KateH

Visiting Canada!

I'm going to Canada! This is awesome, as I live in the UK where everything is horrible.

However, until a few years ago I thought of Canada as a place of maple syrup and horseback cops in red coats. Since then I have played a video game which has informed me that Canada is in fact a perpetually frozen, wind blasted snowscape in which survival is only possible by stoning rabbits and snarling packs of hungry wolves are your constant and only companion.

British Columbia in November?

I don't have an expedition parka, nor any insulated boots. I am very afraid.

I'm sure you know there are much better sources for tourism info than a video game.  The average mean temperature in Vancouver during November is +6C.  While colder than, say, London, that's still well above freezing.  If you get precipitation, it will most likely be rain (unless you go to places at higher elevations).  You likely won't need an expedition parka... just bring along a good winter coat that is waterproof unless you're planning to do some serious outdoors camping and climbing.  The mean low temperature in Whistler , BC (home of the ski resort which hosted the Alpine events during the 2010 Olympics) in November is around -2C.

Its not like that dude. Iv never been to Canada, but can already tell you that while they may be well known for maple syrup, they are just like all of us all over the world. They like tasty food, a good time, and while the weather might be just a bit colder from time to time, still have seasons of heat, wet, cold, and dry. 👍

Its just a little different, Canadian style! 

As a canadian myself, I can tell you that the one skill you MUST master before coming here is riding polar bears. You will require this to get to your ice fishing hut.

• Like 1

Make sure you grab a few Ribena.  I hear that in the U.K. they changed the recipe. 

e322e6af241c8d779af6185fe225cecc_ra,w403,h403_pa,w403,h403.jpeg

Still sweet nectar in my part of Canada.

2 hours ago, odizzido said:

As a canadian myself, I can tell you that the one skill you MUST master before coming here is riding polar bears. You will require this to get to your ice fishing hut.

Got it.

very-warmly-dressed-woman-low-res.jpg

4 hours ago, odizzido said:

A part of my mind just exploded. XD

Posted (edited)

Beautiful British Columbia, where even the bears loot the plastic containers!

This shot was taken Northern Vancouver Island,  Cape Scott, an active logging area. Someone left the crate behind and bears gonna do what bears do. 

This is a Black Bear, common to Vancouver Island. Black Bears are generally shy and not to be confused with the Brown/Grizzly/Kodiak variety. Brown Bears are much more aggressive - I would not take a photo of a Brown Bear at this distance, instead backing off very slowly.

Enjoy your visit, layer up, and a good waterproof outer layer is recommended for November :)

20180918_135050.thumb.jpg.bf488298ad12eab54f355fc0bb1514e0.jpg

Edited by killDCat
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ice Hole said:

Make sure you grab a few Ribena.  I hear that in the U.K. they changed the recipe. 

e322e6af241c8d779af6185fe225cecc_ra,w403,h403_pa,w403,h403.jpeg

Still sweet nectar in my part of Canada.

The only time I went to Canada, I noticed a prevalence of grape flavored things. Everything from drinks to donuts to candy bars with grape jelly inside of them. What gives? I was very confused.

Aside from that, absolutely beautiful country, very friendly people, and the weather's not too bad if you keep to the coast. Did a road trip from Seattle to Anchorage.

Posted (edited)

Not sure about all the grape flavours.  Any chance this was wine country?

Ribena is made from the finest blackberry's lovingly picked at the optimal moment of ripeness.

BlackBerries.jpg

They do resemble a bunch of grapes, as if picked by giants.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 1