where do the missing arrows go?

piddy3825

where do the missing arrows go?

I thought I had heard something about the recent updates that fixed loosing an arrow when the animal died on top of it.  Supposedly the arrow now can almost always be recovered.  For the most part I've found this to be case,  especially in those cases where I get an instakill on deer for example and almost always on a wolf bleedout situation.  but the last two times I tangled with the bear in particular, I shot him three times during one encounter and twice on another encounter.  Both times I only recovered a single arrow.  net loss of three arrows out of 5 fired.  Both times they dropped not too far from where I shot them.  I combed the area on multiple occasions over the next few days just to see if maybe they fell out or whatever, but no joy.

just curious if anybody else getting similar results in your gameplay? 

• 1 month later...

Recently I have been having a problem with losing arrows, mostly with deer. 

80% - 90% of the time, when  I kill a deer with a single arrow, I can not recover the arrow.  When this happens I usually return to the place of the kill after the carcass disappears, but still there is no arrow.  It was not this bad a few updates ago.

A few times I have fired 3-4 arrows at a bear and not been able to recover all of the arrows.

No problem with rabbits, usually after I pick up the rabbit carcass the arrow appears.

I can't remember with wolves.  Recently for then I have been using the revolver in order to create some empty cartridge cases for refilling.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if quartering might be a useful work-around?

I don't generally have too much trouble losing arrows since I typically go for one-shot kills, but I might try seeing what happens if I quarter my next hunt instead of recovering the arrow.

I have a feeling that some fleeing animals (after you shoot them), sometimes drop arrows while fleeing.

A few days ago, I was hunting the Misanthrope bear in Coastal Highway. I shot him and quickly went inside the house. Later I found an arrow where he was the moment I went inside, not where he died later.

28 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I've found a couple of times that I've not purposely picked up the arrow, but when I've finished the harvesting it's there in my inventory.

This was a recent change, and a welcome one in my opinion. Kills landing on top of the arrow and not being accessible until the carcass either despawned or was completely harvested was a real pain. Now, they are either right next to the carcass or will show up in your inventory when you interact with it. Much better!

On 2/12/2020 at 3:10 AM, WillemD said:

I have a feeling that some fleeing animals (after you shoot them), sometimes drop arrows while fleeing.

A few days ago, I was hunting the Misanthrope bear in Coastal Highway. I shot him and quickly went inside the house. Later I found an arrow where he was the moment I went inside, not where he died later.

This has always been the case. Sometimes, when an animal runs off with an arrow in them, the arrow will fall out before they bleed out. Typically, after fleeing and returning to a normal pace, an animal will return to its path. Look for the arrow along that path. Often times, the carcass can be found very close to where you shot it.