Valenwe

Coop Mode?

Hello everyone!

I don't know if this subject has been posted lastly, and I am sorry if so...

But is a coop mode possible? I know it would be alot of work, but if this mode is planned for later, this would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Valenwe said:

Hello everyone!

Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

don't know if this subject has been posted lastly,

It comes up once in a while.

I am sorry if so...

Don't be.

But is a coop mode possible?

Without going into the nitty and gritty why not: no it's not.

if this mode is planned for later, this would be awesome.

It isn't. It never was on any roadmap, is outspokenly not in the developer's interest, and it is very unlikely that this is going to change.

One game I personally enjoyed (even if not as much as The Long Dark) that is getting a coop mode Soon™ is Green Hell. It's a survival game with some elements you find in The Long Dark, but overall a very different experience. It's on sale sometimes for under 10 bucks, and if you are into survival games I recommend checking it out for when you need a break from the frozen wastes.

Edited by jeffpeng
  • Like 1

Alright, thanks for this complete answer to my topic :) also thank you for the mention of that game, I will check it out!

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 5:19 AM, Valenwe said:

Hello everyone! I don't know if this subject has been posted lastly, and I am sorry if so...But is a coop mode possible? I know it would be alot of work, but if this mode is planned for later, this would be awesome.

Honestly, it would be a bit of a perk for this game if they offered the ability to allow people to interact with one another. But alas, probably not going to happen as multiplayer games require quite a bit of work to be done to the game itself before you even consider the servers to host the game.

Same wish! Also wishing the wishlist would have all posts regarding the same wish combined and move the wish up the list by count or vote. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 7:22 AM, wizard03 said:

it would be a bit of a perk for this game if they offered the ability to allow people to interact with one another.

I think that would completely undermine the point of the game (the survival sandbox I mean - as that's what most are referring to when they raise this topic).

:coffee::fire:
On another note, coop/multiplayer is usually a no go when there are mechanics in a game that utilize "time compression."

Edited by ManicManiac

I mean, it might work if you do a split-screen co-op on the same monitor or TV screen. Another survival game called “Stranded Deep” did this and I think it would be a pretty cool idea

Honestly I think it could be possible. Im not saying they need to go fallout 76 or anything, just the ability to invite and host other players to your own game at its current time frame.
I mean most of the time there is double the amount of neccisary items and whatnot. The only things that I could see a problem with is when the bear or moose pins someone down. That whole animation sequence would be lost as the second player could just shoot wildly as the first person gets mauled.

Let's examine this idea.

Say you want to harvest a deer hide.

The action to harvest the hide takes 40 minutes of in-game time by hand.

Your friend, also on the same map, is currently being pursued by a wolf.

So you, stuck in the harvest screen, must wait over 3 minutes of real time, watching a status bar slowly fill, while your friend plays dodge-the-wolf.

How about instead, you want to sleep for 12 in-game hours after doing some mountaineering, but your friend is fully rested? Care to watch a black screen for a full hour in real-time?

Want to craft something at a workbench? Better hope your friend isn't planning to go exploring.

Want to go fishing? Let's hope your friend isn't chasing rabbits.

Multiplayer is simply not feasible with the current game design. The core mechanic of time dilation prevents any reasonable attempt at multiple players existing in the one game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The core mechanic of time dilation prevents any reasonable attempt at multiple players existing in the one game.

Pretty much came here to say this.

The time dilatation for crafting and harvesting can be coped with. But I am afraid it would have to be like in favor of uncompressed game time. I mean if somebody decided to craft Deerskin Pants, it would mean 1 hour of real time. So the crafting person would stare 1 hour on the crafting window. Of course nobody craft this in one go. But 1 hour increment is like 5 minutes in front of not moving monitor. Even chopping cedar would be like 2,5 - 3 minutes. Animations could be done on the crafting/harvesting player monitor. Something like the character is looking around.

The real problem is sleeping time. It has to be done each day and it is 8-10 hours of game time which means about 45-55 minutes real time. Plus the fact character wakes up after sleep and if player is not present in front of monitor, character starts to get thirsty.... The only solution which comes to my mind is: When one player is going to sleep, the game saves his status and logs him off from the server. And he will not be able to log in for next 45-60 minutes depends on the sleep time selected.

These are IMHO deal breaker.