd77c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wondered whether we will continue to DP. The outro scene begins here:

outro1.jpg.6f562c41fbd7ecc715b1a8c30afc44dc.jpg

Which prety much is the same we can see in CH near the Log Sort. Just ignore orcas, the ship wreck and missing posts and logs.

CH1.jpg.bddc3a960176fe9431a5566e7d427740.jpg

Then Astrid reviews the whole situation and says she must continue to Perseverance Mills and she goes this way:

outro2.jpg.bc8f1dfc2f7acc81c896b8d288898dc7.jpg

I retraced her steps. Went from the Log Sort to east, which is the way one should follow when wants to go to Desolation point. See:

CH2.jpg.c7d433addce54b5312a0155e8cbf839d.jpg

So I am pretty sure next voyage will be through Desolation Point. Now the question remains whether there will be fork in Mine no 5, some goat way over the Broken bridge. Or there can be some way on the shore. Every can end somehow in TWM or new region.

Edited by acada
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic moved to the WINTERMUTE sub-forum to avoid spoilers for people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still really hope we'll get to explore Blackrock Federal Penitentiary (if not in the story mode, then at least as part of the Survival Sandbox).


:coffee::fire::coffee:
No doubt we'll end up at Perseverance Mills... that's been the location we've been pointed towards since the very beginning.  Though I suppose things could take any number of unexpected turns in the next two episodes. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we go through the Blackrock or highly populated area, I hope there will be no shooty shooty action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, acada said:

If we go through the Blackrock or highly populated area, I hope there will be no shooty shooty action.

I wouldnt mind, but I'd like to see a Parley take place first, allowing us talk our way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 6:59 PM, acada said:

I just wondered whether we will continue to DP. The outro scene begins here:

outro1.jpg.6f562c41fbd7ecc715b1a8c30afc44dc.jpg

Which prety much is the same we can see in CH near the Log Sort. Just ignore orcas, the ship wreck and missing posts and logs.

CH1.jpg.bddc3a960176fe9431a5566e7d427740.jpg

I was thinking, will CH be changed for the next episode (4 or 5?) like PV was changed to episode 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

We aren't really sure where "North" is on the World map (some seeming inconsistencies with the Cardinal Directions noted by several players over the years, pointing out sunrise and moonrise inconsistencies on some maps...). And we don't know how accurate Jeri is when he says "North of...". True North? NE? NW? Or some variation thereof? And the new region I am suggesting, connecting TWM and DP would not be Perseverance Mills. @Jimmy puts it closer to where I would imagine it.  The old (original by Hinterland, and changed to the new one we see now.. so the Wind Rose is likely not even close to being accurate...) World Map shows a road going from DP, up past TWM. And the red area on the map is shown as being a possible future area. With many regions now on the World map not shown at all (or possibly shown but not named). The area to the right of TWM, between DP and TWM, with the long road shown... that is where I imagine the new connecting region I am suggesting to be. That road being the one on the other side of the DP Broken Bridge we cannot reach right now. I do imagine the red area on the original map now being Episode 4 or 5, rather than the originally envisioned Episode 3 location, which is now PV (with some changes to the size and shape of the region, perhaps).

229b3311a7cc2241d2fb637e83526bf4.thumb.jpg.70038254b4b5f2dda4c754d6c1cf4942.jpg

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.0c7b63d22eaab9cbcba5bbe3d845f4a2.png

 

Assumptions:

1) Despite the old map being out of date, I believe we can use it as a reference to imagine what was on the creators' mind when they originally imagined the Great Bear Island and its regions.

2) According to the old map, Milton and PV are directly connected. So I don't think there is anny region between these two areas.

3) I think that going north in the road in Milton leads to Perseverance Mills.

3) The Prision Bus was going south on the Milton-PV road, but according to the old map the road end in the middle of nowhere. So I agree with @ThePancakeLady that there will be probably be a region in that area among CH-DP-PV-TWM.

4) I think that the Prision Bus came from Perseverance Mills and the Blackrock Penitentiary will be in the area among CH-DP-PV-TWM or on the mainland.

 

Questions:

1) Isn't it strange that the game has made us go further south until now, while we should go north?

2) Isn't it strange that the island has a bank branch, a post office, gas stations and even a hydroelectric plant, but it doesn't have any type of government structure? For example: City Hall, Police Station, Fire Station, Hospital, etc.

3) Shouldn't it be possible to communicate with the mainland through radio stations during the Auroras?

4) FM is one of the regions with the lowest human presence, however it has 3 radio towers, while other more populated regions have only 1, such as Milton, or even none, such as CH and DP. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 1:28 PM, TropicalSurvivor said:

Questions:

1) Isn't it strange that the game has made us go further south until now, while we should go north?

2) Isn't it strange that the island has a bank branch, a post office, gas stations and even a hydroelectric plant, but it doesn't have any type of government structure? For example: City Hall, Police Station, Fire Station, Hospital, etc.

3) Shouldn't it be possible to communicate with the mainland through radio stations during the Auroras?

4) FM is one of the regions with the lowest human presence, however it has 3 radio towers, while other more populated regions have only 1, such as Milton, or even none, such as CH and DP. Why?

I don't have a clever answer but they are intriguing questions so I'll give it a go.

2) Sure and you could add more such as a landing field for aircrafts and the monopoly clothing store that provides all the island's inhabitants with certain ski jackets, wool sweaters etc. My guess is our game developers can't take more than a few infrastructure functions into account for the sake of realism only. One could argue that these structures exist but are located in other areas that we don't get to visit. As for hospital I'd say there aren't enough inhabitants from what we've seen so far. A doctor on the countryside might just as well be one guy or gal working from his/her home. City hall would be nice but Great bear could be part of another county, hence why there's no such building, same for police station. The big issue is the fire station, great bear has to have a fire engine in a garage somewhere which a few part-time firemen on the island have access to. 

3) Seems unlikely that electricity that can't keep a lightbulb lit sufficiently would be able to power a radio tower. And spoiler alert.

Apart from that, I agree that blackrock prison should be an exciting addition to the game, especially if it's oldschool with analogue locks. Watch the Walking dead season 3 and be inspired how an abandoned prison could be used!

Edited by manolitode
Spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, manolitode said:

Apart from that, I agree that blackrock prison should be an exciting addition to the game, especially if it's oldschool with analogue locks. Watch the Walking dead season 3 and be inspired how an abandoned prison could be used!

If we get to prison facility, it could have some magnetic locks. You know, operational on Aurora only. Yes it can create some deadly traps like the mine in the CH. But it could be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, acada said:

If we get to prison facility, it could have some magnetic locks. You know, operational on Aurora only. Yes it can create some deadly traps like the mine in the CH. But it could be nice.

Yes, and you could get around the 'death trap' issue with doors that work like the one at the cannery in BI. Once open they stay open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought it might be interesting if the aurora were to work against you, in the context of Blackrock Federal Penitentiary.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:36 AM, ManicManiac said:

Yeah... just imagine if you were looting inside the abandoned Blackrock Penitentiary, and all of a sudden an aurora triggered the lockdown mechanisms  :D 
Tragic way to die...

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now