Makex

First time Interloper problems

Recommended Posts

 @jeffpeng You and your wall of text :) 

English isn't my first language and i think it takes the whole 2020 for me to process all of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

AFAIK the hammer and pry bar are functionally equal when it comes to fighting furries. But it’s lighter. And I Never ran out of pry bars before cracking all and every locker and trunk. So I am happy with the pry bar early. Late .... sure. Late the hammer is the superior tool. 

It's just empirically, but I think that the hammer makes the wolf flee way faster than any other tools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan_ said:

For maple, check four spots at ML: Under the train bridge on the other side of the river bank there's usually a maple spawn, if that's not there, go across the dam to winding river and check the overlook with a deer carcass, directly in front of the warm cave at winding river, usually saplings there. If there are no maple here either, you can check near signal hill at PV or retreat back to trappers and check on the valley between trapper's and unnamed pond and if there's no maple here either you can go past the cabin by unnamed pont and check the hills behind the cabin for another maple spawn. There still another maple spawn point at the clearcut opposite the trailers but that's a really wolf prone area, so avoid that one.

I will check maple for those location. I think i'l start to panic some point of time if i don't find some maple soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

On the topic of quartering, sorry if someone already mentioned this and I missed it somewhere, but you don't have to quarter all at once.  If you're quartering a bear or moose and the weather turns, press the escape key or the equivalent controller button.  The next time you start quartering, it will pick up where you left off.  I recently did that with a bear in bad weather.  The bear died near its cave in Desolation Point.  I quartered for a quarter of the time, back to the cave to warm up, back out again to do more.  It took a few times doing that without taking much freezing damage, then I just had to bring the quartered bags into the cave and harvest without losing temp.

 

I didn't know you can do stop and go with quartering process. But carcass will still be gone after some time if you didn't manage to quarter it before that. So you have 2-3 in-game days to quarter it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Makex said:

 @jeffpeng You and your wall of text :) 

English isn't my first language and i think it takes the whole 2020 for me to process all of that.

I’m not an English native either. Consider it practice. 🤪

 

28 minutes ago, Makex said:

I didn't know you can do stop and go with quartering process. But carcass will still be gone after some time if you didn't manage to quarter it before that. So you have 2-3 in-game days to quarter it?

Sounds about right. 

 

59 minutes ago, LkP said:

It's just empirically, but I think that the hammer makes the wolf flee way faster than any other tools

Maybe it’s worth making Tests about that. Because according to my experience both make furries freeze off pretty quick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Makex said:

I made rabbitskin hat because i thought i need it and i had the skins to do it.

It's not bad thing. Especially if you have the skins anyways. Only takes a few hours to craft. And you can wear a rabbit hat and a toque.

 Feels like you need fire every time you do something outdoors

Generally yes. Try to time your activities around sunny weather so you can use the mag lens instead of a match. However, matches aren't *that* rare and the first skins is something that's worth burning some matches for. In case you haven't noticed it already: Interloper is all about stocks and coal. Always pick up sticks and you should easily have enough fuel for shorter fires here and there

Also, the warmest time of the day is from late afternoon or evening on. With good clothing there are some days in the first month where you can be only one arrow down or even completely warm outside. Same in the end game with a bear skin coat. At least in the warm regions like ML. One arrow down gives you a long time outside without freezing even on Interloper.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Makex said:

Yeah Forlorn it is and i tried to take ALL the coal from mines but i didn't have the freight train to do it :) so 7 pieces was what i took with me. I had scrap metal (24 pieces) before i even left mystery lake. Maple is the problem right now. I can't find any. Ravine had none. It was one big blizzard from start to finish. One close call with wolf. Phew... i still somehow made it through.

Yeah. Pleasant valley is one of the places I had tried to set up shop multiple times. I loved the big open area to plan where to go, the available deer spawns nearby, rabbit spawns, {they did not provide enough calories alone tho}, it had a workbench to craft, multiple cabinets to store stuff to my OCD's content....I tried so hard to run it as my retirement home, but between cabin fever and the constant blizzards, you will die sooner or later. =/

Speaking of which, made a big mistake on a good solid starter run on interloper.....try not to get greedy while forging. I got a couple knives, ten arrow heads, and a hatchet on desolation point. {had some maples and deer skins curing at the gas staition in coastal highway while doing so} But I was worried about food on the way back to the stone church where I set up shop. So I snagged a deer with the flare gun.....seems every wolf in the whole area kept spawning right ontop of me cause of my extreamly high scent and I couldn't run due to being exhausted.

Due to this, I highly recommend trying to keep hunting activities separated from other activities so you can be fully rested and haul ass to safety after getting a kill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2020 at 12:15 AM, Dan_ said:

The improvised knife is not particularly good at struggle defence

@Loonsloon reports that knife condition is crucial to struggle defence with a knife. So he crafts 2 improvised knives. One for day-to-day use, and one dedicated only to struggles, maintained at 100% condition.

Edited by JAFO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Guess what guys. It was the most longest 35 days in this game. Guy met his makers at Forlorn waters. I think i rushed bit too much for going to forge that dude couldn't handle it. My question is if you go through ice do you drown immediately or was this combination of low healt and go through ice?

My previous record was 1.5 days so this was significant improvement and i learned a lot. So new start and with much better understanding what to do and what not to.

Edited by Makex
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you fall through the ice you take a condition hit + you're immediately freezing (if you weren't already!) + you have wet clothes. It's not fun but it's generally survivable if you're not in too bad of shape otherwise. I fell through on my last trip to FM and it was ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Makex said:

Guess what guys. It was the most longest 35 days in this game. Guy met his makers at Forlorn waters. I think i rushed bit too much for going to forge that dude couldn't handle it. My question is if you go through ice do you drown immediately or was this combination of low healt and go through ice?

My previous record was 1.5 days so this was significant improvement and i learned a lot. So new start and with much better understanding what to do and what not to.

Great job looks like you are starting to get the hang of it. You are kind of at the cusp at that point in the game where you are just starting on the major crafting / forging always that huge hurdle of getting enough food to get by usually makes or breaks your run. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JAFO said:

@Loonsloon reports that knife condition is crucial to struggle defence with a knife. So he crafts 2 improvised knives. One for day-to-day use, and one dedicated only to struggles, maintained at 100% condition.

Can confirm, knife sucks at defense….Just made two, walking back with some deer meat, wolfie attack, went through the ENTIRE animation of a wolf mauling me, no lucky stab on the wolf and the defense meter never got above 10% while I frantically mashed the button....Have had much better luck with the hammer.

11 hours ago, Makex said:

Guess what guys. It was the most longest 35 days in this game. Guy met his makers at Forlorn waters. I think i rushed bit too much for going to forge that dude couldn't handle it. My question is if you go through ice do you drown immediately or was this combination of low healt and go through ice?

My previous record was 1.5 days so this was significant improvement and i learned a lot. So new start and with much better understanding what to do and what not to.

That's a good starter run! Impressive.....You will not drown going through the ice, BUT! all your clothing will instantly get wet, your character will instantly loose all their temperature and go into hypothermia, and you will loose a small amount of health.....if you was already low, then yeah. You will die.

Keep in mind that much of forelone muskeg does not have many places to find shelter....its a big open flat, so whatever you do, try to be on full health before going here….Even if you gotta camp outa at the trappers cabin, get that health bar all the way up first.....A couple nights after drinking the night time tea should do the trick, that stuff is amazing! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Makex said:

Guess what guys. It was the most longest 35 days in this game. Guy met his makers at Forlorn waters. I think i rushed bit too much for going to forge that dude couldn't handle it. My question is if you go through ice do you drown immediately or was this combination of low healt and go through ice?

My previous record was 1.5 days so this was significant improvement and i learned a lot. So new start and with much better understanding what to do and what not to.

Well done crushing your old record. What route do you take to the forge coming from ML? I used to go left and keep to the mountainside but ended up in bad shape many times. After I changed route to go left at the the derailed red wagons, across the ice through the small islands  everything went smoother and I got loads of cattail and tea ingredients on the way as a bonus. Will be a little tricky the first time so choose a day with clear sight.  

Edited by manolitodeespana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 6:42 AM, JAFO said:

@Loonsloon reports that knife condition is crucial to struggle defence with a knife. 

That's not the issue. The knife is good at making things bleed out, but it doesn't do much upfront damage. You notice that even on lower difficulties, but it's acceptable there. On Interloper a knife fight just takes too long

The hammer does even less damage, but it ends a fight quickly. That's much more important for not taking lethal damage

Edited by Serenity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ahatch said:

Great job looks like you are starting to get the hang of it. You are kind of at the cusp at that point in the game where you are just starting on the major crafting / forging always that huge hurdle of getting enough food to get by usually makes or breaks your run. 

Thanks! It was constant struggle and i think it was because of slow start. Starting point was at Forlorn and i headed straight to the ML and pretty much stayed there 21 days. Forging really takes some planning and it can mess your run if it wasn't planned good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Can confirm, knife sucks at defense….Just made two, walking back with some deer meat, wolfie attack, went through the ENTIRE animation of a wolf mauling me, no lucky stab on the wolf and the defense meter never got above 10% while I frantically mashed the button....Have had much better luck with the hammer.

But hammer is so heavy. Like the name suggests.

12 hours ago, wizard03 said:

That's a good starter run! Impressive.....You will not drown going through the ice, BUT! all your clothing will instantly get wet, your character will instantly loose all their temperature and go into hypothermia, and you will loose a small amount of health.....if you was already low, then yeah. You will die.

Keep in mind that much of forelone muskeg does not have many places to find shelter....its a big open flat, so whatever you do, try to be on full health before going here….Even if you gotta camp outa at the trappers cabin, get that health bar all the way up first.....A couple nights after drinking the night time tea should do the trick, that stuff is amazing! 

Thank you. i think healt bar was in red already when it happened :D my thoughs was in that nearby cave and i took the wrong turn.

Yeah there isn't any place to go inside. There is that one wolf nearby the forge and i was thinking could it attack middle of forging session? That tea really is something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

Well done crushing your old record. What route do you take to the forge coming from ML? I used to go left and keep to the mountainside but ended up in bad shape many times. After I changed route to go left at the the derailed red wagons, across the ice through the small islands  everything went smoother and I got loads of cattail and tea ingredients on the way as a bonus. Will be a little tricky the first time so choose a day with clear sight.  

Thanks! Route was left after entrering Forlorn. It has been my route from beginning when heading to forge. And always thought it was the safest to take.

I continued my previous pilgrim save because i felt like needing some therapy session after that interloper run and i will go check the route you suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Makex said:

But hammer is so heavy. Like the name suggests.

Thank you. i think healt bar was in red already when it happened :D my thoughs was in that nearby cave and i took the wrong turn.

Yeah there isn't any place to go inside. There is that one wolf nearby the forge and i was thinking could it attack middle of forging session? That tea really is something else.

If the wolf comes near, scamper up onto the loft with the bed. I have just went through the area and noticed he would chase you, but if you scampered up ontop of the loft, he will not be able to get to you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My route in Forlorn is also to Poachers, across ice, to Spence's.  Wolf contact is very rare until Spence's unless you are careless and hit one of them on their outer route portions.  I know it's a route that many take.  You go from Poachers to next Big Rock (you start in a perpendicular direction from Poachers with a slight bent in the direction to ML)  to Hunters Blind to next Big Rock and then to the outbuildings of Spence's.   There's actually also very little weak ice - just follow the fingers of the next little "island."  The hillside route just out of the ML area has more goodies I think, but it's more wolfy.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're ever caught out in FM in the fog/blizzard, but you really need to get to the forge.  Follow the tracks all the way to BR side  get up onto the ledge to you're left over the fallen tree and then its as straight/simple route to SFH. Even though it's a longer route you can't get lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 2:42 AM, JAFO said:

@Loonsloon reports that knife condition is crucial to struggle defence with a knife. So he crafts 2 improvised knives. One for day-to-day use, and one dedicated only to struggles, maintained at 100% condition.

Interesting data point, does the game default to the better condition weapon if you've got two of them in your inventory? Never had a struggle when carrying multiples of the same tool. 

I recall someone did extensive struggle testing(can't find the thread now) and found that the best weapon by far is a regular hatchet, then it's a toss up between the hammer and the improvised hatchet(hatchet won by a small margin, but had more variance in damage taken), then the hunting knife and If I recall correctly both the improvised knife and prybar performed poorly. Every single item was repaired to 100% condition at the time of the struggle. 

From my experience struggling in loper ( I rarely get into struggles ) both the hammer and the improvised hatchet are really good, the improvised knife just takes too long to fill up the struggle bar, much like the prybar. Still, if you've got decent protective clothing and is well rested any weapon will do in a pinch. There seems to be a huge randomness in struggle outcome as well, there were times I could get a wolf off me in a couple seconds and barely took damage, other times the wolf would take half my health bar in no time at all when using the same weapon. It's really hard to gauge weapon efficacy due to this, but my experience with the improvised knife has many lost saves in the past, so I just don't use it. 

@manolitodeespana Great run buddy! Sucks that FM took your character, plunging into the ice cold water instantly freezes up your clothing and takes a little chunk of your condition as well ( it used to give instant hypothermia, it was a death sentence back then haha! ). FM is really good for seeing the wildlife from afar, but you need to know your way around the weak ice maze. Personally I'll hit Poachers Camp ( when coming from ML ) then proceed through the ice to the High Blind and then towards Spence, you just need some practice at the region and it's a breeze to navigate. Also, you can kinda guess where the ice is weak, it has a deep blue tinge that's hard to miss, the more solid ice is usually white'ish and some places you can safely sprint through the weak ice, just make sure you're not exceeding five seconds when the ice starts creaking and you're good, always aim for a nearby snowbank or fallen tree. 

You did really well, this was a pretty solid run. Forging is usually the tipping point in a loper run, you're on the verge of conquering this difficulty, keep on going!

Edited by Dan_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, Makex said:

Thanks! Route was left after entrering Forlorn. It has been my route from beginning when heading to forge. And always thought it was the safest to take.

I continued my previous pilgrim save because i felt like needing some therapy session after that interloper run and i will go check the route you suggested.

Good luck :) I agree that the mountainside route is safer til you're familiar with the small islands-path, but the latter barely has wolves as mentioned above, just an occasional bear but you'll see her from a mile in good weather. Don't head ut on the island path in heavy fog or if you suspect an incoming blizzard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 3:52 AM, Dan_ said:

does the game default to the better condition weapon if you've got two of them in your inventory?

Yes.. best condition tool is always selected, for whatever use, not just weapons. Really annoying when you don't have a can opener and want to preserve your knife condition, and it won't even give you the option to use something else instead. Having to drop your knife (and/or other tools) just to open a can is a nuisance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First day and this is what i find after few hours of searching. The moose had 35 and some kg of meat in it, 54% condition. Location was HRW, near second signal fire.

Question is: How would you handle the situation?

The Long Dark_20200102175207.jpg

Edited by Makex
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be really tempted to take that hide for a satchel.  However it depends whether you have enough fuel for a 1hr/really warm fire

 That's a great early game find for Interloper. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now