Do you miss it too?

manolitode

Do you miss the music of wintermute startup screen? It could be just me but I really, really miss the epic score that used to get me in adventure mood within seconds. The solitary piano elevated into a dramatic string score. Okay, the ep 3 tune is somewhat similar but just doesn't move me the same. If there was a button to activate the old music at game startup I'd be pressing it like I press the improvised hatchet in the wolfy's fur. 

Perhaps you forgot that you miss it as well? 

Edited by manolitodeespana
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 1

• manolitode changed the title to Do you miss it too?
On 12/30/2019 at 6:57 PM, MrWolf said:

I agree, that music really set the mood for the game.  I wish there was a way to turn it back on, too.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:53 AM, odium said:

yes i sure do, that music brings me back!

Perhaps there will be more soundtrack options in the future, though I doubt Hinterland will prioritize it. Til then, you can always get in the right mood by muting the ingame music and listen to this :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

I like both themes, but the old one.... is just the iconic The Long Dark theme. It's like they changed the Star Wars anthem. You can't do that :D 

Glad to hear the difference of opinion and enthusiasm for the two themes. There seems to be some decent covers of the original out there and this is my favorite so far. Mellow guitar with a great feel to it. 
EDIT: Embedded his awesome cover of crossroads elegy too, theme kinda growing on me now. 

• Upvote 2

The music in this game is amazing. It sets the tone for the game like no other I've played. I had to buy the soundtrack for EP1 & EP2, and as soon as the new soundtrack comes out for EP3, I will buy that too. That said, I am partial to the old intro song as well. Loved how the somber piano slowly marched into a frenzied, multiple instrument crescendo.

Awesome covers, @manolitodeespana, thanks for posting them! Nice find.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

@manolitodeespanaI wonder how he recorded the video for the first part of the Crossroads Elegy Theme. Never seen footage of strings like that. Also that guy ain't half bad. Pretty amazing.

I too would like to know what he does different in the 1st angle to make the strings wave like that. Two different tunings would be a solid guess but 1st take don't sound pegged down to make the strings looser so that's probably not the case. A wild guess is that he played the 1st part at a faster speed and slowmoed it. Perhaps there's a virtuoso guitarist among us who can explain, or it will remain a "Cannery shortcut". 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, manolitodeespana said:

I too would like to know what he does different in the 1st angle to make the strings wave like that. Two different tunings would be a solid guess but 1st take don't sound pegged down to make the strings looser so that's probably not the case. A wild guess is that he played the 1st part at a faster speed and slowmoed it. Perhaps there's a virtuoso guitarist among us who can explain, or it will remain a "Cannery shortcut". 

Hope this answers your question :) 

Increasing shutter speed and lowering frame rate can help make the strings clearer. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Hope this answers your question :) 

Increasing shutter speed and lowering frame rate can help make the strings clearer. 

It does. Thank you very much. :D