The fastest you've climbed TWM?

manolitode

I've been challening myself to climb TWM in the shortest possible time on interloper. Some of will probably say it's not worth the effort on loper but for me the 7 flares are essential for surviving surprise wildlife attacks when speedharvesting PV, HRV and TWM before the epic freeze hits the fan. I was happy with climbing the peak in 48 hours on loper, starting in PV. Looting the plane in PV makes it almost too easy nowadays but without a bedroll the peak can still be annoying when the weather won't let you keep your fires burning next to the snow shelter. 

What is your record time from spawn til reaching the peak? (And in what difficulty?)

Edited by manolitodeespana

Record?

I've been on the summit on day 1 many times. Shortest run was around 8 hrs with a Voyageur start in the TWM region back when I was still trying to get feats and achievements. I spent 2 months on the summit in a snow shelter to get the Pacifist and Silent Hunter achievements. It's probably possible to do it with less if you get a stim or coffee.

On Loper I've only done the summit once, but that was around day 100.

12 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

I've been challening myself to climb TWM in the shortest possible time on interloper. Some of will probably say it's not worth the effort on loper but for me the 7 flares are essential for surviving surprise wildlife attacks when speedharvesting PV, HRV and TWM before the epic freeze hits the fan. I was happy with climbing the peak in 48 hours on loper, starting in PV. Looting the plane in PV makes it almost too easy nowadays but without a bedroll the peak can still be annoying when the weather won't let you keep your fires burning next to the snow shelter. 

What is your record time from spawn til reaching the peak? (And in what difficulty?)

On  loper difficulty, Iv managed it in about 1 day....Got lucky, spawned near the cabin, hauled butt there, got lucky again and found the hacksaw, got the matchs, threw down a fire, took a nap, then started 'WALKING". Took a brief stop at the first supply cache and grabbed some food n coffee. Walked across tree bridge, snagged a quick snack and some coffee at the little cave, then hit the first rope, started snagging a bunch of stick along the way to the second supply cache and avoided the wolfy. Got a couple cloths, but not enough. Carried on to the second rope and got into the cave. Snagged all wood/coal for a 12 hour fire, and got to the cave below summit. Threw down a fire and had to salvage a sock and a hat for extra cloth to build the snow shelter. It was super tricky to put it close enough to the fire to keep me warm, but finally hit that sweet spot to put it down and not freeze to death. Hit the fire for 12 hours of burn time, took a nap in shelter, woke up and brewed some more coffee, and the summit was right there. Total time spent, I think was 22 hours.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wizard03 said:

On  loper difficulty, Iv managed it in about 1 day....Got lucky, spawned near the cabin, hauled butt there, got lucky again and found the hacksaw, got the matchs, threw down a fire, took a nap, then started 'WALKING". Took a brief stop at the first supply cache and grabbed some food n coffee. Walked across tree bridge, snagged a quick snack and some coffee at the little cave, then hit the first rope, started snagging a bunch of stick along the way to the second supply cache and avoided the wolfy. Got a couple cloths, but not enough. Carried on to the second rope and got into the cave. Snagged all wood/coal for a 12 hour fire, and got to the cave below summit. Threw down a fire and had to salvage a sock and a hat for extra cloth to build the snow shelter. It was super tricky to put it close enough to the fire to keep me warm, but finally hit that sweet spot to put it down and not freeze to death. Hit the fire for 12 hours of burn time, took a nap in shelter, woke up and brewed some more coffee, and the summit was right there. Total time spent, I think was 22 hours.

Well done with under 24 hrs :) I'll try the tree bridge path when spawning in TWM and see if I can make it closer to 24 hrs, just for sports (though my hacksaw tend to break at the summit without a toolbox). So far I've made 1st snow shelter in "cave dome" after ravine, 2nd the same as you in the open cave just below summit. Though it seems a little risky to avoid the supply cache in ravine since it provides so much cloth needed for shelter, but who am I to say no to an opportunity to get naked in the wild.

Edited by manolitodeespana

21 hours ago, Dx421 said:

Record?

I've been on the summit on day 1 many times. Shortest run was around 8 hrs with a Voyageur start in the TWM region back when I was still trying to get feats and achievements. I spent 2 months on the summit in a snow shelter to get the Pacifist and Silent Hunter achievements. It's probably possible to do it with less if you get a stim or coffee.

On Loper I've only done the summit once, but that was around day 100.

Cool, do you recall what the temp was on the summit day 100 on loper? I suppose it should be more challenging than climbing on day 1. I have yet to make it to the summit on difficulties below stalker, but living off the summit for 2 months, I suppose there was an abundance of food in the containers?

3 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

Well done with under 24 hrs :) I'll try the tree bridge path when spawning in TWM and see if I can make it closer to 24 hrs, just for sports (though my hacksaw tend to break at the summit without a toolbox). So far I've made 1st snow shelter in "cave dome" after ravine, 2nd the same as you in the open cave just below summit. Though it seems a little risky to avoid the supply cache in ravine since it provides so much cloth needed for shelter, but who am I to say no to an opportunity to get naked in the wild.

Its easy enough, best I can offer for the tree bridge route is to make sure you walk as you will need all the energy you can save to get up both ropes....after that second rope, there is no getting around it, you must sleep. If you only have the clothes you are wearing, you MUST get that snow shelter as close to inside that cave dome below the summit as possible, so that your fire will not go out if the weather flips on you during construction of the shelter and your resting period...

Other than that, a few birch bark along the way never hurt.

As for the hacksaw and other supply caches, sometimes it spawns inside the plane, if it does its at 100%, however anything above 70% is good enough. After raiding the summit, I typically follow a southern route to snag the cache by deer crossing, down to the big open cave to the south of that, down to the supply cache in the ravine, and then back to cabin with all the goodies.

Cool, do you recall what the temp was on the summit day 100 on loper? I suppose it should be more challenging than climbing on day 1. I have yet to make it to the summit on difficulties below stalker, but living off the summit for 2 months, I suppose there was an abundance of food in the containers?

Typically there is just enough food {some of it can be bad} for a few days visit....Crackers, sodas, coffee/tea, and beans n peaches.

Edited by wizard03

4 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

It was cold enough on Loper that a 20 degree warmth bonus wasn't enough to not freeze, I remember that :D

On Voyageur there's lots of food in the containers (*One container has nothing but MREs nearly a dozen on Voyageur, Stalker has these too, another has crackers and peanut butter. It's very different on Loper). I conserved a lot by starving during the day since I was just trying to pass the time. The survivor can last for a few days with no food if you don't mind the condition drop (*depending on the difficulty settings of course). Doing that I still had food when I came down the mountain. 

(BIG EDIT: It's also important to note I did this in 2016, small parts of the game balance have changed since then I can't say for certain if the calorie burns are the same)

Edited by Dx421

3 hours ago, Dx421 said:

It was cold enough on Loper that a 20 degree warmth bonus wasn't enough to not freeze, I remember that :D

On Voyageur there's lots of food in the containers (*One container has nothing but MREs nearly a dozen on Voyageur, Stalker has these too, another has crackers and peanut butter. It's very different on Loper). I conserved a lot by starving during the day since I was just trying to pass the time. The survivor can last for a few days with no food if you don't mind the condition drop (*depending on the difficulty settings of course). Doing that I still had food when I came down the mountain. 

(BIG EDIT: It's also important to note I did this in 2016, small parts of the game balance have changed since then I can't say for certain if the calorie burns are the same)

Oh that's right, forgot about the good ol' 1750cal MREs and the luxurious "problem" of carrying everything down the mountain and out to PV. I suppose I was expecting something similar on first interloper climb but there wasn't more than a few cans and some crackers. Don't think I ever ended up weighing more than 35kg after looting all containers including summit and descending (on loper).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, manolitodeespana said:

Oh that's right, forgot about the good ol' 1750cal MREs and the luxurious "problem" of carrying everything down the mountain and out to PV. I suppose I was expecting something similar on first interloper climb but there wasn't more than a few cans and some crackers. Don't think I ever ended up weighing more than 35kg after looting all containers including summit and descending (on loper).

Yeah I just did 5 runs up and down the mountain about a week ago. I had 4 container compartments full of stuff - somewhere between 80-120kg if I was to guess (I should have made a note) 

Each climb I'd carry down 15-20kgs, even after 5 runs there's still some extra tools up there. 

(This is playing on a Custom setting that uses the Stalker world spawn but with lower container densities. Lowering container density in custom settings has no effect on the plane crash containers)

• Upvote 1

I suggest you try doing the day one summit in Interloper. It's really not that hard, you just need to know your way around the map and a few tricks.

Spoilers

EZ way

For an easy day 1 summit, you need to luck out on getting a hacksaw spawn in the mountaineer's hut (25% chance). Conserve your energy and do not run, get to the wing container (watch out for moose! ) and saw it open for the coffee. From there, just go through the fallen tree bridge, climb to the deer clearing(chug a coffee to conserve stamina ), keep left and climb the ridge watching out for the occasional wolf patrol and take the mountain goat shortcut to the secluded shelf rope. Chug another coffee and climb the rope, get to the summit rope and you should be golden. I did this in many past updates and I can assure you the stamina drain from rope climbing was bigger before, with half stamina you can securely climb the final rope, just stay under 15 kilos and you should be golden. With the remaining three cofee doses you could easily climb the last rope and summit comfortably. This is the easy way.

The Naked Gambler Way

For this one you'll find your hacksaw at the summit, so you won't have the benefits of caffeine to help you on your way up. You'll need to sleep and therefore a snow shelter before the last rope, here's how:

You need to go naked and afraid, your starting clothing set won't provide you with 5 cloth (4 pieces if you tear everything apart, including undies) to build the damn snow shelter, so you need to walk to the mountaineer's hut and get the coat that spawns there, if you're lucky you'll get another set of clothing at the fishing hut by crystal lake. With this you'll have two cloth from the down vest or ski jacket by the hut, one cloth from socks, one from pants and one from your basic torso clothing item. 

Sometimes you'll get cloth at the mountaineer's hut workbench, which means less stuff to tear apart. You need to conserve energy for the climbing so walk, never run. You can comfortably climb the deer clearing rope and make by the secluded shelf rope without coffee and little stamina left. From there you need to place a snow shelter at the outside area before the summit rope and build a decently protected fire so you can sleep at least to mid fatigue bar. There's plenty of coal and firewood at the secluded shelf cave so pick it up. 

If you took this route, you have a 66% chance of having the hacksaw at the summit waiting for you, good luck! 

EDIT: The lucky RNG roll

This one is probably the fastest, but it depends on RNG. I just did a day one summit with it. Read on.

Spawning by the three way cave, make your way to said cave and grab matches, firewood. food item and torch. Head to the cave at the exit of the Echo ravine and loot the body outside(if there's one) and body inside the cave, there's a chance for a random clothing item in both ( got a baseball cap inside and a wool toque on the second roll outside ). It doesn't differ from the other naked method but it demands that you tear apart every single clothing item ( except shoes ). If you don't get any clothing item there, you've got to get down to the Hut.

You just can't take the hill shortcut at the deer clearing to the next rope, so I'll retreat what I said in the other method, the sprain system makes it impossible and since you need a bandage to tape up a bad ankle you can't afford sprains with this method. So my first try failed because of that:

20191230171052_1.thumb.jpg.ee6e1e1c2f325ed338402ff315055375.jpg

I succeeded with the second girl going to the right at deer clearing and looting the cave for firewood and a flare ( no coal! ) and then proceeded through the fog until I saw the fallen tree pointer to turn left and avoid the bear and wolf choke point before the secluded shelf rope:

20191230172610_1.thumb.jpg.3a3bdb1e20e381941d2947721c0e36d6.jpg

From there it's a breeze, given there are no predators. Here's how much stamina I had before the secluded shelf rope:

20191230172743_1.thumb.jpg.9d80728f86ffeba483710f059a42b1f0.jpg

Loot the cave, make a fire to warm up and crucially, tear your clothes and DO NOT BURN your sticks! You'll need 15 for the shelter, ah, and process sticks into tinder, you'll thank me later. Outside I place my snow shelter in a safe spot for the fire ( hint: the cave entrances somehow block the wind! 😞

20191230173416_1.thumb.jpg.ed2360830cf5d51a83153b2367da4f02.jpg

Slept for about six hours and that was too much, could've done the climb sleeping four more but I'm a wuss haha!

20191230174037_1.thumb.jpg.737af068c065c8fb4a494ce44b024385.jpg

Hacksaw was there with the spoils, sent this girl down back to the hut(wolf patrols have been changed, saw three wolves on the way back) and found more goodies. Still no pants, but I'll keep her going from time to time.

20191230174206_1.thumb.jpg.6cb335274294531159c777b9cea21358.jpg

Cheers!

20191230174422_1.thumb.jpg.ca13d143f81e6e57dcc481ffa73acbdc.jpg

Edited by Dan_
Added more stuff.
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Its easy enough, best I can offer for the tree bridge route is to make sure you walk as you will need all the energy you can save to get up both ropes....after that second rope, there is no getting around it, you must sleep. If you only have the clothes you are wearing, you MUST get that snow shelter as close to inside that cave dome below the summit as possible, so that your fire will not go out if the weather flips on you during construction of the shelter and your resting period...

Other than that, a few birch bark along the way never hurt.

As for the hacksaw and other supply caches, sometimes it spawns inside the plane, if it does its at 100%, however anything above 70% is good enough. After raiding the summit, I typically follow a southern route to snag the cache by deer crossing, down to the big open cave to the south of that, down to the supply cache in the ravine, and then back to cabin with all the goodies.

Typically there is just enough food {some of it can be bad} for a few days visit....Crackers, sodas, coffee/tea, and beans n peaches.

Agreed, I prefer to preserve the energy and walk all the way, depending on the weather/hypothermia risk when making the long walk alongside deer clearing. After some freezing struggles I've found it's possible to place the snow shelter just inside the Cave dome, close to the left wall facing away from the entrance. But even inside the dome, there's like a 30-40% chance that a fire next to the cave wall will last the whole night, in my experience. As for descending, I like taking the "sprain route" behind the plane best, as it's literally a 10 min trip real time, much appreciated by my heavily loaded survivor :)

20 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

Agreed, I prefer to preserve the energy and walk all the way, depending on the weather/hypothermia risk when making the long walk alongside deer clearing. After some freezing struggles I've found it's possible to place the snow shelter just inside the Cave dome, close to the left wall facing away from the entrance. But even inside the dome, there's like a 30-40% chance that a fire next to the cave wall will last the whole night, in my experience. As for descending, I like taking the "sprain route" behind the plane best, as it's literally a 10 min trip real time, much appreciated by my heavily loaded survivor :)

Just blown away all previous attempts. This time, I did not sleep until after I reached the summit!
Interloper run, lucky hacksaw spawn, took a short "nap" in cabin, but cabin to summit, no sleep on interloper!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/528964498?t=00h14m08s

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Just blown away all previous attempts. This time, I did not sleep until after I reached the summit!
Interloper run, lucky hacksaw spawn, took a short "nap" in cabin, but cabin to summit, no sleep on interloper!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/528964498?t=00h14m08s

Nicely done! You almost cut your record in half :) I didn't try taking a break in the Eastern Cave after tree bridge yet and probably gonna give that a go later today.  If I make it under 24hrs I'll be celebrating with a new years flare from the summit. Will keep you posted.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

The thread actually makes me want to Snowball again. Ah, good times these were.

17 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

Nicely done! You almost cut your record in half :) I didn't try taking a break in the Eastern Cave after tree bridge yet and probably gonna give that a go later today.  If I make it under 24hrs I'll be celebrating with a new years flare from the summit. Will keep you posted.

Yeah, not sure if Ill ever be able to beat that one really, if I do, its only going to be about an hour in game or so. Nothing to really go crazy about. But getting all those goodies right away in interloper mode is one of the best things you can do to prep for the rest of the run.

Guest jeffpeng

But getting all those goodies right away in interloper mode is one of the best things you can do to prep for the rest of the run.

Since my take on Snowballing TWM I usually gravitate towards the Summit in all my games very, very early. Unless I have ludicrous loot luck - like finding Work Boots, Ear Wraps and two Ski Jackets - I pretty much leave most things by the wayside and get to TWM first. As of late I've been going HRV when my spawn "suggested" it, like starting FM or MT, but TWM always is a top consideration.

5 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Since my take on Snowballing TWM I usually gravitate towards the Summit in all my games very, very early. Unless I have ludicrous loot luck - like finding Work Boots, Ear Wraps and two Ski Jackets - I pretty much leave most things by the wayside and get to TWM first. As of late I've been going HRV when my spawn "suggested" it, like starting FM or MT, but TWM always is a top consideration.

Same, it's awesome to get most essential items except some tools. I'm thinking of trying out HRV, the spawn next to ice cave. Where do you go for clothes there in early game, like mysterious signal fire for mackinaw jacket and ice cave for cache with combatpants and earwraps?

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, manolitodeespana said:

Same, it's awesome to get most essential items except some tools. I'm thinking of trying out HRV, the spawn next to ice cave. Where do you go for clothes there in early game, like mysterious signal fire for mackinaw jacket and ice cave for cache with combatpants and earwraps?

Signal Fire .... you can't rush that, really. One you cannot go without a hatchet - the other you cannot go without facing fluffy/scruffy/buffy/duffy/cabluffy or whatever her name is. But the pants and the wraps are worth the detour if you start in FM or MT anyways.

16 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Iv tried a few runs at HRV, but I can't find any shelter, so I kinda don't like it. Id like to know Im not going to freeze to death if my fire goes out. o.o

Iv tried a few runs at HRV, but I can't find any shelter, so I kinda don't like it. Id like to know Im not going to freeze to death if my fire goes out. o.o

If you head for an ice Cave entrance you'll likely find some clothes that you can recycle and use for snow shelter and sleep 2-3 hrs at a time. But there's a bedroll in ice cave if I remember correctly and a decent cave by the western mountainside that rarely goes below freezing temp if you got basic clothing. Lumpy the mad wolf may be avoided by cutting corners carefully.  

Guest jeffpeng

there's a bedroll in ice cave if I remember correctly

There's always a bedroll on the map, yes, but it has 3 or even 4 different locations.

Lumpy the mad wolf may be avoided by cutting corners carefully.  

Well I never managed that. And I've been through that cave ... a lot.

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

There's always a bedroll on the map, yes, but it has 3 or even 4 different locations.

Well I never managed that. And I've been through that cave ... a lot.

I've managed to avoid being attacked, but of course I've been roadblocked and had to turn back.

I did it once sub-24 hours, voyageur difficulty.  Got a spawn just below the rope to the Deer Clearing, decided to go up instead of down.  Took a nap in the secluded shelf cave.  Run ended on the summit though... no hacksaw and I just didn't feel like going back down.  Jumped and started a new run instead.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, manolitodeespana said:

I've managed to avoid being attacked, but of course I've been roadblocked and had to turn back.

You can slip by the roadblock on that side of the signal fire if you go to the small ramp to the left of it and slide down behind it. You just can't go back. So you either bring a rope and climb down .... you do slide down the mountain - which is easier than you might think.

The real issue is the other Signal Fire where you cannot avoid the road block (anymore).

I made the climb up and returned to the hut in under 4 game hours using a bajillion stims and coffee.  I did that so I could see what the mountaineer's hut looked like from the summit when you have 14 storm lanterns going at once.  Then I just goated my way back down, and all of the lanterns were still lit when I arrived so it was definitely under 4 hours.

Screenie taken at the summit, because it was neat.

20190426173348_1.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1