Salted meat/jerky

duran1137

1 hour ago, duran1137 said:

I love playing the sandbox game for hours , perhaps on the coastal map you could boil salt water dry retrieved from a fishing hole  and (craft) salt for making  jerky  meat and fish giving long term preservation and storage possibilities.

I just write off cooking level 3 as using salt to preserve meats since it effectively eliminates meat spoiling. 

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

I just write off cooking level 3 as using salt to preserve meats since it effectively eliminates meat spoiling. 

"Frantically works on cooking skill"
I reached about 80% cooking lvl2 once, never noticed if meat lasted longer tho. Im going to have to burn a couple more logs this next run.

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

"Frantically works on cooking skill"
I reached about 80% cooking lvl2 once, never noticed if meat lasted longer tho. Im going to have to burn a couple more logs this next run.

oops. I meant level 5.... It makes it so any food you eat except raw meat doesnt give you poisoning or parasites. Even granola bars and sardines 

22 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

oops. I meant level 5.... It makes it so any food you eat except raw meat doesnt give you poisoning or parasites. Even granola bars and sardines 

O.O

I didn't even think there was a way to get around parasites, I thought it was a permanent thing and I should completely avoid bear and wolf meat.

45 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

O.O

I didn't even think there was a way to get around parasites, I thought it was a permanent thing and I should completely avoid bear and wolf meat.

Yeah, parasites are the worst. 

After level 5, bear becomes the most efficient meat/bullet ratio source of food, unless moose have changed that. 

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Yeah, parasites are the worst. 

After level 5, bear becomes the most efficient meat/bullet ratio source of food, unless moose have changed that. 

Moose is super decent loot, but I couldn't carry it all. XD So many times Iv tried to drag a moose out after quartering it, just to be ransacked by wolves....One time I knocked one down out by the barn in PV, I quartered it up just a blizzard broke open {typical PV weather}, almost dead from being frozen, I just ran to the barn, slept the night in the truck, woke up, hit some coffee, literally dropped everything, even my clothing! Ran out, grabbed the meat sacks {a wolf stole one just before I got there} and was still so far over weight that I could not run back. Sadly wolfy came back for seconds, and I didn't have fire starter or a weapon. x.x

Salted meat is one thing. Jerky is another.

Having made my own jerky before, the amount of time it takes to make jerky is significant. I use my kitchen oven, placing the jerky on cookie sheets. Depending on the fat content of the meat, it can take anywhere between 3 to 6 hours per batch.

Translate that into the game, and we're looking at minimum triple the preparation/"cooking" time of the meat you're looking to jerk. Not to mention that there isn't a proper apparatus in game to do it... except maybe the fire barrel, since it has a grill. But even so, you don't jerk meat over an open flame, but rather over a low, consistent heat. Embers would be ideal, but good luck getting embers to last multiple hours.

Besides, even with the meat from big game like bear and moose, you should never run into a problem where the meat decays faster than you can eat it.

6 hours ago, odizzido said:

Maybe an advantage of jerky could be it doesn't have a smell. That would probably make it at least worth making on occasion.

I like this idea, would make trips across the map much more doable.

"Got my wolf coat, deer pants, bearskin bedroll, 30lb of jerky, and 50gallon of water.....lets roll"

On 1/4/2020 at 11:32 PM, duran1137 said:

I love playing the sandbox game for hours , perhaps on the coastal map you could boil salt water dry retrieved from a fishing hole  and (craft) salt for making  jerky  meat and fish giving long term preservation and storage possibilities.

I would think this has been suggested many times before. Considering the multitude of maps we have now, i could see this addition making sense. A special oven which would give another map a unique purpose. Meaning there should be a singular place where you can make jerky from cooked meat.