Do you appreciate for added the ability to break down Campfire?

stmSantana

27 minutes ago, odium said:

i like the idea behind it but i dont want 1-14 charcoal forced into my inventory, so instead of campfires i get to look at charcoal sprinkled all over the map

Agreed.

There already is an option to take the charcoal from the fires so breaking them down should just de-spawn it, not a huge deal for early games but when your 500 days into loper run all that charcoal is just not necessary and like you said it just gets left all over the place.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Charcoal is used for gunpowder. Dismantling really helps when you've placed a fire in a slightly erroneous spot and it blocks a better placement.

i think you should have the option to harvest charcoal prior to break down, then breaking down just cleans the graphic portion.  im not overly interested in ammo crafting myself but i cant imagine you need hundreds of charcoal, and if you need some you will inevitably burn plenty of fires along the length of your game play

• Upvote 3

I like having the option to break down fires; but since wolves no longer fear fire, I really don't think there are going to be a lot of them that I'll be breaking down anyways... so whether or not they just put the charcoal into my inventory or not is not a big issue for me.  If I don't need it for gunpowder or mapping, I'll just store it on the first corpse I encounter (which is what I do with my excess tinder anyways.

I think a toggle choice in the UI as we're breaking down the fire would be the best solution.  That way, if you do need/want the charcoal, you wouldn't accidentally lose it by forgetting to grab it before breaking down the fire.

13 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Charcoal is used for gunpowder. Dismantling really helps when you've placed a fire in a slightly erroneous spot and it blocks a better placement.

Agreed.

And it's optional. If you find a great spot for a campfire, that *always* has wind shelter, and room for a snow shelter, or a bedroll, you can leave the burned out fire there, for relighting at a later date and time. Charcoal? I can dump it in a tucked away corner, or store it in a corpse, or an outdoor metal container I don't use for anything else. Or a car trunk. Ect.

Or use it when I am bored, to draw "questionable" things on the ice or snow. And by "questionable", I mean... pictures of anything that are not Pancakes.

I like the option, and have no issues with how it is. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 11:39 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Or use it when I am bored, to draw "questionable" things on the ice or snow. And by "questionable", I mean... pictures of anything that are not Pancakes.

I'm sure I'm not alone in insisting that we be presented with photographic evidence of said works of art... 

On 12/28/2019 at 8:18 AM, ajb1978 said:

I personally have been taking the unwanted charcoal with me and depositing it in the first trash receptacle I encounter.  Same with unwanted tinder plugs from ripping up cardboard.

lol, so that's why every time I check a trash bin, I either find a lump of charcoal or a random tinder plug...

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, so that's why every time I check a trash bin, I either find a lump of charcoal or a random tinder plug...

Haha, yeah - I started a new game these days and found charcoal and tinder plugs in the trash bins as well. :)

Would be cool if the game took notice of where players deposit excess material and would spawn it in other players' games in those places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Haha, yeah - I started a new game these days and found charcoal and tinder plugs in the trash bins as well. :)

Would be cool if the game took notice of where players deposit excess material and would spawn it in other players' games in those places.

Right?  I was thinking something just along those lines as well.  More so,  finding the corpse of a dead player who died by wolf attack and collecting all their useable gear!

• Upvote 1

I very much appreciate the option to break down campfires.  Before, when campfires were permanent fixtures I would almost never put down one... even when it would have been very advantageous for me to do so (like carving a carcass and things like that).  I've always admitted it was due to the personal desire to not clutter up the landscape... but now that I can break them down, I feel free now to use campfires as freely as those who didn't mind littering the landscape prior to inclusion of this option.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Yup, I appreciate the inclusion of this option very much :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Breaking down a campfire would be more useful/realistic if as an aspect of that mechanic there was a way of putting out a fire you were done with and recovering the unspent fuel. This is what you actually can do when traveling in the wild and finishing a lunch break. Damp down and extinguish the fire. Recover the unburnt wood and put it to one side.

3 hours ago, dahemac said:

Breaking down a campfire would be more useful/realistic if as an aspect of that mechanic there was a way of putting out a fire you were done with and recovering the unspent fuel. This is what you actually can do when traveling in the wild and finishing a lunch break. Damp down and extinguish the fire. Recover the unburnt wood and put it to one side.

Step 1: Take torch from fire

Step 2: Harvest torch to gain a stick

Step 3: Repeat step 1 and 2 until fire is under 10 minutes duration

• Upvote 2