Nifty Things You Found Out

desertedone

8 hours ago, desertedone said:

You can make a campfire outside of a snow shelter while inside the snow shelter. What did you found out that was interesting and not very obvious?

Ok, did not know that.....always had to take wild guesses where to put the fire before setting it up.

Cured leather that is ruined can still repair gear, I know that one.

• Upvote 1

You only begin to lose condition from exhaustion after 1 full hour with your fatigue sub-condition at zero.  So if you have a single cup of coffee, you can esc-cancel after drinking about a quarter of a cup, pass an hour of time, drink another quarter cup, pass an hour, and repeat.  This will allow you to pass about 4 hours at zero fatigue with zero condition loss, off one cup of coffee.  If you time it right.

Also, the 1% restored condition for 2 hours that birch bark tea grants you applies even if you are exhausted.  This means 1 cup of birch bark tea will negate 2 hours of condition damage due to exhaustion.  If you have sufficient quantities of birch bark tea and coffee, you can survive many days in a row without rest.

• Upvote 2

Hold onto all of the tinder bundles and cat tails you find. Once you get a high enough level in fire crafting you don't need the tinder and can use them to make blizzard trails on the ground. I usually make a network of trails on the icy bodies of water so that if i get lost on the ice in a blizzard i can walk in any direction and stumble onto a trail which will bring me to shelter. Thank you Wintermute ep3 for prompting the idea 😄

Also, Stop and listen. I don't know how many times I narrowly avoided a predator encounter by just stopping for a moment and listening. Oh, and use the weather or it will use you. Smell carries down wind so walk with the wind on open ground and against the wind on broken up ground (to not be slowed down)

(Originally posted on FB but seems like Hinterland really wants to promote forum use and I'm all for that)

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Tactical Ex said:

Also, Stop and listen. I don't know how many times I narrowly avoided a predator encounter by just stopping for a moment and listening. 

Have to agree with this one, headphone use isn't just for FPS games, its also good to hear the bear on the other side of next hill.