Faithful Cartographer Achievement Locations in The Long Dark [SPOILERS] - Updated w/ Bleak Inlet

Admin

53 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

a couple of points, don't get too hung up on location numbers

To piggyback on @Valuable Hunting Knife's good advice, I'll just add this:

Folks only need to map the locations that are on the list in the first post of this thread.  If folks read the Admin's original post and follow those requirements, then the achievement should unlock...  If that does not happen, then I would recommend folks report it on the Support Portal.  - just first be sure you did actually follow the instructions and map the locations listed in the original post.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Thanks! At least i don't loose my current safegame and with that all the mapping :) 

The only thing thats different in my game is the coal-mine icon in PV (i guess nearly everyone has this bug) AND the icon Last Resort Cannery and Workshop in BI. Last Resort Cannery is shown, but no Workshop. Are there two icons on the exact same spot? I have to check this tomorrow and use a lot of charcoal around the workshop, maybe the achievement pops up :) 

9 hours ago, mrxy2013 said:

Thanks! At least i don't loose my current safegame and with that all the mapping :) 

The only thing thats different in my game is the coal-mine icon in PV (i guess nearly everyone has this bug) AND the icon Last Resort Cannery and Workshop in BI. Last Resort Cannery is shown, but no Workshop. Are there two icons on the exact same spot? I have to check this tomorrow and use a lot of charcoal around the workshop, maybe the achievement pops up :) 

I had a bit of trouble with both of those- last resort was the final location I mapped before the achievement popped up!  my suggestion would be to go to the PV mine with at least a dozen charcoals, and just try mapping facing different ways, standing on any raised areas or down in any little dips, and it will eventually click.

With the cannery, you should be fine if you either stand on the edge of the pier by the main cannery buildings, or take the overhead route to the workshop itself.  if that doesn't work, try being on the ice directly underneath it.

• good luck! 🧭

As far as I can tell, I'm missing one icon listed in the above list by the admin of Hinterland. I just got the tower icon in Bleak Inlet, and now I need the one for the cannery. One thing I noticed is that as I mapped the Carter Dam icon (which I did yesterday) in Mystery Lake and then the radio tower in Bleak Inlet my location number did not go up. We'll see with the cannery. This is all super annoying, especially since apparently there was an issue for about 48 hours with Xbox One achievements not unlocking because of a serve crash. C'mon Hinterland, give us some good news on this! Some sort of patch or workaround or retroactive unlock hotfix. 

I have mapped all icons and location triggers. I am 100% of this, cross-checking my in-game maps with the list provided by the admin and the list in the steam thread here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/2549465882922508359/

I even managed to unlock the icon for the Abandoned Mine in Pleasant Valley. Use this image for the exact spot I was standing when I used the charcoal. I double-checked this, so I really hope it works for you all.

Finally, I increased my locations up to 284. I found a Secret Mountain Path, Deer Blind, and Cave in Bleak Inlet. None of these are listed as official locations, but they all increased my in-game tracker. I don't know what else to do. I'm in contact with Hinterland about this. This is so maddening.

IMG_0035.jpg

7 hours ago, Cellar_Attic said:

. . . I have mapped all icons and location triggers.

Finally, I increased my locations up to 284.  . . .

I have 285 locations in my journal for Voyager game, and that doesn't include the icon for new cave by the river in PV.  I didn't have a problem mapping the Abandoned Mine icon in PV.

I have just noticed that my Bleak Inlet map doesn't have the Bear Cave icon,  in that game, although I have mapped it in another game,

Edited by peteloud

7 hours ago, peteloud said:

I have 285 locations in my journal for Voyager game, and that doesn't include the icon for new cave by the river in PV.  I didn't have a problem mapping the Abandoned Mine icon in PV.

I have just noticed that my Bleak Inlet map doesn't have the Bear Cave icon,  in that game, although I have mapped it in another game,

So did you get the achievement, or? 

@Cellar_Attic Doesn't work for me :/ I've used about 30 charcoal, but there's no icon (i can see an "icon", but i have to zoom in, it's not like the cave connection to winding river or the transition to TM).

Can you describe the locations you've found? If i search for deer blind in the official wiki, there's no result... Are they needed for the achievement?

@peteloud Congrats for achievement! It would be a pleasure to see your maps of every region :)

@all 

I've found a way to get the cannery-icon in BI: You have to stay in front of the fence (not as far away as in the screenshot) outside the whole area, worked for me. 

Another thing in BI: Is the coast mountain road a location trigger? I've walked along the street and mapped every few meters, but there's no nametag...

So the ONLY thing i miss is the mine in PV. Or locations i don't know that they even exist ^^ 

20200319215921_1.jpg

20200319215928_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, mrxy2013 said:

@Cellar_Attic

@peteloud Congrats for achievement! It would be a pleasure to see your maps of every region :)

I would happily show you my maps but it is quite a hassle producing a single map from the zoomed in sections.  If there is a particular area you need let me know.  I am now making a special trip to BI to map that Bear Cave, after that I shall have another try at mapping the cave by the river in PV.

@peteloud It should be enough to make a screenshot of the zoomed-out map (like my screenshot of BI above). You can see the icons and the locations-triggers.

I'm not sure if caves count for the achievement. 

Like i mentioned above, the coal-mine icon in PV is a big problem for me, as well as the coast mountain road in BI. 

Hinterland should bring an official guide, of a "statement" for what is needed..

1 hour ago, mrxy2013 said:

@peteloud It should be enough to make a screenshot of the zoomed-out map (like my screenshot of BI above). You can see the icons and the locations-triggers.

I'm not sure if caves count for the achievement.

When I tried to map everything it was on a straight Voyager game Ver 1.35 I wasn't bothered about the Achievement award, I just wanted a complete map.  I have subsequently mapped added regions and changes.  It might be that the Abandoned Coal Mine in PV was easier to map in Ver 1.35.  This might also account for my difficulty mapping the new cave by the river in PV. 

Here is the coast road in BI that I am heading for now.

250239881_screen_(32-1)_694c25f7-32f3-4ebb-a107-12782231315c.thumb.png.555ef5b4d431c88fdcd8f17d7b810cde.png

I have also mapped most in a straight Stalker game, but I am less bothered about completeness in that.  Surely it is easy in customised Pilgrim game.

Here's my mapped Abandoned Coal Mine in PV.

215105593_screen_(32-1)_ef6551b5-b6d0-47dc-b060-6866127d0e48.thumb.png.f5184e6cc1f32329323eae93b567c8fe.png

The top bit of this map was difficult to map.

33779940_screen_(32-1)_85123f79-2af6-48e0-b22b-2057fd12f1ce.thumb.png.2ca496e2642757ad0e834aa8c3a01090.png

I wish that is was possible to see a list of the locations visited in the jornal.  That would a be great help for people after the Faithful Cartographer Achievement

Edited by peteloud

I wish that is was possible to see a list of the locations visited in the jornal.  That would a be great help for people after the Faithful Cartographer Achievement

This is a great idea!!

Hinterland should bei able to make this possible.

To your BI map: I didn't mean the highway, but the curvy section in the red circle. Do you have some nametag within that section? The map linked on the wiki (https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Bleak_Inlet) says there should be a nametag.

PV: Forgot the cave in the bottom left corner, now i have 287 locations (i know, locations doesn't matter after what i read). And for reference my coal-mine "icon", which won't become an icon :D 

Please don't blame me for not mapping every detail, it thats's necessary to get the achievement, i will do .-.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have just mapped that bear cave in BI.  It was a long way to go just to map a cave.

Here is my map of the central road bit of BI.

606608439_screen_(-22-1)_826e6ba0-8230-4610-be65-39988ea2c04e.thumb.png.5c108ab0ba6ba81f9509b85065e73ea5.png

I wish I knew what the other two locations are.  I suspect that there could be other icons that I have missed.  I haven't compared my maps with anyone else's maps so I don't know what I've missed.

I still have that PV river cave to do.  Previously I tried several times using the charcoal, but the cave just wouldn't appear on the map.

I think there are not many maps you can compare, because nearly nobody has unlocked this achievement. That's why i think your idea is the best solution to know, what icons / locations / caves are missing in which area.

I have to check every cave in all regions to be sure that these are not the missing parts.

While in BI I mapped a few other minor bits, at Cannery Works' Residences and another vehicle.  I feel that there should be a trailer icon for The Washed Out Trailers.  I tried mapping on an earlier visit but it didn't appear on the map.  I was about to head back out of the region but I should have another go at mapping those damned trailers, otherwise I might have to make a special visit back here just to try again. . . . . Oh!, to my surprise the washed out trailers did map. 

478794238_screen_(-62130-117)_bbd2a738-ea4a-4535-91f8-2c130138bb79.thumb.png.4098cedc151429780c2b11b632960eba.png

It is just as well that this is a Voyager game. Had it been a Stalker game my short trip from Cannery Residences to the Washed Out Trailers I have been savaged by timberwolves twice, had to fight my way through a blizzard, clothes would have been ruined and my bandages, etc. etc.  decimated.

Why is it, I wonder, that some obvious items map easily sometimes but at other times do not?  Why is the viewpoint so critical? 

Edited by peteloud

No need to bother with the maps. I'm not sure that locations not listed by the admin count, which I suppose is part of the trouble. It seems to me the easiest way to have created this achievement was to have a set number of locations required, or a completion percentage required. Instead, there seems to be some sort of idiosyncratic in-game tracker we can't see that needs to be "ticked" for the achievement to unlock.

I've been in communication with Hinterland about this. Because I'm playing on the Xbox One, they've asked that I submit all my maps to them. I'm not sure what they're hoping to accomplish, but I'm happy to oblige. I will do so as soon as I'm able. For whatever reason, I'm having trouble on Xbox Live sharing the captures, and they won't upload to my OneDrive either. I might just resort to the ole iPhone snap.

I'm at a point now where I'm considering just finishing my 500 days achievement (I'm at 310 now) and running through all the maps again. I REALLY don't want to do that, but it seems like the only choice I have. I dunno.

5 minutes ago, Cellar_Attic said:

No need to bother with the maps.  . . .

You have missed one of the points that I was making.  I am not bothered about badges, achievemnets and whatever else there are, I leave that sort of stuff to Boy Scots and people in the military.  My interest has been seeing, and mapping,  all of the countryside.  It is personal challenge, a challenge which I think is far more interesting than getting a badge in Steam.

If the badge is the important thing, just have a Pilgrim game customised to the easiest settings and it will be a walk over. There might even be a mod which enables you to get all of the locations without leaving the office in M ystery lake.

I would not describe me as a achievment "hunter", but i started a suvival game to survive as long as i can. After 100 days i thought it is possible to survive 500 days. And 400 more days is much... very much. So i started mapping and exploring every area. 

But that this achievement is such a brutality to get, shocked me a little bit. Because of this, i created an account in this forum to communicate with you, ask my questions and problems and get and give some tips.

I think i will write Hinterland a message with that problem, because i'm not the only person struggling with this.

16 hours ago, peteloud said:

You have missed one of the points that I was making.  I am not bothered about badges, achievemnets and whatever else there are, I leave that sort of stuff to Boy Scots and people in the military.  My interest has been seeing, and mapping,  all of the countryside.  It is personal challenge, a challenge which I think is far more interesting than getting a badge in Steam.

If the badge is the important thing, just have a Pilgrim game customised to the easiest settings and it will be a walk over. There might even be a mod which enables you to get all of the locations without leaving the office in M ystery lake.

That's all well and good. I care about the gaming experience AND achievements. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I've dumped 150 hours into this game, and I'd like to have that rewarded through the achievements as distinct from the actual gameplay. I don't want to have to play the game all over again. I'm on a Xbox One, and I'd like to move on to another game once this one is complete, as I feel I've 100% got my money's worth. I'm quite pleased with this game and would recommend it to anyone. I just want my achievement too.

I've written a personal message to Hinterland and explained the situation and the suggestions from @peteloud to make a list in the journal. Main point was of course the PV coal-mine icon.

As I started the game today, i got a message, that Hinterland is working at home since the beginning of march, so I don't know, when I can expect an answer. I'll keep you updated :) 

FYI, i'm playing the steam version of TLD.

3 hours ago, Cellar_Attic said:

. . . I've dumped 150 hours into this game, and I'd like to have that rewarded through the achievements as distinct from the actual gameplay. . . .

I think that you, and the great majority of players over-value the achievements.  For someone to complete the Faithful Cartographer Achievement in Stalker is very difficult and something to be respected.  For someone to complete the Faithful Cartographer Achievement in Pilgrim is a much, much lesser achievement.  And if someone completes the achievement using mods to give themselves whatever resources they want and to restore equipment to 100% anytime they want, the achievement is contemptible.

I am not entirely against such achievement targets, but we need a system that differentiates between the achieving a set of tasks at a difficult level and the same set of tasks being achieved at an easy level.

" . . I've dumped 150 hours into this game, . . ."

That might seem a big commitment from you, but there are many players who have dumped considerably more hours than that.  I have probably played approaching 3,000 hours, but I have no doubt that many players exceed that.  TLD is one of those games that can give challenges for ever.

14 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I think that you, and the great majority of players over-value the achievements.  For someone to complete the Faithful Cartographer Achievement in Stalker is very difficult and something to be respected.  For someone to complete the Faithful Cartographer Achievement in Pilgrim is a much, much lesser achievement.  And if someone completes the achievement using mods to give themselves whatever resources they want and to restore equipment to 100% anytime they want, the achievement is contemptible.

I am not entirely against such achievement targets, but we need a system that differentiates between the achieving a set of tasks at a difficult level and the same set of tasks being achieved at an easy level.

" . . I've dumped 150 hours into this game, . . ."

That might seem a big commitment from you, but there are many players who have dumped considerably more hours than that.  I have probably played approaching 3,000 hours, but I have no doubt that many players exceed that.  TLD is one of those games that can give challenges for ever.

I'm not sure what your point is with any of this. This thread is specifically oriented around the Faithful Cartographer achievement. It's in the name of the thread. I don't care about what the standards of yourself or other players relative to time invested, level of challenge and/or commitment, or days survived, etc. So if you feel like you need to establish that you're a superior player in a game designed around an individual experience, go right ahead. We all marvel at your ability to triumph over self-imposed limitations... in a game.

So yes, I value this achievement, hence my presence in this very thread and my efforts to garner more information and provide it when I think it's useful. If my efforts to do this and earn this achievement - which is again the very purpose of this particular thread - bother you, kindly keep it to yourself. Play this game however you want.

1 hour ago, mrxy2013 said:

I've written a personal message to Hinterland and explained the situation and the suggestions from @peteloud to make a list in the journal. Main point was of course the PV coal-mine icon.

As I started the game today, i got a message, that Hinterland is working at home since the beginning of march, so I don't know, when I can expect an answer. I'll keep you updated :) 

FYI, i'm playing the steam version of TLD.

I've been in e-mail communication from someone at Hinterland for the last few days. They seem to respond within 24 hours. So someone is at least manning the support system from somewhere. I too will relay what they tell me.