As the wizard sleeps

wizard03

Decided to take a crack at the new challenge.....Hooboy is this a mean one....Gotta keep yourself in all green, never let one stat or another fall down into the red....for the first time ever, I am actually afraid of the cold, literally spawning fires left and right, "JUST" to get out of BI...….as for the wolfies, they are not a problem so far, got a sneaky way around them, but man oh man, this is going to be a good one...

Ok, so this is kinda more for me so I can look back at this and figure things out if Im doing something wrong, but hey. For your entertainment, and perhaps a few hints for your own run, here is what Iv found so far:

Ok, to start with the lighthouse is pretty empty, go up one lvl and you will get one marine flare, a piece of cedar, and possibly a sewing kit {sewing kits are golden, grab and look everywhere you can for em!} You might have a pot, can, craft book, and Sulphur on the first floor. Once you get going, you have a choice to make. Go straight for the workers residence to make sure you take zero damage to the first safe spot, or take a risk on some damage by going to the ice fishing hut....if you go to the ice fishing hut, you will be rewarded with at least another marine flare, but possibly a pre cured maple sapling and other random goodies. After that, run to the workers residence.

Once you arrive at the workers residence, there is an ice fishing hut outside you could take a look around, but nothing of extreme value. Just random RNG. What is important however, is there is 5 pieces of coal over by the ruined huts, if you have enough heat left in your gauge, you might want to avoid the ice hut, grab the coal, and go inside the good building. Its warm in there. While checking the good building, you may find another marine flare, sewing kit, random clothing, and usually a food item. However the most crucial bit is the curtains.....cloth will be nearly impossible to find, Id strongly recommend starting a fire, hitting one or two pieces of coal, getting some water boiling, and tearing into the cloth. Once your temp is up {and hopefully you let the wind die down} get your goodies and run towards the cannery, be careful of the bear tho. He can and has spawned under the ice a couple times here. At least for me....Next is the decision to push some limits for perhaps some sort of reward or go for safety.

No matter how you do this, you will need to cross the bridge. Make sure you grab whatever wood you can find, tho I do not exactly recommend breaking things down unless its extra convenient. {Waiting for a storm to pass, or time to pass safely} So snag a couple stix along the way. Go up the hill, and start "quickly" checking cars towards the cannery. You will need all the calories you can snag. Do not worry about the batteries! Once you get to the trailer, jump inside, throw down a fire, toss in a coal, cook up some more snow to drink to help pass the time, if fire gets bowed out, just start running to next stop. Also, the last car on the bridge to the cannery, the one AFTER the trailer, sometimes matches will spawn on the ground, behind the drivers door. 

Now for the next tough decision, cautiously go around the wolves at the cannery to the a secondary trailer unit for more supplies, or safely go down the hill towards the washed out trailers and prepare for the next day. In all honesty, if it wasn't for the clothing situation, Id say just go for the washed out trailers and mend clothing, but since I have indeed found a pair of combat pants in those other trailers, Id suggest taking a look if your conditions {and weather} permits. I absolutely do not suggest going and taking a look at the cannery itself. Even if you have 3 or maybe a super lucky 4 marine flares, I would not tempt fate for whats at the cannery.....Nasty sardines left and right, nothing else to really put my life on the line for...Either way, work the further most edge of the hill AWAY from the cannery. Try not to dawdle, but do not try to run either. I have noticed you can "spot" the wolves, but try to stay out of eyesight as well. Just don't fall off the edge and onto the ice, unsure if you can climb all the way up from the bottom. If you slide down just a pinch and work your way along tho, you should be just fine.

If you go to the "Other" trailers, keep an eye out for the pants, if you need to sleep the night, do so and spend some time mending clothing/tearing apart chairs for wood till its about noon, and once you get em looted, start hauling back to the washed out trailers over the hill.....It will be a bit of a curvy windy path, but there is a dead body or backpack and spare loot laying around a fire pit. Its a must have to keep up on your calorie count, unless RNG kicks you in the butt, then keep going to washed out trailers. If you get there before night time, mend clothing till tired, then sleep. 

At this point in time, thirst becomes a key problem, but its time to start trying to get out of bleak inlet. Id suggest going for a run, heading towards the island hunting blind south of the cave to forlone muskeg. Once tired and temperature starts to get bad, slap down a quick fire that's hopefully out of the wind. You will get cold, you might be thirsty, you might take some damage from either one, but this is about the best bet you will have at curing both in the same breath instead of one OR the other. Thankfully we should still have a piece of coal left from the ruined shack at the start, just make sure your fire is cleaver. I found a little corner in between a couple slabs of rock and even when the wind shifted, it wasn't good enough to blow it out......If your low on calorie count, Id recommend NOT harvesting deer meat. Iv had about 12 fires getting blown out before the deer thawed to the point where I could use my hands to harvest. Just grab cat stalks if you must.

Hunting blind has RNG stuff, but nothing else to mention. After that, go to cave and work your way to FM. And this ends part one, stay tuned to learn about the rare item spawn in train cars on FM! :) 

Edited by wizard03
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I'm an idiot.  If you saw my previous comment, disregard.  This time of night, after working a 12 hour day and drinking three fingers of scotch, my brain ain't operating at full throttle.

Just woke up, so I saw nothing. And I have behaved since my birthday last year. The rum has been in the back of the fridge, untouched. :P

Although after looking at how I posted all of those spelling and grammar errors last night, I might want to go check. o.O 

That dream you were having where you were having drinks at the bar with friends? Yeah, that was actually you sleepwalking to your fridge. Your rum is gone LOL.

The new challenge is a tough one for sure. Took me a few tries before I completed it. They should make it an achievement.. I'd like to see what percentage of TLD players finish it.

Keep us posted on your progress! I'm curious to see how this slightly more guarded and methodical approach works. I usually GTFO of BI as fast as I can. My goal is to sleep the first night at the leaf bed in the transition cave.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jhickie said:

Thought about that, but between damage from cold weather and lack of clothing for warmth, seems like a loss Im uncomfortable with. As it is, Iv already burned through each stim Iv found thus far. Either way...

AS THE WIZARD SLEEPS. prt 2

Ok, so I left off on a run towards TWM forgoing BR in hopes of getting better clothing, seems the cold keeps sapping my temperature gauge dry every time I turn around. Not sure if it was bad RNG or what, but I just couldn't out tank the cold very well and decided to just get to the big supply cache in the sky. Sadly I got bent over and railroaded by some sketchy looking planks on the broken part of the railroad in ravine and plummeted.... Video of death in action here!

After starting again and getting back to the exit of BI, I worked on my calories by drinking tea's....I had done a lot of work trying to keep my calories above 0, but unless you manage to blast 6 tea's out at a time with the big 6 burner stove, the idea of using craft able tea's as a calorie boost is a bad one, but it does suffice to pass time till the fog lifted enough that I could see the lake and any cat tails to provide sufficient calorie intake. After loading up on cat tails, I decided it might be best to visit the first grave in broken railroad. But first, the derailed train cart in the middle of forlone muskeg, and the rare item I mentioned.

Every single pass Iv made through the railroad carts, there has always been a improvised tool, either knife or hatchet.....On this run I got the knife {sweet, I can cut up frozen deer carcasses!} Now honestly, I could craft deer skin boots and what not, but Im trying my best to avoid wolfies and do not want to deal with a scent problem, so other than sneaking off into a corner with the meat and cooking it up like smegal does with his fishies, Im typically clean of scent and can walk around any wolves that pop up.

Once Im done with the cleanup around the train cart, I go ahead and run towards where I think is the old pence farmstead is, sadly the fog is back, so the path probably wasn't the best. After reviewing the time and route I was going to take, I now know that it would have been a good idea to drop some extra food and skins to cure at the pence homestead as I could have crafted some boots or pants from dear carcasses when I come back through. Anyways, the goodies there is a safe with....only money in it. x.x dog food in one crate, and some accelerant for fires in the other, let alone plenty of wood to keep a fire burning for a day or two. On my way however, I have concluded that I am causing a problem for myself by trying to over stretch myself on very long journeys. It seems sleep and running go hand in hand and during my last few minutes of hiking to the pence homestead, I was completely exhausted and unable to run. This becomes a bit of a problem over and over again, thankfully the wolfies did not get in the way or see me.

Pence homestead has loads of this nifty coal stuff and boy oh boy do I love it. Sadly its not for forging tho as I had not found a hammer. Plenty of scrap and I probably found plenty of coal over the course of me getting there, but I wasn't in the mood anyhow, just want to keep moveing. Other than that, a couple of this n that, and a sewing kit which I used to mend clothing. Once done, I decide to sleep, and then move on towards broken railroad. I get to the maintenance shed, pay my respects to the first grave, then hit the building. The first stim pack I found was in the big crate on the upper storage pallet along with a whet stone. Cool, can sharpen my knife now, but more was to be done first, I noticed daylight was shrinking and while I wasn't exhausted yet, I would be way before I got to the hunting lodge, so decided to bail on searching the whole shed for getting to good shelter to sleep in. On the way there, I decided to use the stim to recover my health a bit, and to run non stop to the lodge...Got there just as the stim wore off and went to sleep. Next day, tore into the lodge, got some coffee, a bed roll, and another stim pack. Sweet! Also grabbed the rope, but did not deploy it at the rock right there at the lodge. Decided to go down the hard way {so much for that boost last night. x.x} Went to the ravine off the side of the lake, scrabbled down to nip some deer meat and cat tails, got another stim pack out of the supply cache! and went back to the maintenance shed, searched around, found a whole car battery sitting on the workbench. o.O and found a hacksaw.....starting to get overloaded now, I decided to leave most of the stuff behind. Just food, water, some firewood, and basic tools. Hacksaw was left behind.

The wolves seemed to really hate my red flares, but Id suggest being very sparing with them....If you can't outrun them, then use the flares. Either way hauled butt back to FM, stopped back at pence homestead, hauled to the trappers cabin, on mystery lake, then the hunting blind, watch tower, took a look around carter dam {that place is a waste of time, nothing in it really}, dropped down into the ravine to pay my respects, picked up the flare gun, hit some coffee and a stim pack on the ledge back up, got across the missing chunk of railroad this time, went to coastal highway and quickly turned to PV, skipped through PV fairly easily, and go to timber wolf mountain......

Paid my respects to the third grave, and did my plow run to the summit. For the first time ever, I actually felt like I might not have been able to make it....For real, it was blizzard after blizzard, my temp meter constantly on the lower half, I was scared, I thought about backing down many times before the tree bridge, but I pushed.....I needed that boost, and I forgot my hacksaw.....oh yeah, did I have some seriously strong thoughts and words once I remembered that. XD Got to the top, thankfully the hacksaw that spawns up there from time to time was there, at 100%, and my saving grace. Got the extra stim pack that spawns there, looted everything {why do we get ONE bunny hide? I need 4 of them} and proceeded down the mountain in my normal "loot it all in one go" fashion....Got back to the hut, fixed all my new clothing to 100%, and proceeded to the town in PV.....I used all the stim packs to recover from the HP nips that risk of hypothermia gave me, and am sitting very comfortably with a new set of duds, multiple tools and kits, and about 85% health....Awaiting my next run to the final two graves, sadly I will have to take a look at the maps to figure out how to get there, I have completely forgotten how to get to the mountain town and I have no clue how to get to HRV......I may save that one for last. 

Edited by wizard03
  • Like 1

Nice update. That video was pretty sketchy, don't forget to look down when crossing that spot!

Sounds like you have the DP and HRV graves left to hit. I'm sure you know how to get to DP, but you mentioned not remembering how to get to MT and HRV. Two ways to go, but you have rope climbs either way. Hit MT either through the cave near ML Trapper's or by taking the vine climb up near the cave at FM Marsh Ridge. Once in MT, head up the road and take a left after the Trailer.. the cave to HRV is not far from it.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, jhickie said:

Nice update. That video was pretty sketchy, don't forget to look down when crossing that spot!

Sounds like you have the DP and HRV graves left to hit. I'm sure you know how to get to DP, but you mentioned not remembering how to get to MT and HRV. Two ways to go, but you have rope climbs either way. Hit MT either through the cave near ML Trapper's or by taking the vine climb up near the cave at FM Marsh Ridge. Once in MT, head up the road and take a left after the Trailer.. the cave to HRV is not far from it.

Good luck!

Yeah, I thought it was just mountain town and hushed river valley for some reason. Forgot all about desolate point. But I figured it out, and headed off towards to DP first....I know the area, can find my way around in a blizzard, all good there, but HRV is huge question mark for me, will have to do a throw run on pilgrim to figure it out I suppose. 

As the wizard sleeps, finale!

Alright, so as I pointed out to jhickie, for some reason I thought one of the two graves was in mountain town and almost went the wrong way entirely! Fortunately I looked and corrected myself. I also took a look at some of the maps that has been posted to the steam community forum to get an idea on where to go....right back across the broken railroad tracks that I previously died at. x.x oh goodie. I took off for the mineshaft to get back to coastal highway, then started hauling for the gas station. While I had plenty of tools and wood, sadly food was lacking. Stopped off at the watch tower, the rabbit cove houses, and finally the first house before the gas station….only a can of dog food. Ok, its dark out, I got some food to get through the night, tomorrow Ill snag what's in the gas station and hit the deer carcass that spawns right off the highway on the ice.....Food poisoning....crap, hit some antibodies and sleep it off I guess....here is something crazy, no damage! O.O  I took no damage to truly speak of due to hitting the antibiotics and immediately sleeping the 10 hours!! Will have to ensure Im near a bed whenever I eat questionable food.

Got some more food {no more poisoning this time} and headed to DP. Got to DP and paid my respects to the gave, decided to spend a bit of time and looked around in the cannery for some food. Got a pair of tuke's, a nice pair of undies, a wool sock, and enough food that I really didn't need about it for awhile. After I was fully loaded, I took off and was immediately greeted by the viscous tremor wolf. I thought I would have side stepped him from the noises I hear, but Im guess he pounced as soon as I stepped out of the cannery because within a few moments, he was dragging me down into the snowy underworld. I had half a struggle before I finally got a lucky strike on him with my improvised knife, but when it was all said and done, I was at half health and all of my gear needed repaired. I got back inside and repaired all my stuff, but honestly there wasn't anything keeping me there, so when I was done, I set off again. Apparently Mr wolf had not passed away yet as when I stepped out, he was still running and whimpering.

Nothing too crazy happened as I pursed towards HRV, I went along the railroad, crossed the broken section without falling, cut off towards Alan's cave and mystery lake cabins, got distracted by the sudden appearance of a climbing rope, ascended mysterious climbing rope, ran down the hill and to the Camp Office when a blizzard busted loose, ran towards the cabins in the back of the lakeside after sleeping, remembered the rope behind the cabins is what leads to Milton, busted on all the homes, got enough food to last two or three days without anything, went towards the church, then the trailer, then the cave, and finally popped up out into hushed valet....this is the first time Iv ever gone there voluntarily. 

When I got in, not even going to lie, I checked the location on the in game map, and went straight into internet explorer on the xbox, and proceed to check, double check, get lost, triple check, and finally confirmed, I wanted to more or less hang a tight right upon entering HRV and proceed to the rope that takes you up to many falls vista. Imagine my surprise when I seen it. That last cross....Im half health, couple pieces of food left, and 12% of my striker left, but there it is. The last cross, and one more paid in full

I took one last look around, nodded a bit to myself, and ended the challenge.

This challenge was tough, unforgiving, I don't know if I couldn't even use the stim packs, but luckily it all panned out. It was tough, one of the hardest Iv faced and well worthy of it level of difficulty, but when one doesn't back down and learns from their mistakes, all it takes is time. 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:49 AM, wizard03 said:

No matter how you do this, you will need to cross the bridge.

This is not correct, there is another safe way to the cave to leave BI.

I would suggest to everyone to leave BI on the shortest possible way. After less than 7 hours ingame time, I already reach the building in broken railroad!

8 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

This is not correct, there is another safe way to the cave to leave BI.

I would suggest to everyone to leave BI on the shortest possible way. After less than 7 hours ingame time, I already reach the building in broken railroad!

I'm curious how others attack it. I have made it to the FM cave many times without losing any condition, but I need to make a fire along the way to warm up. The bridge is nice because you can loot the cars and make a fire in the overturned trailer.

So, when trying to get out of BI as fast as possible, I usually hit the residences, cross the bridge, hit the washed out trailers, cross the front of the delta, and head straight up to the cave. Not crossing the bridge leaves the only other option to go under it, no? I tried to hug the cliffs to the right of the delta, but encountered thin ice everywhere.

Is the route I take not the shortest route out, or is there a faster way? Based on your claim of reaching the BR Shed in 7 hours, you must be taking a lot of condition loss on the way out.

18 hours ago, jhickie said:

Based on your claim of reaching the BR Shed in 7 hours, you must be taking a lot of condition loss on the way out.

Yes I lose (40%) a lot of condition. Different than others I make my fire in the first house where you also get the cloth from the curtain (also boiling water there).
Then I leave out the next fire in the cave to FM, my second fire is Old Spence Homestead, where I cook two mushroom teas, which almost hold me warm until Maintenance yard.

Here is a video (not from me) where you can see the shortest way out of BI  (about minute 7:00)

Edited by Goodzilla

3 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

looting is overvalued in this speedrun! I almost loot nothing here.

Quite true. I guess I'm just looking for the fastest way out of BI because I hate it lol. I'm not much of a speedrunner, but I did finish it in 10 days. 

Thanks for posting the video! I had no idea you could go out that way!

Started a new run yesterday and could no more use the shortcut in BI!?

Was there a update? I never saw something like this from Hinterland.

There are so many shortcuts in the game, and this is the first time they changed something on the territory to make a short cut impossible.

Anybody else recognized this?

10 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

They did mention something about fixing areas where you could get out of the intended play area in the hotfix. They certainly changed the area where you could shortcut.

Thank you! I did not read something like that. So I have also to check other areas if they changed it or not. Will be hard to make a new best time.

Yesterday I went through the bridge and I think I will lose 60 to 75 minutes

13 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

Thank you! I did not read something like that. So I have also to check other areas if they changed it or not. Will be hard to make a new best time.

Yesterday I went through the bridge and I think I will lose 60 to 75 minutes

Just wondering, what is your best time on this new challenge?

On 1/25/2020 at 4:55 AM, dbmurph22 said:

Just take the subway.  Now that the preds are removed from it, the coast is clear.

Thanks for this! However I went there yesterday my very first time under the bridge and the bear was waiting for me there.... later on also the moose was saying hello to me in BI. Shall upload a screenshot later.

Hey-o, look out.  Yeah I actually do walk under the bridge as the ice is fine there and it leads me to laying low past the cannery woofs.

However, my subway joke wasn't about that.  I was caught in a moment and the fix to the shortcut to remove the wall-walk to get past the scrub led me to thinking about other things they fixed like the predators who were underground previously.  I was just saying that now maybe we put our survivor underground and move about, now that the preds seem to be gone from that tract.  But it's probably closed for business for everyone.