The right tool for the job

Unfortunatemutt

I'm sure we have all been face to face with a hungry bear or a moose too close to home. I think I might have the solution to that problem while also balancing the underlying issue. A new firearm a single shot muzzle loading rifle. A rare and powerful tool capable of killing a bear in a single shot however ammunition is extremely rare and requires gun powder to load not only that but there is a possibility to hurt yourself if are a novice with it. At the end of the day The long dark is not a shooter but a new survival tool would be greatly appreciated because it seems the rifle is rarely enough to combat the larger predators and with the ammo being rare and the possibility of hurting yourself this new gun would be seldom carried and used sparingly.

48 minutes ago, Unfortunatemutt said:

Unfortunately I've never had that kind of luck 

Yes, critical hits are a matter of RNG-generated luck, but certainly possible to get on a bear with the .303.  There would be no guarantee that Hinterlands would implement the muzzle loader with any higher chance of getting a crit than the .303.  If they did implement it, I doubt I would ever use it... weight is a big thing in this game so the more I can do with a single weapon and the lighter that weapon is, the happier I am because I stay more mobile that way.

Not bragging here, but Iv taken bear, moose, wolf, and deer with each type of weapon save for the crossbow and flare gun....best I can say is make sure your hunting your game properly. If its dangerouse, make a clear path or a way to get up high first so you can predict the path of the animal, and keep your distance so you can get a second shot it. When it comes to that second shot, aim for the face.....white of the bear muzzle or between the eye's of the wolf and moose.

I had a wolf corner me not long ago. It hunched, growled and started to advance. I pulled out the revolver, hoping to just scare it off if it hadn't already committed to the kill. One random, blind shot later I had a fur pelt at my feet and not a scratch on me. 

Another time I crept up to a deer nice and slow, and waited for it to stop moving and dip its head. I leveled the revolver, took careful aim, and shot it right in the eye. It moaned, knelt down and collapsed on its side. Was able to finish my boots thanks to that.

Yet another time, I stepped out of the cabin at the Fishing Camp on CH just in time to see the short end of a bear wandering past me. I pulled out my rifle and popped one of my 3 rounds in its haunch. As it bellowed and turned to charge me I fired another round, and it only made 2 steps before I was able to turn it into a rug.

I don't think another firearm is needed. If it made the current animals too easy to kill, they would just have to introduce new creatures with more challenging mechanics, which would lead to a new weapon, repeating the cycle.  Besides, isn't the Bear Spear supposed to be coming to sandbox? If so, we could, theoretically, use it on moose too.

Edited by Silverhour
spelling

Guest jeffpeng

For someone mostly playing Interloper I am always fascinated by how effective the rifle is at medium to long range. And also how far you can actually effectively use it - like really, really far. I think it's theoretical range is unlimited, as I've seen pictures of people sniping the wolf down in Winding River from atop of the dam, and I myself did my fair bit of Canadian Sniper impressions.

When playing 4DON I racked up some 40 wolf kills and 4 bears expending little more than 50 ammunition (it was more like "4 Days of Night of which Day 3 is also The Purge"). It's accurate, it's devastating, it's already twice the damage of any other weapon in the game. It's heavy, but boy can you put holes in things once you have Level 3 or 4 under your belt. And now you can even replenish your ammunition almost infinitely. So .... no. The Rifle is the pinnacle of offensive weaponry. There's a reason it's not in Interloper: it's too good.

If you really need to defend yourself from a bear or a moose there is the flare gun. That's its purpose. It's basically a sidearm (as short weapons are mainly aimed at defending yourself rather than being able to carry out offensive actions.... which is why you don't go hunting with a pistol, and cops don't carry an assault rifle on patrol). It's light, and it is a 100% deterrant, even when already charging, for everything except Timberzombies. Bears will bleed out 100% of the time after being hit by a flare. Its only drawback is that you cannot restock ammunition, but a few very good suggestions have already been made to remedy this.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:34 AM, Unfortunatemutt said:

I'm sure we have all been face to face with a hungry bear or a moose too close to home. I think I might have the solution to that problem while also balancing the underlying issue. A new firearm a single shot muzzle loading rifle. A rare and powerful tool capable of killing a bear in a single shot however ammunition is extremely rare and requires gun powder to load not only that but there is a possibility to hurt yourself if are a novice with it. At the end of the day The long dark is not a shooter but a new survival tool would be greatly appreciated because it seems the rifle is rarely enough to combat the larger predators and with the ammo being rare and the possibility of hurting yourself this new gun would be seldom carried and used sparingly.

How about bear spray?

@Unfortunatemutt

I personally really appreciate the balance that Hinterland has struck with the weapons they've decided to incorporate.  I don't see anything that needs fixing... nor weapons that need adding.  Personally, I think we already have all the weapons we could possibly need (I've mentioned this before).

:coffee::fire:

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 8:53 AM, ManicManiac said:

Late to the party I know... but shotguns?  I'd rather not.  I think we have all the weapons we could possibly need.  (though I am still hopeful the bear spear will still make an appearance in survival in the future --- definitely not a necessity, but since it was spoke of by the Hinterland team... I'm eager to see what they'll come up with for it)

• Upvote 1