Poll: wooden crates

wizard03

Wooden Crate items  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, as it says above, do you find stuff after breaking down wooden crates? I have found "some" stuff in crates, best example is the wooden crate closest to the doorway in the plane wreckage on top of Timber Wolf Mountain. It always seems to have a rope and scrap metal. Not really important to me as I also know of the rope in the cave on summit, rope in the makeshift cave below summit, and of course the cabin and scrap metal is a dime a dozen with the hacksaw. But is there anything someone found that was really awesome?

I don't have actual statistics but maybe 1 in every 100 crates or cardboard boxes has something hidden inside of it.  And it always seems to be a guaranteed spawn, so once you find it once, you know to just check that specific box every time you play.  It's never anything that's likely to make or break your run, but there are some goodies to be found.  Bleak Inlet has a handful of crates that reveal sardines if you break them open.  Other than that, it's kind of hit or miss.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I don't have actual statistics but maybe 1 in every 100 crates or cardboard boxes has something hidden inside of it.  And it always seems to be a guaranteed spawn, so once you find it once, you know to just check that specific box every time you play.  It's never anything that's likely to make or break your run, but there are some goodies to be found.  Bleak Inlet has a handful of crates that reveal sardines if you break them open.  Other than that, it's kind of hit or miss.

Or that one in the BR Maintenance Yard garage. 0-3 Dog Food. Rather rare for me to not get at least one, but a few times there has been nothing there. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, ajb1978 said:

Yeah, I noticed that one my one stalker run. Seems all of them was under 30% tho. Hooray stomach flu! 🤣

On 12/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, RegentRelic said:

It is only worth it if you know which ones. Such as the ones in the Spence homestead are essential to break down.

Have to give em a look over. Thanks for the heads up!

19 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Or that one in the BR Maintenance Yard garage. 0-3 Dog Food. Rather rare for me to not get at least one, but a few times there has been nothing there. 

Yeah, was worried about that. RNGesus can be a bit rude sometimes.

In the Broken Railroad Maintenance Shed, there is a plank ramp that leads up to 3 wooden crates.  The crate farthest from the ramp usually contains goodies - often an ear wrap or gauntlets, a firestriker, and/or a stim.  It's never come up empty for me... hence it is on my "must break" list.

2 hours ago, Makex said:

I once found myself in wooden crate, so yes there is sometimes usefull stuff :D

Not too sure if you can use a human in this game, although a pack mule would be VERY useful! XD

1 hour ago, manolitodeespana said:

I broke down all crates inside maintenance yard in broken railroad. I found an accelerant. Couldn't reach the top shelf ones though.

That seems to be the only thing that I would actually take with me....lightweight, nearly garneted instant fire, ok I got room for this.

Iv hit those crates so many times, Iv never gotten anything out of them. =/

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Not too sure if you can use a human in this game, although a pack mule would be VERY useful! XD

That seems to be the only thing that I would actually take with me....lightweight, nearly garneted instant fire, ok I got room for this.

Iv hit those crates so many times, Iv never gotten anything out of them. =/

Yeah that's about it in my exp but at least you get around 70-80 hours of fire midlevel or so, you don't have to use as many coal in the forge. I also find the crates at Spence's and TWM summit worth looting but also been lucky at times with the ones high up in lighthouse in DP.  

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

In the Broken Railroad Maintenance Shed, there is a plank ramp that leads up to 3 wooden crates.  The crate farthest from the ramp usually contains goodies - often an ear wrap or gauntlets, a firestriker, and/or a stim.  It's never come up empty for me... hence it is on my "must break" list.

I rarely have any luck with those crates, but won't hurt to give a try next time :)

There are several crates in the game that have guaranteed goodies in them. I always work them into my early game loot routine.

• BR Shed, as described previously by @ThePancakeLady. (2 crates, food and stim/gear)
  • FM Spence's, near the safe (dog food or accellerant)
  • TWM Hut, in the corner near the door (soda)
  • DP Hibernia, to the left after entering large downstairs room (canned food)
  • TWM Summit, plane (loot/clothes)

I'm sure there's some that I'm forgetting :coffee:

Edited by jhickie
remembered what was in the TWM Hut crate
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jhickie said:
  • TWM Hut, in the corner near the door (food, can't remember)
  • DP Hibernia, to the left after entering large downstairs room (canned food)

Didn't know about hibernia - thanks! Yes in the hut I believe there's usually 1 piece of food behind the small crate to the left of the bed.

5 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

I rarely have any luck with those crates, but won't hurt to give a try next time :)

I don't know why you'd have no luck with it.  It hasn't failed me yet and I've even seen Atheenon get loot from that crate during his recent As the Dead Sleep attempts.  Out of curiosity, I tested it this morning (new BR start); and here's a  screenshot showing my the loot:

2020-01-06_9-51-04_AM-zkujuppd.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't know why you'd have no luck with it.  It hasn't failed me yet and I've even seen Atheenon get loot from that crate during his recent As the Dead Sleep attempts.  Out of curiosity, I tested it this morning (new BR start); and here's a  screenshot showing my the loot:

2020-01-06_9-51-04_AM-zkujuppd.png

The stim in that box is one of the 8-10 guaranteed stims in the game. I haven't seen confirmation on any stims in BI, and although I found one in the new challenge, I can't remember where or verify if it's in survival mode. While the other 7 stims are always in the same spot (with some local variation), there can be 1 to 3 stims in BR. Knowing these stim locations is crucial to survival in As The Dead Sleep and Deadman mode.

That MRE looks delicious.. been a while since I've seen one of those!

I think there's only specific ones. Kind of odd if you asked me for someone to make a completely sealed crate but nothing is inside it. The crates in Broken Railroad Maintenance. And the ones in Muskeg Spence Homestead of course. In Hibernia Processing there's two crates you destroy to get to a backpack. Timberwolf Mountain summit the crates on the broke plane tail has some things once a mountaineer rope.

Edited by desertedone

4 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

An MRE? stim?? ear mitts?????

I have never seen any of those there before. o.o

This is with Pilgrim loot settings.  Interloper loot settings are generally less fruitful on average... Do MRE's even ever spawn in Loper?  Last interloper time for me was a whetstone and a sewing kit.  Nevertheless,  the crate always has contained some relatively good loot for me.  It has never come up empty.  I have had the Pork & Beens one come up empty though.

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

This is with Pilgrim loot settings.  Interloper loot settings are generally less fruitful on average... Do MRE's even ever spawn in Loper?  Last interloper time for me was a whetstone and a sewing kit.  Nevertheless,  the crate always has contained some relatively good loot for me.  It has never come up empty.  I have had the Pork & Beens one come up empty though.

Ah, ok....well even on stalker, never had that happen. I was always on the lookout for something/anything....Think Iv hit those crates 3 or 4 times, nadda….Might throw down a pilgrim run soon, my last loper just died. x.x

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Oh well, I don't recall getting earwraps from that crater, nor looting MRE on loper so far. Will be going to BR in a few days though, if those crates are supposed to be a given success I'll definitely try my luck one more time. 

Edited by manolitodeespana
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Yep, no MREs on Loper. I miss peanut butter and energy bars too. That box will just have the stim on Loper, although sometimes it's not there. If it's not there, it can be in one of the other two spots, or both of them. On a lucky RNG spawn, you will  get all 3 in BR. I have come up empty on the nearby food crate before as well, but I would say it's there like 75% of the time for me.

BR Ravine stim is the fun one to get. That might be the longest rope climb in the whole game.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jhickie said:

BR Ravine stim is the fun one to get. That might be the longest rope climb in the whole game.

Iv had to climb down it twice now without the rope, each time Iv been very lucky to survive the "accidents" whenever I drop wrong, but with only just inch's of HP left, it would not take much to kill me off. But yeah, its got to be one of the hardest to climb up if you ever have to.

Broke down the maintenance shed yesterday and the loot was quite good. 2 items in the mentioned crate up the ramp (stim & sewing kit) and another 3 in the other crates, seems like pretty good ratio to me. Plus you can use all the reclaimed wood to make the foundation for a forging session even with just 4-5 coals in the building (or in the map rather…).

Edited by manolitodeespana
auto-correct

On 1/6/2020 at 5:50 PM, wizard03 said:

Ah, ok....well even on stalker, never had that happen. I was always on the lookout for something/anything....Think Iv hit those crates 3 or 4 times, nadda….Might throw down a pilgrim run soon, my last loper just died. x.x

Just as proof that I've not been lying, here are ear muffs (and gauntlets) found on stalker loot settings this morning (i.e. Custom - Used Stalker template and turned passive animals on because I don't do wolves):

2020-01-11_3-41-11_AM-mtfef1zj.png