UwUMachine

Hello From Kentucky!

Hello! My name is A.J. and I'm from Kentucky...where the weather gets from The Long Dark levels of cold to Australia bush fire levels. I've been in love with The Long Dark for a long time. Although I really got into it around the update where they added visible arms, which isn't related to why I got interested. I'm more or less interested in the actual story of the game and the lore, which causes me to have a hard time staying involved with any sort of Survival Mode. I love any form of media that comes from this game (art, stories, shorts, etc) and am still awaiting any news for some sort of live action short/movie/show/whatever because I love the premise of this game so much. Anyways...more about me I guess?

I am a furry, yes, but don't let that have you judge me for what I am. It's just a hobby and it only really exceeds to enjoying the art that people create.
I am an avid PC gamer. I play a wide array of PC games, although recently Escape from Tarkov has caught my eye...along with L.A. Noire
I am an avid gun nerd. I love anything firearm related, I could probably name any WW1/2 firearm just by looking at it because that's my favorite field of study. The in-game Lee Enfield still doesn't look like a sporterized Lee Enfield and I highly dislike that...for some reason. 
I am the minority that wouldn't mind more firearms in the game.

Those are just some things...but you are welcome to ask me questions. I do own a Discord server, but I don't thing this would be the right place to advertise that. I hope everyone has a good day/night. :)

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

On 1/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, UwUMachine said:

The in-game Lee Enfield still doesn't look like a sporterized Lee Enfield and I highly dislike that...for some reason. 

I actually think that the old style Enfield fits way more in with the theme of the game than any polymer or carbon fiber stocked FAL or AR would in a billion years. 

Enjoy the forums!

2 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

I actually think that the old style Enfield fits way more in with the theme of the game than any polymer or carbon fiber stocked FAL or AR would in a billion years. 

Enjoy the forums!

I hope to enjoy the forums, but as a counter argument to your statement. I don't mean some modern one with carbon fiber, I mean ones like the one in the image below!

british-lee-enfield-number-4-mark-1-sporterized-6.jpg

1 minute ago, EjectedCasings said:

Oh okay, I get what you mean. Less of a surplus rifle?

Correct. It seems that it'd make more sense for the rifle to look like one made for hunting and not warfare. Although it could be counter argued that a regular Lee Enfield may be cheaper then a sporterized one and that is why they would have one.

3 hours ago, UwUMachine said:

Correct. It seems that it'd make more sense for the rifle to look like one made for hunting and not warfare. Although it could be counter argued that a regular Lee Enfield may be cheaper then a sporterized one and that is why they would have one.

Actually, the reasons are historical and climatic.

First, the history: the Lee-Enfield rifle has been used there for over a century, both by just folks and the military, in particular the Canadian Rangers reserve unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers). They are still in use by this unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers#Weapons). That rifle is an iconic rifle in Canada, far more than M4s or Winchesters and so on. There's a decent article on the effort to replace the rifle here: https://uphere.ca/articles/tale-two-rifles. This rifle says Mad Trapper, this rifle says Call of the Wild, this rifle says Farley Mowat, this rifle says Klondike gold rush. It's the right model.

The climatic reason the rifle has the full wooden stock covering the majority of the barrel is to make it easier to use in arctic winter temperatures. If it's -45 and you put your bare hands on the barrel, you are inviting serious injury. Wood is a far better material than metal to be touching in those conditions.

8 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Actually, the reasons are historical and climatic.

First, the history: the Lee-Enfield rifle has been used there for over a century, both by just folks and the military, in particular the Canadian Rangers reserve unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers). They are still in use by this unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers#Weapons). That rifle is an iconic rifle in Canada, far more than M4s or Winchesters and so on. There's a decent article on the effort to replace the rifle here: https://uphere.ca/articles/tale-two-rifles. This rifle says Mad Trapper, this rifle says Call of the Wild, this rifle says Farley Mowat, this rifle says Klondike gold rush. It's the right model.

The climatic reason the rifle has the full wooden stock covering the majority of the barrel is to make it easier to use in arctic winter temperatures. If it's -45 and you put your bare hands on the barrel, you are inviting serious injury. Wood is a far better material than metal to be touching in those conditions.

Ah, this makes more sense now! I appreciate you explaining it to me, as I see alot of metal exposed on the sporterized Lee Enfield. Do you know why as to the Lee Enfield in the game is so...different looking then the actual Lee Enfield? Is the firearm covered under some sort of copyright law or something?

The overall art style is simplified, and hearkens back to the Group of Seven, Emily Carr, and other Canadian painters from the first half of the twentieth century... though they largely worked in oils, not watercolour; I suspect that sort of watercolour art style used in this game is more easily carried off in computer games than trying to make the world look like a Tom Thompson oil. It's not really supposed to be realistic; it's the way a painter would paint it if carried by a figure in the mid-ground of a landscape.

Even the music you hear on the radio when you switch one on points at Canadian culture; while the recording used in the game is not him, it's very reminiscent of the kind of thing you'd hear from Glenn Gould, who was considered one of the best classical pianists in the world in the forties and fifties; his recordings of Bach are legendary. I think it'd be awesome if Hinterland could swing getting literally hours of Glenn Gould into the game for use when the radio is on; he's got tons of recordings (not all of which are solo piano pieces) and it'd be a super nice touch to the game... like someone freezing to death at one of the repeaters up there put the big ol' NFB reel to reel of Glenn Gould playing Bach and The Idea of North on to die to and now you can hear his dying music every time the Aurora is out.

1 minute ago, stratvox said:

The overall art style is simplified, and hearkens back to the Group of Seven, Emily Carr, and other Canadian painters from the first half of the twentieth century... though they largely worked in oils, not watercolour; I suspect that sort of watercolour art style used in this game is more easily carried off in computer games than trying to make the world look like a Tom Thompson oil. It's not really supposed to be realistic; it's the way a painter would paint it if carried by a figure in the mid-ground of a landscape.

Even the music you hear on the radio when you switch one on points at Canadian culture; while the recording used in the game is not him, it's very reminiscent of the kind of thing you'd hear from Glenn Gould, who was considered one of the best classical pianists in the world in the forties and fifties; his recordings of Bach are legendary. I think it'd be awesome if Hinterland could swing getting literally hours of Glenn Gould into the game for use when the radio is on; he's got tons of recordings (not all of which are solo piano pieces) and it'd be a super nice touch to the game... like someone freezing to death at one of the repeaters up there put the big ol' NFB reel to reel of Glenn Gould playing Bach and The Idea of North on to die to and now you can hear his dying music every time the Aurora is out.

Ah, well thanks for the awfully long explanation lol. I know less about the game then I thought. I've always appreciated the artstyle of the game, which also makes it easier to run on lower spec computers, but I always wondered what a realistic looking Long Dark would look like.

Well, you know... this game is pretty much the ne plus ultra of a game set in Canada, and I'm Canadian, so I know all the cultural references. I've posted about some of this quite some time back and included some pictures of the paintings that I'm sure inspired some of the art style of the game in 

and in 

which have some nice pictures in them.

I spent part of my childhood living in Prince George in the BC interior in the Rocky Mountains. This game really speaks to me. 

• Upvote 1