Moments you just say well this is it and suicide

desertedone

I think it was in my first n00b games. I somehow found myself between a moose and a bear. The bear was coming after me the moose charged me and then I got broken ribs. The bear gets me and I'm surprised I'm still alive. I got angry and just threw rocks at the bear like he didn't have the courtesy of just finishing me off. And I got my wish. 

Once I spawned on Hushed River Valley on Interloper as a n00b I was like OK well and just jumped off the cliff. 

• Upvote 1

I described one recently on another thread.  Top of TWM, overloaded and decided to try to drop some tools over the cliff near the rope.  Got too close to the edge and fell part way down.  Unable to climb back up to the top of the cliff and unable to find a path from where I landed in order to mountain goat down.  Figured I'd rather jump and get it over with than starve or freeze to death.  RIP Will... you should have just used the regular mountain goat route to get all that loot to the bottom.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I used the elevator in Cinder Hills during an aurora...touched one of the cables and got burned. On my way out the aurora subsided and i was trapped.

I managed to survive for 6 days....then the cabin fever kicked in :/

No more food, no waiting, no sleeping...no aurora coming. So i went into the cold water and embraced the long dark.

This was my most "f*****up* death so far. Not going there anytime soon, without huge amounts of supplies ^^

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I play Loper and DMC, so if I get a crappy spawn (I'm looking at you, midnight blizzard) I'll just restart. No intentional suicides though, outside of my very first game where I got stuck out behind the Dam (I know) and was going to freeze to death. Did a swan dive off the back wall. Little did I know I was already on the path back to safety.

Also remember getting to the crash site in MT last time I was playing 4DON. It was my goal to make it all the way up there in the Day 4 blizzard, and once I made it, I shot the flare gun Hopeless Challenge style, and jumped into the long dark. It was glorious.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Idk if this is really related enough, but I'm like the utter opposite. I mean, unless you consider deleting saves "suicide" but anyway, I've got two recorded deaths from the very, VERY first runs. One was pilgrim where I wanted to know if falling into ravines was instadeath, yes it was. The other was a week-in wolf attack. Ever since then I've never been in a situation that hopeless, and I tend to rough out beginnings (keep in mind I'm a voyager - custom regular so "rough beginnings" is very different to me).

• Upvote 1

I was new to the game, playing Pilgrim, and I fell off the Lake Overlook while trying to goat for the first time. I survived the fall with about 4% health left and sprained everything. That is when I knew it was time to play a harder difficulty.

3 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Ah yes... I did that once in Deadman mode when I got cornered by a gang of rabbits. I jumped off the rail bridge over the Ravine. I even took a picture.

With the possibility of disabling birch bark crafting, the old style deadman is possible and doable. If you ever decide to take up the challenge again, please document and post it, loved reading your survival stories on the forums. It was like a daily ritual for me!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dan_ said:

With the possibility of disabling birch bark crafting, the old style deadman is possible and doable. If you ever decide to take up the challenge again, please document and post it, loved reading your survival stories on the forums. It was like a daily ritual for me!

Thanks! I've noticed the new birch bark option. One day, perhaps, "Number 10" shall return....

Guest jeffpeng

Not technically a suicide, but a moment of utter acceptance of fate.

On my penultimate "Sasquatch" run in TWM (TWM only, without sleeping in the Hut ^^) I forgot my can after a crafting trip to the Hut. When I realised I was already back at the Three-Way-Cave, so, dehydrated I panicked and went back to the hut in a rather unfavorable night. Got cornered by a bear, fell down a cliff, and there I was, broken and defeated in the Engine gorge. That's when I gave up, drank a coffee - and just died.

Edited by jeffpeng

Do semi-accidental suicides count?

156 days into a Stalker, exploring the last zone (HRV) for the umpteenth time (on different games) and I just wondered if there was a goat way from the first peak cave above Monolith Lake to the other one.  Took a few steps out and ... that cliff was straight down after all.  
it was quick at least!  

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2020 at 4:41 PM, desertedone said:

I think it was in my first n00b games. I somehow found myself between a moose and a bear. The bear was coming after me the moose charged me and then I got broken ribs.

When I first started playing it was well before the moose was even teased. My biggest fails were the first several attempts to survive. Now when I was first starting out it was also before you needed a pot or an empty can to melt and boil water for safe drinking, and I would keep starting out near a small not-really-cave area and would die of cold and dehydration.

I avoid bears as much as possible and really try not to get into it with the wolves even today.

I'm not there yet, but when I reach the point of extreme boredom in TLD, then I would go to DP, go to top of the lighthouse, wait until dawn, take off everything, take a cup of hot coffee and a piece of moose steak for the last time, and watch the sunrise, and fall a sleep which would never be able to wake up. You could call this Arthur Morgan style, well, except the steak and coffee. But anyway, I like that DP lighthouse. I also considered a honorable combat against the bear or moose, only with barehand. Either way, I wish my character to head up when facing the end, not down. 

But, jeez, but just imagining that gave me gloomy feeling, even in PC game.

I really wish any proper end-game option and more late-game contents and more maps for survival mode. I believe my character deserve better ending than this. 

Edited by sonics01

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, stirfoo said:

Early game frostbite. It's only happened a couple of times. I drop all my gear and run around in the blizzard until a croak. I see no point at all in playing a game with a permanently crippled health meter.

One of my early longest lived survivors got frostbite early and would've lasted lots longer than 118 days...if she hadn't got double wolf attacked in DP.

I always push my survivor through to the end.

I only suicide in the rare case that I get stuck somewhere random I can't get out of. 

It doesn't happen often but if I get frostbite I'll hang up that run. I don't need a red reminder of my failures every time I look at the condition bar 😆

If I get attacked early on, I'll try to push through but it's usually a death sentence while I hurriedly scrap my socks for bandages.

• 4 weeks later...

Think only time I’ve maxed every skill was on my 500 day run. Made it to 850 days, then climbed down into the ravine, started a whole bunch of fires, ate whatever I had on me, fired alll my guns and flares, took off my clothes, and jumped in a fire till I was dead. Cause at that point the game was insanely boring......also my only suicide ever.

Years ago (late 2014, perhaps early 2015), I gave Pilgrim a try just to see what it was like (I didn't know much about it at the time, other than more loot and slower needs/item decay).  Once I realized that wolves were passive... I decided to just take a walk off the Raven Falls truss bridge.  :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac