Culling the Predator Population at the Broken Railroad

GothSkunk

I'm here on my quest to capture all the buffer memories in the game.

ALL of them.

Once I'm done with Broken Railroad, I'll just have Orca Gas Station and Milton Credit Union, then I'll be done.

Assuming I don't die. Which would be terrible. I'm almost 600 days in. 

Just tinkered with a new Interloper game and decided to jump into BR after spawning in FM.  Obviously usually almost go to ML but wanted to change it up.   FM didn't have a hammer so half hoping at BR.   BR is kind of like the Connector transition zone in some ways.  And I knew the loot overall wasn't going to be great, but wow was it awful, even more than I thought.  Then all the preds.  Scratching by.   Just reinforces why it always gets left out.  Edge of map, not much loot, not much coal, no fishing, and there are other forges.

22 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

This, after I had just killed the bear that roams around on the other side of the river in the Broken Railroad zone:

Wolvesbane.thumb.jpg.ea104061427a209f6d34d024e360e7c0.jpg

Sheesh, this is a dangerous zone! :wolf::wolf::wolf:

Heh they need to add wolf pants / mitts and hats to use up all those hides ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

That area is nuts, I just finished extracting all of the lootable resources out of there on a custom game. I think i spent as many revolver rounds in there as I got FROM there .. luckily the whole reason was to stock up on reloading supplies for the day I eventually run out so not a complete net 0 return. I did get an extra rifle out of the trip, left it at the entrance to the case to Bleak Inlet along with all the scrap lead!

On 1/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, dbmurph22 said:

Just tinkered with a new Interloper game and decided to jump into BR after spawning in FM.  Obviously usually almost go to ML but wanted to change it up.   FM didn't have a hammer so half hoping at BR.   BR is kind of like the Connector transition zone in some ways.  And I knew the loot overall wasn't going to be great, but wow was it awful, even more than I thought.  Then all the preds.  Scratching by.   Just reinforces why it always gets left out.  Edge of map, not much loot, not much coal, no fishing, and there are other forges.

Ahh yes, but the sweet stims! You can get 1 to 3 stims in BR between the Shed, the Lodge, and the Ravine. BR is a must visit region if you're playing Deadman mode. Very wolfy, though.

Edited by jhickie

Guest jeffpeng

See the upside of it: if you have enough arrows the MYard is one of the places in the game where you can maintain wellfed from eating wolves alone.

Guest jeffpeng

There is a 1 in 4 chance of a heavy hammer on the crafting bench near the lifted truck in the MYard, even on Loper. Loot Table 1.

If you don't want to employ Loot Tables to play, but you want an early hatchet/knife you can check these close-by locations:

For the FM forge: Broken Railroad MYard (1 in 4), Milton Farm (2 in 4), Milton Trailer near HRV cave (1 in 4), one of them will always be there.
Alternative route for the FM forge: ML Trapper's (1 in 4), ML Forestry Lookout (2 in 4), ML Carter Dam Workbench (1 in 4), one of them will always be there.

For the DP forge: CH in the car near the Log Sorting Area (1 in 4), CH at the Outdoor Workbench at the Fishing Camp (1 in 4), CH in the last fishing hut after the Fishing Camp towards the bridge (1 in 4), and if all fails there is a hammer in the Ravine in the Train (not in the basin, but "upstairs") (1 in 4). Again: one of them will always be there.

7 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

There is a 1 in 4 chance of a heavy hammer on the crafting bench near the lifted truck in the MYard, even on Loper. Loot Table 1.

If you don't want to employ Loot Tables to play, but you want an early hatchet/knife you can check these close-by locations:

Reveal hidden contents

For the FM forge: Broken Railroad MYard (1 in 4), Milton Farm (2 in 4), Milton Trailer near HRV cave (1 in 4), one of them will always be there.
Alternative route for the FM forge: ML Trapper's (1 in 4), ML Forestry Lookout (2 in 4), ML Carter Dam Workbench (1 in 4), one of them will always be there.

For the DP forge: CH in the car near the Log Sorting Area (1 in 4), CH at the Outdoor Workbench at the Fishing Camp (1 in 4), CH in the last fishing hut after the Fishing Camp towards the bridge (1 in 4), and if all fails there is a hammer in the Ravine in the Train (not in the basin, but "upstairs") (1 in 4). Again: one of them will always be there.

Wow. I had no idea. That's not very Loper-like though. I always thought that one of the defining characteristics of Loper was no tools, and certainly no hammer near a forge.

I've never used loot tables, but I do know a few combos in places like TWM as well as ML, just from repeated experience.

Still shocked.. hammer in a forge location. I trust you, since you've been around these parts for a while. Also, since I've never seen the loot tables, I must defer to those that have. I definitely would be pretty surprised if I found the hammer in the BR Shed though, and would have thought my game was bugged if not for this convo. 

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, jhickie said:

Wow. I had no idea. That's not very Loper-like though.

I'm pretty sure that's because the forge was added in later. The hammer has been there since I've started playing Loper, which is since sometime shortly after Rugged Sentinel came out.

5 hours ago, jhickie said:

I've never used loot tables, but I do know a few combos in places like TWM as well as ML, just from repeated experience.

I'm not using them to play, but I've seen them. I pretty much memorized all possible hammer and hacksaw locations, I guess I would have by now with or without loot tables. I still keep messing up bedrolls, tho :D