Faithful Cartographer Achievement Locations in The Long Dark [SPOILERS] - Updated w/ Bleak Inlet

Admin

I heard back directly from Hinterland Support. They confirmed that the crashed plane icon is important in Mountain Town. I subsequently sketched it. Nothing unlocked. They also pointed out (this was after I sent them screenshots of all my maps) that my Mysterious Signal Fire in Hushed River Valley was in the wrong location (although this is obviously not my fault; mine was a little northwest of the location in the image). They attached an image of where the fire should be, but I went there this morning (and remembered that I had already been there and sketched the area) and there was nothing. The zoomed in map is my screenshot, and you can see that there is nothing there at all aside from the rope climbing rock. Suffice to say that this latest communication did not change anything for me, or really offer any helpful new information. So I hope the next update fixes this issue as well.

Mysterious Signal Fire - Hushed River Valley.png

IMG_0115.jpg

5 hours ago, Cellar_Attic said:

......They also pointed out (this was after I sent them screenshots of all my maps) that my Mysterious Signal Fire in Hushed River Valley was in the wrong location (although this is obviously not my fault; mine was a little northwest of the location in the image). They attached an image of where the fire should be, but I went there this morning (and remembered that I had already been there and sketched the area) and there was nothing. .....

That's disappointing to hear.....I'd be curious to see the maps from people that have the achievement to see if they too had the upper spawn location for the signal fire.  My signal fire spawned to the north as well, but I am possibly a lifetime away from getting to the point where I have the achievement, and thus won't be able to confirm if yours is a "glitch".

For that support person to say "your fire is in the wrong spot" is just not accurate.

4 hours ago, DirtyMadcap said:

That's disappointing to hear.....I'd be curious to see the maps from people that have the achievement to see if they too had the upper spawn location for the signal fire.  My signal fire spawned to the north as well, but I am possibly a lifetime away from getting to the point where I have the achievement, and thus won't be able to confirm if yours is a "glitch".

For that support person to say "your fire is in the wrong spot" is just not accurate.

Ya, I was taken aback by it. I mean, I found the signal fire where I Found the signal fire, you know? I distinctly remember doing it too because I was lucky to find a moose satchel in that same location and I was of course stoked.

I'm now in the process of gaining access to the save game files through my PC, since The Long Dark is a Windows Play Anywhere title. For whatever reason, I can't find the files in the user data, nor can I even locate a Hinterland folder. It's bizarre and maddening. Aaargh!

On the plus side, I'm going into another survival playthrough for the first 25 days without killing an animal achievement. I only have a few left. I might just try to speed run the map locations and see if this unlocks. I don't know what else to do.

My spawnlocation of the Mysterious Signal Fire is the southern point, so i can't compare your map with mine... I'm going to check my maps AGAIN with the steamlink tomorrow, i'll report my results.

After checking this guide I'll answer the mail from Hinterland and report them my results. 

@Cellar_Attic Interesting to hear, because my steam folder of TLD has its last change date from 02/05/20. So i think all the data is saved directly on a server and not on your hard drive.

Hopefully the next update is coming soon..

13 hours ago, mrxy2013 said:

My spawnlocation of the Mysterious Signal Fire is the southern point, so i can't compare your map with mine... I'm going to check my maps AGAIN with the steamlink tomorrow, i'll report my results.

After checking this guide I'll answer the mail from Hinterland and report them my results. 

@Cellar_Attic Interesting to hear, because my steam folder of TLD has its last change date from 02/05/20. So i think all the data is saved directly on a server and not on your hard drive.

Hopefully the next update is coming soon..

I was able to locat the save files last night. They were clustered together under Packages. So I sent them off to my Hinterland contact and am now awaiting a response. They're on PST in British Columbia, and I'm on EST, so I'll need to wait a bit into today for any kind of response. A part of me is hoping they'll just send me some sort of file that unlocks the achievement. After this one, I just need to survive for 500 days (I'm on day 427 with my main sandbox) and complete the challenges.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I got the F.C. Achievement ages ago so maybe things have changed since then, but here's my map of that area.

1246852302_screen_(-520)_49391165-80f4-4796-b529-bd0db2f721c9.thumb.png.3cafeaa99ca1502aa8958208c10bd198.png

Yeah, your signal fire spawned at the southern location.  I wonder if it was originally a static spawn, and the FC achievement was coded to look for that spot, and then not updated when made dynamic.  Maybe someone with the achievement has a northern fire and will see this to shut down that idea.

I'm happy to report that - at long last - I have resolved this issue and earned the achievement. Turns out the problem had nothing to do with the signal fire in Hushed River Valley. Looking through my game files, the Hinterland support person informed me that the one location missing was the Community Hall icon in Pleasant Valley (which overlaps with the Thomson's Crossing location name). I marched over there immediately, stood right in front and mapped it. Apparently this is the only way to get it to actually show up on the map. 

Also, this did not increase my location count, so the hunch that this achievement isn't so much about the locations discovered number as about revealing key locations on your in-game map is probably correct. Notably, the Community Hall is not listed as essential on the Admin's list for Pleasant Valley. 

Wow. I am quite happy to finally have this done. A little joy amid the pandemic! Happy hunting, folks!

• Upvote 3

I think the main reason why it's not on the admin list is because the list is still outdated regarding Pleasant Valley. It's still says Rural Crossroads, not Thomsons Crossing. It makes sense that the icon is important as it is a major icon. If they'd update that I think this would help other people.

Plus the one location I mapped in TWM which isn't in the list. I still think that regarding the location triggers it's not important to have everyone in the list but to have the amount of what's in the list. I was missing one location trigger in the list from Hushed River Valley when I got the achievement and like I said I mapped one additional location trigger in TWM, Andre's Peak. I think that's why I got the achievement one location trigger earlier.

@Laika Ivanova @Cellar_Attic ....congrats Cellar!

I'm wondering if you guys are looking at old information regarding requirements.  Rural Crossing/Thompson's, Andre's Peak, and Community Hall are all listed in the OP of this thread.  I suppose it's possible they've done some ninja-editing, but alas.

I look forward to getting this achievement and joining the ranks of the accomplished.

14 minutes ago, DirtyMadcap said:

@Laika Ivanova @Cellar_Attic ....congrats Cellar!

I'm wondering if you guys are looking at old information regarding requirements.  Rural Crossing/Thompson's, Andre's Peak, and Community Hall are all listed in the OP of this thread.  I suppose it's possible they've done some ninja-editing, but alas.

I look forward to getting this achievement and joining the ranks of the accomplished.

I used the information in this thread and in the steam support link the Hinterland Support person e-mailed me. I think the bigger issue here is that some of the triggers are far too narrow. I had previously mapped the area around Thompson's Crossing, so why didn't it include the Community Hall? I assumed I had everything there because I mapped the town as soon as I arrived. Same goes for the Abandoned Mine and Carter Dam. 

In any case, I'm very relieved to be done with this achievement. I've got 20 days to go to 500 and then it's just the challenges left.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Cellar_Attic said:

one location missing was the Community Hall icon in Pleasant Valley (which overlaps with the Thomson's Crossing location name). I marched over there immediately, stood right in front and mapped it. Apparently this is the only way to get it to actually show up on the map. 

Guys, that was my missing part as well. THANKS @Cellar_Attic for sharing!!! And thanks all of you for your help!

I will make another post with every map and location (zoomed out), but i didn't mark every spot, so pretty much the whole map is black ^^ Hope this will help, but please check with the steamlist (especially for caves!). You don't need bear caves.

The steamlist was updated after my second message to Hinterland, but the Rural Crossroad Location isn't changed yet. ONLY the list counts, if you have e.g. more transition zones than listed in any region it's fine - you only need the stuff listed.

I think they added the Community Hall Icon with the last update from the list, because i copied the list to my wordsheet and there was no Community Hall listed.

By the way, the PV coal-mine Icon can be small, but it has to show in the zoomed-in map.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't gotten the achievement, but I have all of the points marked.  So I'm off to go and map at least once in each region.  MIght as well make some more arrow heads while I'm at it.  pfftttt I had really hoped to never see DP again.

Does anyone know if we need to rehit all of the points in PV that got changed?  My map updated with the names but....

Edited by Jolan

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, Cellar_Attic said:

They also pointed out (this was after I sent them screenshots of all my maps) that my Mysterious Signal Fire in Hushed River Valley was in the wrong location (although this is obviously not my fault; mine was a little northwest of the location in the image). 

I've had southern Fire location as same as your screenshot

Hi, Finally I've got this achievement on Stalker. I've drawn it twice, firstly only main ponts to get this achievement, but secondly I drew every location. It takes me ~100 game days or ~ 3 hours for every location. Its hard but I've got almost all steam achievements during this survival (only one left for 500 days). 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, Jolan said:

Does anyone know if we need to rehit all of the points in PV that got changed?  My map updated with the names but....

I think we need to rewrite it because some of them are changed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, my problem with the Faitful Cartographer Trophy is: I cant Map some location trigger like,

Mountain Town
Location Trigger - Spruce Falls Bridge
Location Trigger - Paradise Meadows Farm
Location Trigger - Crashed Plane
Location Trigger - Cave (North)

Hushed River Valley

Location Trigger - Landslide

Location Trigger - Many Falls Vista

Bleak Inlet

Location Trigger - Last Resort Cannery
Location Trigger - Fallen Lighthouse
Location Trigger - Echo One Radio Tower

Maybe I have to map it in a special place?

I´m playing on PS4

Any Tips?

Reposting from a different thread, I am having the exact same issue that Fifty is -- it appears that this patch, location triggers don't appear in places where there is also an icon. I say this patch, because I have locations from before the current patch with both icon and location trigger - but newly mapped locations post-patch, they simply don't appear.

Now, this is either a bug related to the new mapping mechanics, or Hinterland consolidated the icon and trigger locations into just the icon. But I doubt it's the latter, because there are still many places that still have both. And also, Hinterland would surely put that in the patch notes.

I'd appreciate any and all help, but right now, I simply think location triggers are broken.

Playing on console (Xbox1S), and I have every icon and location trigger done from the list, and all maps are no more than a week or two in-game days since last updated, yet still no achievement given.

Did the Fearless Navigator update make changes to that list? Or is the new mapping abilities messing with the achievement being awarded? I did notice after the update that a couple locations "re-posted" on my maps as I was walking around, so now they are written over the original on the map.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:06 PM, Khaki said:

Reposting from a different thread, I am having the exact same issue that Fifty is -- it appears that this patch, location triggers don't appear in places where there is also an icon. I say this patch, because I have locations from before the current patch with both icon and location trigger - but newly mapped locations post-patch, they simply don't appear.

Now, this is either a bug related to the new mapping mechanics, or Hinterland consolidated the icon and trigger locations into just the icon. But I doubt it's the latter, because there are still many places that still have both. And also, Hinterland would surely put that in the patch notes.

I'd appreciate any and all help, but right now, I simply think location triggers are broken.

I actually emailed them about this and it is indeed intended. "Clearly you have an eye for detail. With the addition of a Faithful Cartographer checklist and our mapping updates, we also decided to remove the location trigger text from locations with duplicate names. This just cleans up the map a bit, and you can still view the location name by mousing over the associated icon."

My problem is now that I started Faithful Cartographer before the update and was mapping both location triggers and icons. Then the update came and with it a checklist for 'surveyed locations' (you can find under Journal -> Collections). I now have 194 out of 191 locations and no achievement.... Emailed support but haven't heard back yet.

15 minutes ago, älg said:

I actually emailed them about this and it is indeed intended. "Clearly you have an eye for detail. With the addition of a Faithful Cartographer checklist and our mapping updates, we also decided to remove the location trigger text from locations with duplicate names. This just cleans up the map a bit, and you can still view the location name by mousing over the associated icon."

My problem is now that I started Faithful Cartographer before the update and was mapping both location triggers and icons. Then the update came and with it a checklist for 'surveyed locations' (you can find under Journal -> Collections). I now have 194 out of 191 locations and no achievement.... Emailed support but haven't heard back yet.

That is ... concerning. I have over 200 locations mapped. Out of like 191 possible lol. It might be impossible to complete it on old saves, then.

One last thing I haven't tried is going to every region and mapping them once, ones that I completed before the update.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:38 AM, älg said:

I've tried the going to every region and mapping again thing but that didn't solve it. Hinterland messaged me back and said it's a bug and they're aware of and working on it.

Good to know. I had also ran around and updated all to no avail. I'll just save that sandbox until they get it patched, and have a go at some more challenges for now.