TehFlashBang

Finding the Cure for Invisi-Bear

Recommended Posts

While casually strolling through Mystery Lake, I happened upon a strange sight at the Hunter's Blind near the Trapper's Homestead.

Invisi-Bear.

All the noise,

- Thundering Footsteps

- Growls

- Fleeing Screams

- Charging

No body though.

Was playing on Interloper and had the Sh** scared out of me as I had to juggle the bear and a wolf while trying to harvest a deer and bunny. Relogging didn't fix the issue. Used the Hunter's Blind to avoid getting attacked. Any other tips? Any similar stories? I'm interested to hear how you guys are holding up with these new updates. I believe its the first time I've ever had a bear spawn under the terrain, and it scared the crap out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think that was a bear-spawn point.  I know a wolf wanders there periodically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been about a year ...maybe two...but I've heard that before.  I have seen bears spawn there before, and when they make terrain changes, sometimes that bear spawns below the ice.

Edit: Wanted to add that's a dangerous one, because the bear can attack you THROUGH the ice, if you're in the wrong spot.  So it's best to vacate the area once you hear the sounds of a panicked bear, before he can recover his senses.

Edited by ajb1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the phantom bear before, and like @ajb1978 been attacked by them. 

Curiosity kills. 

Better to leave at once. 

The hunter's blind isn't the only place where the phantom bears can appear. I've encountered them in TWM and CH as well. It's a pretty old 'bug'.

Edited by Dx421
Added CH reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bear at Unnamed Pond has been a "thing" in the game for some time. A few of my friends and I took to calling him "Spirit Bear", because of his eerie and magical presence there. Usually while we were trying to harvest the deer carcass there. We learned to always harvest from the top, on the snow, not from the bottom, on the ice. Since that seems to be where the Spirit Bear spawn box is. 

2 hours ago, Dx421 said:

I've heard the phantom bear before, and like @ajb1978 been attacked by them. 

Curiosity kills. 

Better to leave at once. 

The hunter's blind isn't the only place where the phantom bears can appear. I've encountered them in TWM and CH as well. It's a pretty old 'bug'.

This. ^^^.

PV as well, near the Farmhouse. Only once, but... that was enough for me to never open that porch door without listening for Bear Crows and bear noises first.

Spirit Bear gets around, lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've died from spirit bears twice recently. Once at said blind, and once by the cabins in BI. For that one, I briefly saw his head pop up from the ice. Then got attacked out of nowhere, a little later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please report issues with The Long Dark using our Support Portal at thelongdark.com/support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 4:38 AM, Admin said:

Please report issues with The Long Dark using our Support Portal at thelongdark.com/support. 

I'm truly not trying to be an asshat here... but seriously? How many more reports of underground bears do you need? You guys already know this is an issue. Has been for a long time years. And clearly, it's still ongoing. I recall seeing one BI incident in a recent video on YouTube.

Edited by JAFO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, TehFlashBang said:

I believe its the first time I've ever had a bear spawn under the terrain, and it scared the crap out of me.

Frankly, Spirit Bears worry me less than Teleporting Timberwolves...

Here's one walking around on the "safe" overhead walkway at BI - https://youtu.be/E7A25x2UMw0?t=196

And another that several times manages to teleport up onto the "safe" Cannery Pier... and then bites the player through a wall.

https://youtu.be/E7A25x2UMw0?t=2393

 

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DaveMcD said:

Just saw this one on one of the discord channels this morning

Bear shark!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 10:30 PM, stratvox said:

Bear shark!

Lolz !

 

@TehFlashBang

I met the invisibear on Mistery Lake. I was in the hunting hut, hear the damn thing getting close, shoot some arrows hoping to hit it, get out of the hut to check whether it was only sound, got mauled by the ghost bear, the animation played, after that it appeared.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got this all wrong. The bear is not a bear. It's a mole. A big one. Also lives under the radio tower in PV at times. Just met it there recently.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my game post 1.69, every other bear is invisi-bear, in all areas. Fun part is, every other wolf is also invisi-wolf (only appears during the fight-scene). And even funnier part is every animal killed in every area sinks into the ground, taking an arrow with them forever. So all that is left is to hunt deer, which when not insta-killed and sink into the ground, beelines directly for the new small changes to the landscape here and there to get stuck in the geometry...and then sinks into the ground. I still see the birds on top of an inaccessible cliff, or half a bird flying around at ground level inside a rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your game is as broken as mine is.  694 days into an interloper run and roughly 5 months of real time effort invested.  I'm beyond disgusted.  Seems that I'm not anywhere near alone in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Retiro said:

Sounds like your game is as broken as mine is.  694 days into an interloper run and roughly 5 months of real time effort invested.  I'm beyond disgusted.  Seems that I'm not anywhere near alone in this.

No you're not. I've even rolled back because of this - but it is even in the previous version: Crossroads Elegy, at least to some extend. I even tried out Vigilant Flame (Version from like 18 months ago) .... but that has other issues. I guess the closest you can come to the current version that should be free of this bug is 1.56 aka Steadfast Ranger, but that doesn't have new Pleasant Valley. Plus of course your "new" games won't work in old versions.

I guess unless you wanna go and start "fresh" on an old game version the best course of action really is to wait. It's really quite a mess.

Edited by jeffpeng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

No you're not. I've even rolled back because of this - but it is even in the previous version: Crossroads Elegy, at least to some extend. I even tried out Vigilant Flame (Version from like 18 months ago) .... but that has other issues. I guess the closest you can come to the current version that should be free of this bug is 1.56 aka Steadfast Ranger, but that doesn't have new Pleasant Valley. Plus of course your "new" games won't work in old versions.

I guess unless you wanna go and start "fresh" on an old game version the best course of action really is to wait. It's really quite a mess.

Download the hotfix that just came out today (as soon as it is available on the platform you play on). It is supposed to fix the issue with animals spawning under the terrain and carcasses falling below the terrain.

https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/36380-the-long-dark-hotfixed-to-v171-58341/?tab=comments#comment-189902

Edited by ThePancakeLady
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 8:08 PM, JAFO said:

Frankly, Spirit Bears worry me less than Teleporting Timberwolves...

Here's one walking around on the "safe" overhead walkway at BI - https://youtu.be/E7A25x2UMw0?t=196

And another that several times manages to teleport up onto the "safe" Cannery Pier... and then bites the player through a wall.

https://youtu.be/E7A25x2UMw0?t=2393

 

Dear lord that is terrifying. I'd hate to be the guy who gets caught up there trying to get away from those Timberwolves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 11:43 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Download the hotfix that just came out today

Wonderful, thank you for the heads up.  I have a ghost on Timberwolf Mountain... I'll be curious to go back and check on it once I have this update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now