We have a mill....lets discuss

wizard03

8 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

As the title says, we now have a mill. Lets discuss what would be some good idea's on how to use it.....Im thinking 10 scrap for a Brand new factory knife?

Discussed in another thread, but I think it would make more sense to be able to use the Forge to craft a rough axe head and rough knife blade, then use the milling machine to refine them into a fine axe head and fine knife blade, then combine with fir firewood at a workbench into an actual Hatchet or Hunting Knife, like you can find in the game world.  Also, use the milling machine to refine Arrowheads into Broadhead Arrow Tips, which can be used to craft Broadhead Arrows that do more damage than a Simple Arrow.  This would give Interlopers some incentive to risk the cannery.

• Upvote 6

Arrowheads into Broadhead Arrow Tips, which can be used to craft Broadhead Arrows that do more damage than a Simple Arrow.  This would give Interlopers some incentive to risk the cannery.

I like the idea but aren't the arrows already broadheads? 

The milling machine is a fun idea. But repair could be done differently.

I repaired a small rifle once that was misfiring because the trigger had worn and wasn't catching. The trigger was just a piece of metal with a hole for a pin to pivot on and a few angles to catch where it needed to. No amount of cleaning would make that trigger work, it had to be replaced. 

Rifles and pistols in the game could break in a similar fashion and we'd have to craft replacement parts. Even generic ''Rifle Parts'' would be more realistic.

Besides firearms there's not much that a survivor needs a milling machine for... A camp stove comes to mind but you can make one with hand tools. Metal animal traps are typically forged and need spring steel in their construction. Lantern is hand tool repair since the metals thin.

You can mill engine and other vehicle parts but it's hard to tell the exact rules of the event and what engine types do and don't work and why.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dx421 said:

It's not specified, but since you're banging them out of scrap metal I would assume they're just "generic pointy metal thing" and not specifically broadhead tips.  Frankly I think exploding arrowheads crafted with gunpowder would be cool, but totally don't fit the theme or atmosphere.  Broadhead arrows do, and they would serve as a nice contrast vs. the "simple arrow" we can currently craft.  Simple arrow--gets the job done...sometimes.  Broadhead arrow--gets the job done...period.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Discussed in another thread, but I think it would make more sense to be able to use the Forge to craft a rough axe head and rough knife blade, then use the milling machine to refine them into a fine axe head and fine knife blade, then combine with fir firewood at a workbench into an actual Hatchet or Hunting Knife, like you can find in the game world.  Also, use the milling machine to refine Arrowheads into Broadhead Arrow Tips, which can be used to craft Broadhead Arrows that do more damage than a Simple Arrow.  This would give Interlopers some incentive to risk the cannery.

whoops, sorry. My brain was foggy last night {16 hours interloper, 4 hours stalker, all dead, then some PUBG cause Im a glutton for punishment.}

But this does sound good! Im for broadheads!

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

It's not specified, but since you're banging them out of scrap metal I would assume they're just "generic pointy metal thing" and not specifically broadhead tips.  Frankly I think exploding arrowheads crafted with gunpowder would be cool, but totally don't fit the theme or atmosphere.  Broadhead arrows do, and they would serve as a nice contrast vs. the "simple arrow" we can currently craft.  Simple arrow--gets the job done...sometimes.  Broadhead arrow--gets the job done...period.

I can get behind that reasoning :D

Maybe Hinterland can just call them ''Refined Arrowheads'' some of the ones I've seen sold IRL have sections cut out of them, not sure how that helps but the survivor could do that with a milling machine 👍

Edited by Dx421

23 hours ago, Dx421 said:

An arrow head is only two sharp edges, good for penetration, poor for causing damage. A broad head has more cutting edges, three-four edges. Not so good for penetration but good for damage. Lots of damage! Depending on the bow skill and power, typically arrowheads are good for novices, but broadheads are the best. Especially in the hands of a skilled archer. 

22 hours ago, Dx421 said:

The milling machine is a fun idea. But repair could be done differently.

I repaired a small rifle once that was misfiring because the trigger had worn and wasn't catching. The trigger was just a piece of metal with a hole for a pin to pivot on and a few angles to catch where it needed to. No amount of cleaning would make that trigger work, it had to be replaced. 

Rifles and pistols in the game could break in a similar fashion and we'd have to craft replacement parts. Even generic ''Rifle Parts'' would be more realistic.

Besides firearms there's not much that a survivor needs a milling machine for... A camp stove comes to mind but you can make one with hand tools. Metal animal traps are typically forged and need spring steel in their construction. Lantern is hand tool repair since the metals thin.

You can mill engine and other vehicle parts but it's hard to tell the exact rules of the event and what engine types do and don't work and why.

I can see the idea of a failed rifle and the need for replacement parts, but for simplistic reasons, the game just asks for scrap metal without reason. Maybe on interloper, they could offer some random spawn revolvers, or a permanent spawn revolver that is already ruined and must be milled to work correctly again. This way you wouldn't have to go into reasoning, but the players could imagine what may be wrong with it.

Honestly Im kind of with you on the creativity of a mill too. Its really hard to figure out what it would be useful for.....keeping in mind what your using, what would you be able to craft to survive with scrap metal and a mill???.....Maybe shell casings????? Best I got right now. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Maybe shell casings????? Best I got right now. 

You can use a milling machine on brass. 

'Neck turning' is a process that reduces neck thickness variations and allow the bullet to be release squarely into the rifling

https://blog.westernpowders.com/2016/05/when-accuracy-counts-part-two-neck-turning/

Pretty much making better ammo. It can be done with a milling machine, if you have jigs and rigs and some knowledge.

Making new casings would take whole chunks of metal and a lot of time. But it could be done. Not sure where we'd get the brass bars though :D

Edited by Dx421

12 minutes ago, Dx421 said:

Making new casings would take whole chunks of metal and a lot of time. But it could be done. Not sure where we'd get the brass bars though :D

Steel casing ammo is a thing, in fact a lot of guys like it cause its cheap. Now as for it being good and fully consistent, some will debate it. But it is a thing, and would not require a stretch of the imagination. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:51 AM, Dx421 said:

I can get behind that reasoning :D

Maybe Hinterland can just call them ''Refined Arrowheads'' some of the ones I've seen sold IRL have sections cut out of them, not sure how that helps but the survivor could do that with a milling machine 👍

The sections cut out reduce weight if I understand this correctly. This would help our survivor because the bow they're using isn't the strongest and you get double the blades for the same weight!

On 12/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, wizard03 said:

A broad head has more cutting edges, three-four edges. Not so good for penetration but good for damage. Lots of damage!

A flat cut is much easier to heal than a jagged hole, I could see the arrow produce bleeding much more effectively and at higher rates, maybe also with more definitive blood trails.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Did they give us hollow point bullets yet? If I found a mill  I'd be making something to drop game in its tracks. I see they have different ammo so I may have missed if they already gave us this.

I could go for making a sled, kind of like a moose sack but with runners. You know, for hauling back moose or bear meat or stocking up on some wood and hauling it to a nice stove. I guess I'd like a rotisserie so I could put a whole deer on at once and maybe quarters of moose and bear. Guess we could use some scrap barrels but I need to make or source longer pieces of metal for that rotisserie and yeah, I want it animated :)

Engraved spurs and a flashy belt buckle, so I can be the hip-shooting desperado of the north. 

I love the idea of combining the forge to make rough metal shapes and then using the mill to finish them into better tools. Maybe they can vary in quality depending on a milling skill perhaps. This would in fact give me every motivation to get there, so far the cannery is nice but kinda of a letdown in interloper, the zone is beautiful and it has every single big game target but I wish there was something more to do at the workshop, maybe milling screws to make home base repairs or to use as an component for more elaborate tools? Also, candlesticks(still need candles... :ph34r:) or buckles and awls for leather crafting would be nice, like making a reinforced rucksack with a metal pack frame would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Dan_ said:

Engraved spurs and a flashy belt buckle, so I can be the hip-shooting desperado of the north. 

I love the idea of combining the forge to make rough metal shapes and then using the mill to finish them into better tools. Maybe they can vary in quality depending on a milling skill perhaps. This would in fact give me every motivation to get there, so far the cannery is nice but kinda of a letdown in interloper, the zone is beautiful and it has every single big game target but I wish there was something more to do at the workshop, maybe milling screws to make home base repairs or to use as an component for more elaborate tools? Also, candlesticks(still need candles... :ph34r:) or buckles and awls for leather crafting would be nice, like making a reinforced rucksack with a metal pack frame would be awesome. 

I made mention of simple rivets, that with the heavy hammer, boom like that. 😎