Rebalancing The Long Dark

Guest jeffpeng

Warmth from fires/stoves.

A few times, while playing a Stalker level game, I have been next to a fire yet received no heat benefit.  The worst example of this was in the fishing hut at Pensive Pond.  Outside there was raging blizzard and temperatures were very low.  Inside the hut, with the door shut, and the fire burning continuously I was still freezing. I had the benefit of being sheltered from the wind but no warmth benefit from being next to a burning stove.  I only managed to stay alive by having hot drinks.  I am fairly sure that I have had similar experiences in other places at Stalker level.

It is different in Voyager.

I feel that I should get some warmth benefit from being close to a fire.

4 hours ago, peteloud said:

It is different in Voyager.

On Voyager, the game is set to "Fires always prevent freezing" in Stalker and above you don't have this benefit, meaning your fire needs to be hot enough to overcome the outside temperature. This is a feature, not a bug. I once was standing in the middle of a blizzard on Voyageur and had a fire going in the fire barrel next to the house in PV, even with only a handful of sticks I was fine (which in reality is quite ridiculous). If you want a hotter fire, stick with sticks and coal.