Cannery Workers Residence, my new favorite base

piddy3825

Having completely traversed the new map  and living long enough to tell the tale, I am really liking the Cannery Workers Residence as my base camp. 

Once I checked it out thoroughly, I found it packed with so many amenities, that I now believe it's probably the single best base camp in the game.  You may not agree with me, but consider these features.  First off, I have not encountered a single wolf anywhere near the area.   Yeah, you can hear them howling on occasion, but out of sight is out of danger.  There is a bear cave with an active bear just a little ways away, but he is easily dispatched and when he isn't around, you got plenty of time to gather firewood.    Fuel for heating and cooking is relatively abundant.  The adjacent burned out cabin  is a replenishing source of 4-6 lumps of coal every few days.  Same goes for sticks and branches which replenish as well every few days.  There's a little trail that leads up to the landslide area that is fairly secluded from wildlife where you can harvest both fir and cedar limbs to further stockpile your firewood supply.

In terms of food supply, there is a rabbit den near the bridge just down from the landslide which is a good place to set up snares.  There are some wolves far enough away on the other side of the bridge, but you can usually see before they can see you.  Far enough away for you to avoid them in most cases.    I usually only see one wolf patrolling the ice, but sometimes there are two, but never more than that.  Closer to home though, is the fishing shack right outside the cabin.  I've laid in a lifetime supply of fishing tackle and spend a few hours fishing every few days.  Side benefit to all that fish is I wont be running out of lamp oil anytime soon either!  

Probably my single most favorite thing about the place is the fact that I can get up on the roof of cabin and clean the chimney!

screen_5c5dd048-88d9-4048-89fb-234e55bf7975_hi.thumb.png.f4684a5cca40ee4d0e50fe88d2af9c01.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

It's pretty solid, but is lacking one critical element: A workbench.  The closest one is the cannery.  That said though, since the ammo crafting station is right next to it, you can methodically pacify the cannery and then just replace that ammo after you use the workbench.

That outdoor six-burner stove at the collapsed lighthouse is hands down the most efficient cooking station in the entire game.  You get the advantage of 6 burners, AND the advantage of outdoor fires lasting longer.

• Upvote 2

I like it too because of the scenery, that it's secluded and that HL put some effort into making it different than the standard houses. Thanks for the description of nearby Resources, it sounds like a decent place to collect bearskin and rabbit fur, might give it a few days of camping next time I'm in BI. Any timberwolves between the rope below tower and this hut? 

31 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

A TW pack covers the span between the rope and the long bridge road. usually 3 to 4. A large boulder just past the burnt down cottage gives good vantage point above the road to survey the open span and you can easily spot them most the time.

You can also take the long way, by crossing the Raven Crossing bridge to the east, then swing north to the little isolated cabin near the Lower Raven Falls, then head west and straight to the rope.  That path has been clear of wolves from what I've seen.  Of course you have wolves up by the lookout to contend with, but at least it avoids the majority of trouble.

• Upvote 1

Been trying to figure out where the best place to set up camp, don't think I can argue with this placement.....Was going to do the trailers on the northern end of the island, but its still a blank spot in my head......too many unknowns right now, don't wanna chance it till I know whats out there. 

Yeah, your right, @UpUpAway95, a workbench would be the cat's meow.   But like @ajb1978 pointed out, may as well make dual use of a trip to the cannery.  Thanks for mentioning that 6 burner stove by the way.  Cook a whole deer over there and prep liters of water in just a few hours, got that little sleep pad by the stove to for convenience.

@wizard03, I did find out one thing about the interior today, however that really disappointed me.  The gun rack over the fireplace won't store the rifle  on it, but you can break it down.  I just got back from an over nighter to the cannery just to retrieve the rifle so I could hang the damn thing up in my new digs.  And No!  Display denied!  Definitely disappointing although not a deal breaker.  I laid the rifle on the mantle for now...

14 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

That's a bug.  It also affects the gun racks at Paradise Meadows, so I kinda think it's every gun rack in the game.

I think you're right, it's a bug affecting every gun rack in the game.  I've tried to mount rifles on the one in the Trapper's Cabin to no avail, as well as the one in the Hunting Lodge... oh, and the one over Grey Mother's fireplace, too.  No luck.

Edited by UpUpAway95

20 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I did find out one thing about the interior today, however that really disappointed me.  The gun rack over the fireplace won't store the rifle  on it, but you can break it down.  I just got back from an over nighter to the cannery just to retrieve the rifle so I could hang the damn thing up in my new digs.  And No!  Display denied!  Definitely disappointing although not a deal breaker.  I laid the rifle on the mantle for now...

You can put guns in places? o.O I allways put em in the cupboard......might be a PC thing tho, Im on xbox. :P 

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

You can put guns in places? o.O I allways put em in the cupboard......might be a PC thing tho, Im on xbox. :P 

Surprise, but yes you can, although there apparently is currently a bug that prevents their use.   You can find "shelves" in a few different locations, most of the fire lookout towers for example, the farmhouse in Milton has one that can hold two rifles as compared to just the single display in the Cannery Cabin.  They are few and between... I really wish they had one in the Mountaineer's Lodge on TWM.  If that were the case, I'd probably never leave that map... 

My favourite recent shelter is the community hall in Thompsons Crossing. 

Lots of storage, able to find bed at night, a 200 kilo wardrobe and plenty of other containers. When it's time to craft it is just a trip to the Barn or Farmstead. 

Bleak inlet has a really nice outdoor shelter in the cannery with lockers, fire barrel, and a strange Half-Life 2/Gmod vibe to it. 

I just wish you could occupy the Harbinger vessel...