Faithful Cartographer Achievement Locations in The Long Dark [SPOILERS] - Updated w/ Bleak Inlet

Admin

To be honest, at this point I don't care about FC anymore, it's just a waste of time to map the locations when either the location spawns and you map it but it doesn't show on the map or the location icon doesn't spawn. No wonder only 0.6% of all STEAM players have this achievement. Bloody waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated here (

) I'm at 190/191 locations. Only Frozen Delta in Bleak Inlet won't trigger - even after 30+ charcoals wasted in different positions. This is SO frustrating >.<

EDIT: I finally got it! It's south of the rocks. However - I think it should trigger if you map when the locations shows up in the upper left corner and not elsewhere on the map!

Edited by Arcx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread as there's plenty of good info here.

I started a fresh game to get some achievements done, but faithful cartographer is giving me problems. When I started my fresh game I copied the locations list on a txt file and I checked them as I draw them ingame. In this way I should have been sure I didn't miss any. Now I have checked all locations and I didn't get the achievement done. Is there anyway to know for sure what I'm missing here?

I had no internet connection while playing last week so I played offline in steam. I think this is not a problem to get the achievement, is it? Can you help me please?

Edited by moroco

Today I noticed that in Forlorn Muskeg the abandoned camp near the southeast shortwave tower cannot be maped. I tried to do it twice in two different playing sessions but it's not appearing in my map. This location is not included in the list so I hope it's not necessary to complete the achievement.

They should put all regions locations in the diary as a list so one would know if you've been there or if it's already mapped.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Dman7815 said:

This is fantastic thank you, I have all maps opened up yet telling me I've only explored 97%, seems I'll be visiting the timber-wolves again in bleak inlet lol. Thank you for this it's a great help 😁

Hehe I really should pay more attention to the journal bit, just noticed it lets one know what maps not got all locations/icons for haha silly me Danielsan 😂

Okay I've gone through all the maps now, uncovered everything but on bleak inlet no matter where I stand and how many times it comes up on top left last resort cannery it just won't come up as found and it's the only thing that's stopping getting this achievement, plus trying to dodge timber wolves is getting more than a joke, Anyone else having this problem?

Edited by Dman7815

1 hour ago, Dman7815 said:

Okay I've gone through all the maps now, uncovered everything but on bleak inlet no matter where I stand and how many times it comes up on top left last resort cannery it just won't come up as found and it's the only thing that's stopping getting this achievement, plus trying to dodge timber wolves is getting more than a joke, Anyone else having this problem?

Got it hehe.

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 6:55 AM, Dman7815 said:

I know this is an old post and it looks like you finally got credit, but I will mention in case anyone else comes into this thread with a similar question: I also had trouble with the Bleak Inlet Cannery; I mapped it like five times and didn't get credit. What finally worked for me was to climb on top of the large "main gate" and survey from up there. I immediately got credit from this perch.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:33 AM, RichoM said:

Has anyone else had any issues with the ravines end waterfall location not showing up or am I in the wrong place?

I am, right now. I walk all over the area where it's supposed to be and nothing. I don't think it's in the lower frozen delta part, so hopefully I don't get down there and have to walk all the way back.

23 hours ago, Bearly Alive said:

I am, right now. I walk all over the area where it's supposed to be and nothing. I don't think it's in the lower frozen delta part, so hopefully I don't get down there and have to walk all the way back.

Ok, so there's a map floating around on the internet that shows the ravine's end waterfall on the higher area near the exit to the Ravine. It actually is on the lower frozen delta part to the northeast.

Edited by Bearly Alive

So I just got the Faithful Cartographer achievement but it didn't make sense. I was up to 188/191 and after getting the Ravine's End Waterfall the total didn't change. Then I was near the Poacher's Camp in FM and even though I already had the icon I mapped that area anyway. I then went to 189/191 and I got the achievement. Still missing "to cave system" in FM and "valley view point" in HRV. I see valley view point missing, but I have all the caves mapped on FM, so yeah...just weird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, PureIncarnate said:

Can someone please explain why there are 2 slightly different lists for coastal highway. There is the coastal region and the coastal mountain region. There is obviously something I’m missing here. 

Yeah, somebody made a booboo when they updated the list.  The original one, now called "Coastal Mountain Region", has 14 total locations.  The new one has 13.  The old list had an "Abandoned Lookout" location trigger to go with the icon, the new list has just the icon.  My best guess is "Coastal Region" list is the latest version, as it has more precise names on the entrance/exit icons.

• 1 month later...

I play on a PC and I have three questions about the Cartographer Achievement.  1) The location lists show 'icons' and 'location triggers'.  Why?  If I also have to map icons, why are there duplicates with triggers for some of them.  If I don't, why list them?  2) I map when I see the location name pop up on my screen but names for some caves (see Mountain Town) don't pop up till I am inside and I can't map inside.  Will mapping either end before I enter work?  3) Some areas (The Arch in MT is one) seem to have no name pop -up.  I approached it - and mapped it - from both directions but no joy on the name.  Will I be credited for a find?  Great game.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, pjorhome said:

. . .  The location lists show 'icons' and 'location triggers'.  Why? . . .

This is an issue HTL needs to sort out.  For 'ticking off' locations or map entities for the Faithful Cartographer, creating maps or just recording locations there needs to be a consistent action.   At the moment some places are triggered automatically some are not and need to be drawn on a charcoal map.

Many times I have been to a location necessary for Faithful Cartographer and found that it has not been included because I didn't draw a charcoal map.  Some places do, some places do not.

Edited by peteloud

I have just returned to The Cannery Workers Residences, BI, after completing Faithful Cartographer,  for the fifth time in Voyager/Stalker games.  ( I don't use those excellent Whiteberry, or similar, maps and I don't use Fandom or similar spoiler websites, but I do backup my saves. )

Journal.thumb.png.5348f76642b03dc5f5f3deeac0b9e45e.png

No, I am not boasting or gloating, quite a few other old hands have similar achievements.  I am just an sad old man with nothing better to do with my life.

I have played TLD in the order of 4,400 hours and strangely, have spend around the same number of days in TLD.

2-3 years ago Faithful Cartographer was quite a lot of work, now it is easy due to a few changes.

I am tempted to push those bigger games to over 1,000 days and 310 locations, but now I need a break.

TLD is a great game, keep at it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all, I apologize if there is any mistake in my English. I've been trying to get this achievement for a long time as well as Faithful Cartographer Finally, I opened every place on the map with a name or icon. but I have a problem that I haven't come across anyone talking about the bug anywhere on the internet and I bought my game from the original steam so it's not pirated If you look at the picture I posted, you'll see what I mean. possible old bear location such a place is not in the mysterious lake if you look at the map of the mysterious lake you will see it in the other picture is the map of the mysterious lake of my own game If anyone knows the solution to the error, please contact me or write a comment under it because I couldn't find it.

20211010214319_1.jpg

20211010214329_1.jpg

Having a similar issue with my game on Xbox One.

As you can see, I have 23/28 locations mapped in Mystery Lake, but 7 (!!) unchecked items (not 5), and the exit to Milton (to cave system) will not map properly. I've used no less than 75 charcoal just today in, around, behind, on the small rock pile in front of, after traversing, looking in all directions, up, down, towards the trapper's homestead, hay barn, inside the cave, towards Max's last stand and nothing. Nothing will trigger the arrows indicating I've mapped it correctly. This is all that's preventing me from completing the Faithful Cartographer achievement. Please help.

10-11-2021_8-18-44_PM-g01sqytc.png

10-11-2021_8-18-55_PM-0ebot3t4.png

10-11-2021_8-10-26_PM-ifdiypkb.png

10-11-2021_8-10-40_PM-uttu0ch5.png

10-11-2021_8-10-50_PM-3jioqn1m.png