Ammunition crafting and misfiring bullets

Kayosiv

So I went over to bleak inlet and, armed to the teeth, proceeded to fight my way past a few dozen timberwolves and into the cannery workshop with the ammunition crafting bench.

Using my multitude of (now empty) shells, I crafted tons of new rifle shells. I then fired them all and crafted them again.

This resulted in me firing at least 5 and as many as 10+ of each rifle bullet ranging from 20% to 80% quality.

What I observed during all of this firing of low quality ammunition was absolutely 0 misfires. This left me very confused.

How do misfires work? How do you notice if they occur or not? Has anyone had anything misfire since the update? I expected at least a few failed shots when my bullet quality was in the 20-40% range, but all of my bullets, which was over 50 shots fired, didn't misfire, which seems impossible or at least extremely unlikely. I'm wondering what I'm missing.

If you watch the Errant Pilgrim release video, at 3:14 you can see an example of the rifle misfiring.  It kind of goes "pthink" instead of "BOOM" and doesn't actually inflict any damage.  Did you hear anything that may have fit that bill?  Were you aiming at animals or just shooting the snow?  

I was actually just shooting inside the building at the walls. Each bullet left a bullet hole, and also was loud enough to make my in-game ears ring.

As a side note, I had no idea such wonderful effects occurred from the bullets in this game, considering I rarely fire for any reason other than to hunt animals. Shooting at metal surfaces occasionally ricochets the bullet into other objects. Shooting wood causes wood splinters to explode from the impact point. There SO much unnecessary but cool stuff with the rifle. But still, seemingly no bullet misfires.

Edited by Kayosiv

Seems you like you were lucky and beat the probability of misfiring, or perhaps you can't misfire outside of a wildlife encounter.. The very first 20% revolver round I used misfired and like ajb wrote there was a different sound effect. The wolf I was aiming at wasn't discouraged whatsoever but took a big bite of me.

I hate to get into the specifics of ammunition malfunctions but in TLD the "misfire" seems to actually be a "squib load". A true misfire is when the primer fails to ignite and the round simply doesnt fire. These are scary because the could also be hangfires where the round goes off seconds later. 

A squib load is when for whatever reason the round doesn't fire with the correct velocity and intensity as it should. Squib loads sometimes don't even exit the barrel and you've got a real problem on your hands if you dont clear it and fire again... I hope you have a rifle cleaning kit. 

These seem to fit the TLD 'misfire' a lot closer. 

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

I hate to get into the specifics of ammunition malfunctions but in TLD the "misfire" seems to actually be a "squib load". A true misfire is when the primer fails to ignite and the round simply doesnt fire. These are scary because the could also be hangfires where the round goes off seconds later. 

A squib load is when for whatever reason the round doesn't fire with the correct velocity and intensity as it should. Squib loads sometimes don't even exit the barrel and you've got a real problem on your hands if you dont clear it and fire again... I hope you have a rifle cleaning kit. 

These seem to fit the TLD 'misfire' a lot closer. 

Sure, but "misfire" is something even people who don;t shoot, have never shot, in real life are more likely to understand when they see the word in the game. "Squib load"  may not be "generic" enough to make it easily understandable to people who don't shoot. And may be more difficult to translate into some languages, for baked in localizations in the game. Some of us who do shoot may know it simply as a "squib", which gives a very different definition if you Google just the word "squib". We aren't wizard-born, a firework, a funny or satirical piece of short writing, or a small special effects or military explosive device.

"Misfire" is simply a more understandable word for most people. :) 

39 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Squib loads sometimes don't even exit the barrel and you've got a real problem on your hands if you dont clear it and fire again...

When I saw the broken rifle in Ep 3 I was kind of hoping they would introduce the possibility of a catastrophic rifle failure due to a squib load.  Because yeah...that's a thing that can happen if you fire without clearing the blockage.  And imagine how freaky that would be the first time it happens.  You line up a shot, pull the trigger..thunk.  Chamber another round, pull the trigger, KABLAM your rifle literally explodes in your face, instantly ruined, and you take damage on top of that.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

When I saw the broken rifle in Ep 3 I was kind of hoping they would introduce the possibility of a catastrophic rifle failure due to a squib load.  Because yeah...that's a thing that can happen if you fire without clearing the blockage.  And imagine how freaky that would be the first time it happens.  You line up a shot, pull the trigger..thunk.  Chamber another round, pull the trigger, KABLAM your rifle literally explodes in your face, instantly ruined, and you take damage on top of that.

I would actually love having that in the game. Bleeding injury + torn clothing (gloves, coat, shirt- perhaps). And... it would give you a greater reason to go to BI, and use the milling machine to repair you damaged rifle or revolver.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Misfire" is simply a more understandable word for most people. :) 

And I totally agree, a misfire is still technically correct because the rifle didn't fire correctly in either case. 

It would be cool to add multiple types of ammunition malfunctions and their consequences but at the end of the day I'm perfectly fine with keeping it simple. 

But what puzzles me is why didn't they just add the normal misfire? Too similar to a jam? Or maybe they didn't want to let you get the lead back for balance reasons. 

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I hate to get into the specifics of ammunition malfunctions but in TLD the "misfire" seems to actually be a "squib load". A true misfire is when the primer fails to ignite and the round simply doesnt fire. These are scary because the could also be hangfires where the round goes off seconds later. A squib load is when for whatever reason the round doesn't fire with the correct velocity and intensity as it should. Squib loads sometimes don't even exit the barrel and you've got a real problem on your hands if you dont clear it and fire again... I hope you have a rifle cleaning kit. These seem to fit the TLD 'misfire' a lot closer. 

From the sound and effect of the trailer they posted, Id agree 100%...Iv had bad and old ammo do this to me IRL...A bad measurement of powder, or wet powder is usually the culprit. 

54 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

And I totally agree, a misfire is still technically correct because the rifle didn't fire correctly in either case. 

It would be cool to add multiple types of ammunition malfunctions and their consequences but at the end of the day I'm perfectly fine with keeping it simple. 

But what puzzles me is why didn't they just add the normal misfire? Too similar to a jam? Or maybe they didn't want to let you get the lead back for balance reasons. 

Have to agree here, probably just too similar and kinda looks sloppy on their part.